The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-01-2014, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Tascam speakers

This will be my first attempt at recording. I picked up a Tascam DR-05 that was on sale, not realizing I needed powered speakers. Can someone recommend an inexpensive, yet good sounding brand? I will be using this to expand my guitar practice for the most part. Thanks.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradHall View Post
This will be my first attempt at recording. I picked up a Tascam DR-05 that was on sale, not realizing I needed powered speakers. Can someone recommend an inexpensive, yet good sounding brand? I will be using this to expand my guitar practice for the most part. Thanks.
Alesis M1 mk2 are what I use. They're around $300/pair.

Here's a list of 12 affordable monitors.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/...akers-570959/2

Buy yourself a good set of headphones too. In fact, I'd buy the good headphones first. I use Sennheiser HD280's and AKG K240's.

I prefer the AKG's. But the HD280's seem to track close to my monitors.
I know a mix on the 280's will sound about the same as it sounds on my monitors.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:40 PM

Depends on how "inexpensive" you're talking about and what you'll settle for.

I personally wouldn't get anything less than 5", but the one thing that I would consider essential in your case is a volume control on the front panel of the monitor.

Here's an example of a low-end solution. Do remember that Sweetwater extends warranty for an additional year free of charge on most products.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MS16/

It's easy to suggest you spend a bunch more money, but I have the feeling that's not the direction you prefer to go.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replies. I will mostly use the recorder to play back acoustic guitar practice sessions to see where I need more work. I'll be using the slow down feature to learn new stuff. High quality recording/playback is not an issue at this point in my journey. Cost is a big factor.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I will mostly use the recorder to play back acoustic guitar practice sessions to see where I need more work. I'll be using the slow down feature to learn new stuff. High quality recording/playback is not an issue at this point in my journey. Cost is a big factor.
I use a cheap pair of computer speakers for under $20 for just this purpose used in a small, cramped room I use for casual play/practice/record times.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
But what's your budget? Look for used deals if it's really tight. Musicians Friend's catalog has a pair of JBL LSR305s for $225 right now, GC will match it if you bring the catalog in - I got mine yesterday, fantastic studio speakers for the price.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-03-2014, 04:44 PM

The whole "must have" flat response, properly translating, studio quality, near field monitors is bibcally overblown. I'd venture a guess that 98% of the folks on this forum are never in jeopardy of being misrepresented by monitors that don't translate. It's a web forum wives tale to a Titanic degree.

I've mixed on 1031's forever. Recently I did a two week stint on M-Audio bx5a's (there is a backstory here but not terrible important in making this point). Nobody and I mean nobody down the chain of command mentioned anything about the quality of my mixes. Not a peep from a group of folk that are traditionally the most picky, eye-pecking, critical people on earth.

There's a thousand traps of poor mixing techniques and environments and performances that must be solved waaaaay before one starts chanting Adam monitors. My favorite monitors of all time were the old Radio Shack Minimus. For recording music they were just the right size and efficiency to musically inspire. I "wanted" to mix and record on those things. I wanted to be in their stereo perspective. They created a lovely little sonic landscape. They translated poorly..... or maybe just ok is a better phrase but it took a matter of minutes to realize how to compensate. They were cheap, cheap, cheap and I wish I could find another pair.

My advice to the OP is buy the cheapest thing you can find that'll do the trick. Position whatever you buy in a manner that makes you feel good about your playing. Don't worry about the dire warnings concerning the need for a flat response environment. That's non-sense. I suspect in the end you can accomplish this on the exceedingly cheap side.

From there you'll know when (and if) you need to start buying stuff. It's a frivolous endeavor however at this point to go beyond something that just works and in truth something that just works should be very inexpensive.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
The whole "must have" flat response, properly translating, studio quality, near field monitors is bibcally overblown. I'd venture a guess that 98% of the folks on this forum are never in jeopardy of being misrepresented by monitors that don't translate. It's a web forum wives tale to a Titanic degree.

I've mixed on 1031's forever. Recently I did a two week stint on M-Audio bx5a's (there is a backstory here but not terrible important in making this point). Nobody and I mean nobody down the chain of command mentioned anything about the quality of my mixes. Not a peep from a group of folk that are traditionally the most picky, eye-pecking, critical people on earth.

There's a thousand traps of poor mixing techniques and environments and performances that must be solved waaaaay before one starts chanting Adam monitors. My favorite monitors of all time were the old Radio Shack Minimus. For recording music they were just the right size and efficiency to musically inspire. I "wanted" to mix and record on those things. I wanted to be in their stereo perspective. They created a lovely little sonic landscape. They translated poorly..... or maybe just ok is a better phrase but it took a matter of minutes to realize how to compensate. They were cheap, cheap, cheap and I wish I could find another pair.

My advice to the OP is buy the cheapest thing you can find that'll do the trick. Position whatever you buy in a manner that makes you feel good about your playing. Don't worry about the dire warnings concerning the need for a flat response environment. That's non-sense. I suspect in the end you can accomplish this on the exceedingly cheap side.

From there you'll know when (and if) you need to start buying stuff. It's a frivolous endeavor however at this point to go beyond something that just works and in truth something that just works should be very inexpensive.
Excellent advice.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to all for the good advice. I am looking for as basic and as cheap a solution as I can find. Very low budget. I splurged the $99 for the Tascam. Probably won't be getting several hundreds of dollars worth of accessories any time soon. I doubt anyone will ever hear what I record besides myself and my wife. If I live long enough to get good enough to need quality equipment, no one will be more surprised than me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD