The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-14-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
It certainly seems an impressive piece of kit - I'm just a little nervous re: the learning curve - I'm not a pro sound engineer, I'm a singer / guitarist simply looking to dial in a nice sound. I have absolute certainty that somebody could configure the TouchMix so that it is at leat as good as the Bose products - but right now, that somebody isn't me!!
Completely understand! You can download the iPad app and actually play around with the interface without owning a Touchmix. I sat with it and played along with the brief training videos- it at least gave me a sense of how easy vs hard day to day use might be. I haven't bought one yet but probably will at the next discounted sale price opportunity.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 03-14-2018, 09:55 AM

It's brutal how much guys yak vs. demonstrate sonics on both Tonematch and Touchmix videos.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:36 AM

Anyone know if there is some ohm-age issue with using K&K passive pickups and Touchmix? As in would a DI box be required for best results?

Perhaps the Tonematch inputs would mate better with K&K passives sans direct box?
Old 03-14-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Anyone know if there is some ohm-age issue with using K&K passive pickups and Touchmix? As in would a DI box be required for best results?

Perhaps the Tonematch inputs would mate better with K&K passives sans direct box?

K&K into a Tonematch is fine.
Martin J40
Old 03-15-2018, 05:59 AM

A brief update - the T8S hasn't offered any surprises really - if you're familiar with a T1, it is extremely straightforward to transition to the T8S - and the T4S will be the same.

Apart from the extra channels, obviously there is now the ability to run in stereo if needed (mmm - maybe a second L1 Model II - that WOULD be fun...!) with the necessary pan controls added.

The new feature that I like is that there are now 3 Parametric EQ points for each channel, so there is much more flexibility to tweak the EQ than before. You can also send reverb to the Aux outputs, and on the T8S you can have a standalone (different) reverb on Aux 1.

I wish the pre-outs hadn't disappeared - on my T1 I used to send a pre-out guitar signal to my Play Acoustic and then bring it back in on a different channel, so I could combine the "clean" signal with the Body Rez signal. I can still do that, but it now means that I will have to use one of the Aux channels to send the signal to the Play Acoustic.

The attraction of the 4 Aux sends was that, when playing as a duo, my partner and I could have totally seperate feeds for two guitars and two vocals to send to the FOH engineer. If I now have to use one of those Aux outputs to feed my Play Acoustic, that elegant solution disappears. I suppose I could add an XLR splitter on one of the channels and get around things that way.....

Anyway, it's a great little mixer and the added channels are a huge benefit to me. Having said that, and as previously commented, it is expensive for what it is (well, it's from Bose isn't it?) For the same money you can get a TouchMix 8, and that will do everything the Bose will do and a whole lot more, but it's a lot more complex and the learning curve will be challenging for some. (Including me :-)) I am 99% sure I will be keeping it.
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 03-15-2018, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Thank you for your continued post to keep us up to date!
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 03-15-2018, 12:54 PM

I also appreciate the update!

Looks like QSC Touchmix and K&K passive pickups takes some accounting for cause the input on Touchmix is 1/10 of the 1 meg ohm K&K likes. While even an inexpensive device like Behringer ADI21 would probably do the trick ... as we all know, keeping things lean and mean without carrying around extra little boxes is often preferable.

Then again Bose has that $35 power supply as something extra to carry as well.

Hmm.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:35 PM

Does it have any sort of high pass EQ control? The biggest weakness of my T1 is that I can’t get rid of enough of the mud in the guitars or vocals when I use the larger B2 subwoofer. Yes I can turn the channel bass down, but that takes all the bottom out of the sound. The B2 does all sorts of amplication below 60Hz, and the T1 won’t let me cut it without also losing the lows around 100Hz which I want to keep. Can the T4s/T8s do this?
Old 03-24-2018, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Does it have any sort of high pass EQ control? The biggest weakness of my T1 is that I can’t get rid of enough of the mud in the guitars or vocals when I use the larger B2 subwoofer. Yes I can turn the channel bass down, but that takes all the bottom out of the sound. The B2 does all sorts of amplication below 60Hz, and the T1 won’t let me cut it without also losing the lows around 100Hz which I want to keep. Can the T4s/T8s do this?
The high pass filters are the same as the T1.

I assume there is a reason that you can't put the B2 into B1 mode??
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 03-24-2018, 10:01 AM

I finally got a chance to try out a T1 at a GC ... and was surprised how tiny and mushy all the controls are and how few presets come pre-loaded.

It wasn't really a fair test since needless to say the saleshuman knew nothing about it and I didn't have a manual handy. But it was a fair enough test to see that this wouldn't be the unit for an open mic cause the menu diving would be prohibitive.

For a unit that touts all its tonematches, what's on board without downloading is truly minimal.

Once again, not really a fair test, but let's just say there's not enough there to make me overcome my nausea at forking over $35 for a power supply.

Made me yearn for the Rosette I had to give up due to the bad grounding situation at my rental home.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
The high pass filters are the same as the T1.

I assume there is a reason that you can't put the B2 into B1 mode??

I still have the same issue even in B1 mode. When I look online I don’t see anyone else complaining about this. This seems strange because to me it’s a bad enough problem that I just don’t use the T1.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification