The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-29-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationAngel View Post
Go get 'em... don't be intimidated by the weight of it, there IS a lot to learn but I started from scratch a few years ago and just love noodling around in my studio. You don't have to go crazy, you don't have to have a perfect environment in which to get started, you just need a musical idea, a few items (mics etc) and some basics of working in Logic. If you don't start making things in short order you'll find yourself getting bogged down in the details, lost in the weeds and with a terrible case of analysis paralysis.

And remember: YouTube and Google are your friends

I just found this and it seems pretty useful:

Think I'm going to start simple as you mention,Apogee mic and headphones, and go from there. I know the more I put in to it, the more I will get out of it. Next, purchase a Mac!! I will keep you updated Martin, and Thanks for everyone's great advise!!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 07-29-2014, 10:04 PM

I still use the previous version for drum loops and synth brains (I record everything on my iPad these days, so I just move the files around). That new drummer feature has me seriously considering upgrading, though.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:10 AM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
That new drummer feature has me seriously considering upgrading, though.
The Drummer feature is so much fun, so smart and has some really baffling nuances... and I say baffling in a 'how do they DO that' kind of way.

For a start there are the quirky drummer 'names' which I thought were a bit hokey at first but, after a while of using them, I realize that I sort of understand the way the 'people' play so I have a feeling of which drummer I want to use on a track.

Then there's the producer kits. Kits that you can not only customize up to the hilt but that you can split out into different channels in the mixer just like a multi-miked drum kit.

Once you have that down there's all of the stuff you can do with each region; pushing or pulling the beat, adding swing, 8ths and 16ths, and the trackpad that runs simple to complex in the X axis and soft to hard in the Y.

When you add a drummer track it puts in two regions–a verse and a chorus–but you can chop those up as much as you want, change each one, tweak them from here to the moon and back and, when you play them back, they flow smoothly from one to the other as if by magic. You can the level of frill to your 'fills' and start to create something really organic sounding.

Then there are the 'power tips'. Stuff like; if you extend the beginning of a region into an empty space then it'll 'pickup' into the track. If you extend the end of a region into an empty space then it'll end on a fill.

Another really cool thing is that you can use it in conjunction with your existing drum samplers if you want. You can drag and drop any or all Drummer regions into a MIDI track and it will convert the drummer to MIDI... then apply your own sampler (I used to use a lot of DFH) and bob's your uncle. Another top tip in there; if you option-drag the region then it'll logically link rather than just convert so that changes you make to drummer will update in the MIDI track.

I love it. I can literally say that it's changed how I approach making tracks. I can actually play the drums so I used to go to ridiculous lengths to program in a MIDI track (because I haven't got a kit or room to put one or desire to mic it all up) and now I get started in Drummer...
Old 07-30-2014, 01:23 PM

Yeah, I've been looking pretty closely at it. I love the way you can get granular with the tracks in ways that you couldn't with the (already pretty frakking amazing) loops.

Plus, I'm sick of the bugs with older Logic(s) and Mavericks. If my loop browser or instrument browser vanishes one more time I'm going to have to go to Cupertino and hurt someone.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
The Drummer feature is so much fun, so smart and has some really baffling nuances... and I say baffling in a 'how do they DO that' kind of way.

For a start there are the quirky drummer 'names' which I thought were a bit hokey at first but, after a while of using them, I realize that I sort of understand the way the 'people' play so I have a feeling of which drummer I want to use on a track.

Then there's the producer kits. Kits that you can not only customize up to the hilt but that you can split out into different channels in the mixer just like a multi-miked drum kit.

Once you have that down there's all of the stuff you can do with each region; pushing or pulling the beat, adding swing, 8ths and 16ths, and the trackpad that runs simple to complex in the X axis and soft to hard in the Y.

When you add a drummer track it puts in two regions–a verse and a chorus–but you can chop those up as much as you want, change each one, tweak them from here to the moon and back and, when you play them back, they flow smoothly from one to the other as if by magic. You can the level of frill to your 'fills' and start to create something really organic sounding.

Then there are the 'power tips'. Stuff like; if you extend the beginning of a region into an empty space then it'll 'pickup' into the track. If you extend the end of a region into an empty space then it'll end on a fill.

Another really cool thing is that you can use it in conjunction with your existing drum samplers if you want. You can drag and drop any or all Drummer regions into a MIDI track and it will convert the drummer to MIDI... then apply your own sampler (I used to use a lot of DFH) and bob's your uncle. Another top tip in there; if you option-drag the region then it'll logically link rather than just convert so that changes you make to drummer will update in the MIDI track.

I love it. I can literally say that it's changed how I approach making tracks. I can actually play the drums so I used to go to ridiculous lengths to program in a MIDI track (because I haven't got a kit or room to put one or desire to mic it all up) and now I get started in Drummer...
i've used logic for quite a few years and have to agree with desolation angel's posts regarding logic. the drummer is fantastic and has changed my recordings adding that "almost human" feel vs. canned apple loops. also, creating the arrangement first( intro, verse, chorus....outro) has REALLY made the change much more human. the ability to then alter each to fit what you want is another huge plus!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-30-2014, 04:59 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
... I'm going to have to go to Cupertino and hurt someone.
Please don't... they're a smart group of people that work really hard to make the tool what it is.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:25 PM

As a long-time AAPL stockholder, it's probably not in my best interests, either.

Quote:
Please don't... they're a smart group of people that work really hard to make the tool what it is.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:11 AM

[QUOTE=midwinter;4062676]
Plus, I'm sick of the bugs with older Logic(s) and Mavericks.

Is the new version of Logic working well on Mavericks ? I am still using
Mountain Lion 10.8.5 , would there be compatibility concerns with the latest
release of Logic ?
Old 08-23-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonesine View Post
Is the new version of Logic working well on Mavericks ? I am still using Mountain Lion 10.8.5 , would there be compatibility concerns with the latest release of Logic ?
Logic Pro X is working just fine for me on two Mavericks machines (an iMac and a newer MBP)... but I can't speak to plug-in or hardware compatibility's. I don't really use many but what I have–DFH Superior and Apogee Quartet–works fine.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Logic Pro X is working just fine for me on two Mavericks machines (an iMac and a newer MBP)... but I can't speak to plug-in or hardware compatibility's. I don't really use many but what I have–DFH Superior and Apogee Quartet–works fine.
most if not all of the plugins should work just fine. if it is 3rd party, you may need to run the audio units manager in preferences.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 08-24-2014, 11:34 AM

Jumping from a Zoom to a DAW is quite a leap. Especially for one with 0 DAW experience. I would buy a audio interface first that works for both MAC and PC and Demo Cubase, Reaper and a few others on your PC first. The Steinberg UR series, Focusrite has interfaces between 150-300 dollars. I have been toying with going back to Apple after over 10 years of Windows but am researching to see if that is a good plan or not. I would think Garageband a good way to get your toes wet. The last time I used Logic was before Emagic was bought out by Apple and I was using OS 9+. That was ages ago.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:21 PM

[QUOTE=DesolationAngel;4059527]When you create a new project in Logic you can use a template or create one for yourself... for example, the 'singer/songwriter' template has a drum track, an acoustic guitar track, a vocal track, a bass track and a grand piano track. The drum track is a software instrument (and a very clever one), the guitar, vocal and bass tracks are set up to record in from an external source (mic or line) and the grand piano is a regular MIDI-based software instrument.

Quartet: 1400 bucks. Next level up. Four ins, eight outs. This is great for running multiple lines to multiple people if you were recording a group session for instance. Or, if you're a one man band, like me, you can run four lines to different parts of the studio so that you're not forever running lines out in different configurations for acoustic, bass, vocals etc. So, for instance, I have two XLRs running out to a stereo mic pair, one XLR running to a DI box which I plug my bass into and another XLR line running to a LDC, any of which can be used whenever I need 'em.

I have a question regarding Quartet:
The specs/photo of the Quartet show four analog inputs combi mic/instrument -- 1/4 or XLR
Why do you use a DI box for your bass? when it seems to me you can plug it directly into the Quartet ?
I have an apogee Jam 96k as my only interface and am interested in getting something more sophisticated
Old 09-09-2014, 05:56 PM

[QUOTE=gtonesine;4123996]
Quote:
When you create a new project in Logic you can use a template or create one for yourself... for example, the 'singer/songwriter' template has a drum track, an acoustic guitar track, a vocal track, a bass track and a grand piano track. The drum track is a software instrument (and a very clever one), the guitar, vocal and bass tracks are set up to record in from an external source (mic or line) and the grand piano is a regular MIDI-based software instrument.

Quartet: 1400 bucks. Next level up. Four ins, eight outs. This is great for running multiple lines to multiple people if you were recording a group session for instance. Or, if you're a one man band, like me, you can run four lines to different parts of the studio so that you're not forever running lines out in different configurations for acoustic, bass, vocals etc. So, for instance, I have two XLRs running out to a stereo mic pair, one XLR running to a DI box which I plug my bass into and another XLR line running to a LDC, any of which can be used whenever I need 'em.

I have a question regarding Quartet:
The specs/photo of the Quartet show four analog inputs combi mic/instrument -- 1/4 or XLR
Why do you use a DI box for your bass? when it seems to me you can plug it directly into the Quartet ?
I have an apogee Jam 96k as my only interface and am interested in getting something more sophisticated
some people prefer the di for the cleanness, or, they may have a combination of di and direct. then, mix and match to your hearts content.

i have the ensemble which is the older brother to the quartet. i plug my bass right into the 1/4" in front and it sounds great clean with no effects or plugins. depending upon the song, i may have to do a little with eq and comp to make it fit perfectly. the preamps in my ensemble are great and i never have to crank it.

i also will plug in any of my guitars for a really clean recording. effects may be applied later.

play music!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-17-2014, 08:33 PM

I hate to resurrect this thread, but I picked up Logic over the weekend and HOLY CRAP that drummer features is incredible. It really does change the workflow for the better.

Amazing stuff.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:23 PM

it is not 100% and, as all of this stuff is, it requires tweaking, but, you end up with something that closely resembles a human. it has inspired me to no end!

you may want to explore the details section of the drummer where you can dampen, lower the gain, and push or pull the drum parts to be ahead or behind the beat. you can also make each part louder or softer, complex or simple as well as change the way drum signature.

enjoy!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD