The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-10-2018, 11:52 AM

Default Any early Bose T4S/T8S adopters out there?

How's it working out for you?
Old 03-11-2018, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Over on the Bose Forum some guys have gotten the T4S and are saying favorable things about it. I think someone in the UK just got the 8 and is asking some questions to the forum about updating firmware but has really not given any details about performance.

I think once the 8 is available here in the US I'll probably buy one direct to get the 45 day trial period. It's the perfect size for what I'm after and after hearing from a few people that they hear no difference in the analog outs Versus the digital outs on the 8 I've heard enough to try one for myself.

I think they are now saying end of April for the 8's to start shipping.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 03-11-2018, 11:46 AM

Apparently, according to a Bose rep on the same Bose forum, the "powerful DSP engine" can't accommodate more than one verb for the whole unit. As in each channel can't have its own verb. We can file that under pretty disappointing for a 4-channel $600 unit in 2018.

Yeah, I know there's a school of thought which says, "wouldn't you want everything in the same acoustic space?" to which I'd reply, "sometimes but not always."

If everything has to be in the same verb space, I may opt for the TC Hall of Fame verb found in the $200 used TC Play Acoustic.

But I'd still like to hear some reaction to T4S before making any decisions, cause the fact is I'd be stuck if and when someone performs with me if I have the TC unit.

In an ideal world, having both would make sense, the T4S paired with a Bose L1C when I'm controlling the situation and the Play Acoustic when I show up where someone else is controlling the situation.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:50 AM

I've been hoping Bose would come out with a 6 channel version of the T1 for years now and when I saw the T4 and T8 at NAMM it was even better than I'd expected.

One thing that I don't care for is the fact that they no longer have the mounting bracket but giving up the bracket is a small complaint now that there is an 8 channel version available.

I looked at them for a while and talked with the rep and it looked like nothing but upgrades across the board to me and if I was still using my L1 MII I'd be buying one with no hesitation.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 03-11-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Apparently, according to a Bose rep on the same Bose forum, the "powerful DSP engine" can't accommodate more than one verb for the whole unit. As in each channel can't have its own verb. We can file that under pretty disappointing for a 4-channel $600 unit in 2018.

Yeah, I know there's a school of thought which says, "wouldn't you want everything in the same acoustic space?" to which I'd reply, "sometimes but not always."

If everything has to be in the same verb space, I may opt for the TC Hall of Fame verb found in the $200 used TC Play Acoustic.

But I'd still like to hear some reaction to T4S before making any decisions, cause the fact is I'd be stuck if and when someone performs with me if I have the TC unit.

In an ideal world, having both would make sense, the T4S paired with a Bose L1C when I'm controlling the situation and the Play Acoustic when I show up where someone else is controlling the situation.
I seem to recall there were two assignable reverbs available to configure on the auxiliary outputs - but maybe that was just on the T8S?

Either way, I think I will be upgrading my 2 x T1's to a T8S. Much more flexibility surrounding the outputs I give to the FOH sound guy. Even if I play in a duo, I can give the sound man 2 seperate guitar mixes and two seperate vocal mixes. Sounds good to me!
Old 03-11-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
I seem to recall there were two assignable reverbs available to configure on the auxiliary outputs - but maybe that was just on the T8S?

Either way, I think I will be upgrading my 2 x T1's to a T8S. Much more flexibility surrounding the outputs I give to the FOH sound guy. Even if I play in a duo, I can give the sound man 2 seperate guitar mixes and two seperate vocal mixes. Sounds good to me!
Actually that's a good point, I could certainly use the T4S or a used bargain T1 straight into a PA if I'm a "guest star." PM me if you want to sell the T1!
Old 03-11-2018, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I forget which Bose L you have, but be aware the T8S requires a separate power supply--it does not run off the Bose units that can be plugged into (which I believe is all except for the Compact).
Old 03-11-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
I forget which Bose L you have, but be aware the T8S requires a separate power supply--it does not run off the Bose units that can be plugged into (which I believe is all except for the Compact).
I'm aware of that ... and also aware Bose probably pays about $2 for a power supply they sell for $35. OK, then!
Old 03-12-2018, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

Default Any ToneMatch preset updates?

Been a long time since they Had any new ones
Old 03-12-2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneh View Post
Been a long time since they Had any new ones
Yes, but do you have one of the new T4 or T8?
Old 03-12-2018, 03:56 AM

Quote:
The T8S is supplied with a power adaptor as standard.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:17 AM

I've pulled the trigger on a T8S - will share my thoughts when I have played with it for a while....
Old 03-12-2018, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've pulled the trigger on a T8S - will share my thoughts when I have played with it for a while....
Thanks, looking forward to it!
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 03-12-2018, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The T8S is supplied with a power adaptor as standard.
No doubt. I mention it because lots of Bose fans were surprised (to put it nicely) that the most expensive Tonematch can't do what the T1 and T4 can. Big convenience factor.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
No doubt. I mention it because lots of Bose fans were surprised (to put it nicely) that the most expensive Tonematch can't do what the T1 and T4 can. Big convenience factor.
I never even thought to verify that both of the new mixers would have all of the conveniences of the original, but apparently my favored all inclusive connector and handy mounting bracket have now fallen to the wayside, especially with the new flagship T8. Bummer, but at least it's a success for those who love extra cabling to deal with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification