The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-28-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
Hey I just stumbled across this one the Audient iD22 after Googling the Tascam UH-7000. Thing is I am about a week away from making my own personal decision which interface to upgrade to from my UR22. I said I was strongly considering the MOTU but have ran across some reviewers that have the unit that concerns me some.

The Audient is only USB 2, not firewire or Thunderbolt but if you look at it as a complete piece, something to not overlook.
Killer clean mic pre's with enough gain for hungry ribbons and dynamics. Some really nice i/o options, straight forward software console. Hi current Headphone amp fed by a independent DAC. Plug and play for Mac OSX. I'll provide the Sweetwater url because of the convience of vids but I plan on researching this thoroughly and ask my Studio owner friend what he thinks as well. It is always a good thing to have as many choices as possible.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iD22/

btw if it was between a SM58 or 57 I'd go with a 57 if I were you. I guess there are various mods for each for those that like to tinker but am not well informed as to what it entails or cost.

Another good interface: like you said not t bolt or firewire but it's now on my list. I did talk to sweetwater regarding the
Jam 96k , that's where I got it and the guy I talked to was very cool and spent a lot of time on the phone and his thoughts were if my pre amp (Art TUBE MP Studio) had phantom power (which it does , and can be turned off and on) it should be able to run a condenser and also a dynamic mic with line out to Jam with a 1/4 to 1/4 cord to garageband . I am not going to get an interface just yet , just getting into garage band, supposed to be intuitive but I can tell it will take some time , software and recording basics .So I asked the guy at sweetwater for a mic suggestion priced in the lower moderate range that would be good for vocals and acoustic guitar, would be a small step up from sm57
sE2200a 11
Studio Projects CS5
Miktek C1

from another source ADK A-6--------- and this one you can get under 200 bucks and Stellar CM5 I think this one is 416.00
back to garageband.. thanks for you advise

Last edited by gtonesine; 08-28-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonesine View Post
Another good interface: like you said not t bolt or firewire but it's now on my list. I did talk to sweetwater regarding the
Jam 96k , that's where I got it and the guy I talked to was very cool and spent a lot of time on the phone and his thoughts were if my pre amp (Art TUBE MP Studio) had phantom power (which it does , and can be turned off and on) it should be able to run a condenser and also a dynamic mic with line out to Jam with a 1/4 to 1/4 cord to garageband . I am not going to get an interface just yet , just getting into garage band, supposed to be intuitive but I can tell it will take some time , software and recording basics .So I asked the guy at sweetwater for a mic suggestion priced in the lower moderate range that would be good for vocals and acoustic guitar, would be a small step up from sm57
sE2200a 11
Studio Projects CS5
Miktek C1

from another source ADK A-6--------- and this one you can get under 200 bucks and Stellar CM5 I think this one is 416.00
back to garageband.. thanks for you advise
DuDe if you have the right voice for the CM-5 grab it very vintage, smokey the diff between the CM-6 is it is more open for deeper voices. No worries for sibiliance with the CM-5 the guy really worked with me I'll pm you a link to SC where id just did a Beatle cover using it on all acoustic gtrs. and vox
from the movie Help "You got to hide your love away. Both CM 5&6 comes with a nice flight case power supply and finally a good shockmount
Old 08-29-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
DuDe if you have the right voice for the CM-5 grab it very vintage, smokey the diff between the CM-6 is it is more open for deeper voices. No worries for sibiliance with the CM-5 the guy really worked with me I'll pm you a link to SC where id just did a Beatle cover using it on all acoustic gtrs. and vox
from the movie Help "You got to hide your love away. Both CM 5&6 comes with a nice flight case power supply and finally a good shockmount
that CM-6 sounds like it works for you really nicely , are the Stellar CM's good multi purpose mics ? are they good for acoustic guitar and other instruments ?
they cost more than the other mics in the list , I am assuming they are a step up from the other mics
edit additional:
just read this review* and listened to the clips , to my novice ear the CM 5 seems to hold up against the other mics in the review and the high end Blue Bottle(s)
additionally they were matched up on acoustic guitar , drums and vocals so they appear to have all round usability , thanks whitecloud
* http://recordinghacks.com/2012/04/09...ar-cm5-review/

Last edited by gtonesine; 08-29-2014 at 02:26 PM. Reason: online demo of CM 5 against a blue bottle

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD