The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-09-2014, 05:00 AM

Default What's a good recording app for Android?

What's a good recording app for Android? I'm looking for an app for simple recording singing with an acoustic guitar. Hopefully it can cut out unwanted noise a normal room with background noise. I've been using the standard voice recorder that came with the phone and I'm looking for something better. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:07 AM

I don't know of any. The guy at Auria told me his company could not make a comparable DAW for Android.

Anyway, here are a few listed.

http://appcrawlr.com/android-apps/be...daw-on-android

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Well, there's "good" and then there's "good." I'm using the free Hi-Q MP3 Recorder app for Android.

Plusses:
~ Very simple. Play around with the recording volume (Gain) to get it right for you, and then you have this simple interface consisting of a Start (recording) and a Stop button. Great for grabbing a song concept or arrangement idea. (I'm a geek in my day job, but completely intuitive, non-technical when I'm in music mode. This is my current solution.)
~ The Settings menu allows you to set different aspects for Recording: Bit Rate, Stereo or Mono, Gain & Mic Selection. You can also some adjustments to the interface and other functions. I have never compared this with what I'd get with the $3.99 version.
~ The Recordings Folder where you save the songs you wanna keep, allows you to Play, Rename, Delete, Share/Send, or Open with another player or app. I'll listen to a cut on the horrible phone speaker, then if it sounds ok, I'll share/send via gmail and then open and save to my laptop's hard-drive. (I have free Audacity software loaded on my laptop but have never used to process files created with Hi-Q.)
~ Lots of memory comes with the free version. I've recorded dozens of songs and I still have 62 hours of space left to work with. If I ever get close to running out of space, I'll probably just delete some of my existing files.

Minuses:
~ It's not completely quiet especially before you start playing.
~ I'm still trying to figure out the proper recording Gain. Some recorded songs have sections that sound over-driven or odd.

So, good not great, but for a free app, it ain't bad. Here's a simple sample where I'm recording live with guitar and voice directly into the app:

https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...e-pillow-take2

The SC file embedded in my signature will give you a different setup. I'm running the same guitar thru acoupla pedals into a tube amp which is placed further away from the phone while recording into the Hi-Q app.

Anyway, my 2 cents. I'm thinking about getting a higher quality mic that I can plug into my phone.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 08-18-2014, 05:14 AM

Hi Ramdom1643,

Thanks for the info. I'll try out that app this weekend.

I have been trying out Easy Voice Recorder. The free version seems to be better than the pro. It cuts out background noise and when set to 44hz it sounds really good. But there seems to be a recording noise like playing a vinyl record.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD