The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williejohnson View Post
I actually find a whole step down more useful because when you put a capo on the second fret to come back to standard, the fret markers are in the correct places. And, if you want to do a song only down a half step (for singing purposes) you just capo on the first fret.
Never thought of that. I"ll have to try it. Did you have to adjust your truss rodd after? I'm afraid I might start getting buzzing if I go down a whole note.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Never thought of that. I"ll have to try it. Did you have to adjust your truss rodd after? I'm afraid I might start getting buzzing if I go down a whole note.
I have done this with many guitars, for many years and have never had to adjust any of them. I think your guitar will fine in the lower tuning....give it a try.

https://soundcloud.com/willie-johnson-jr
Old 07-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williejohnson View Post
I actually find a whole step down more useful because when you put a capo on the second fret to come back to standard, the fret markers are in the correct places. And, if you want to do a song only down a half step (for singing purposes) you just capo on the first fret.
I do this on all my guitars...acoustic and electric. Some acoustics sound good a whole step down, and others sound best capo'ed on the second fret. A whole step makes transposing easier too.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:53 PM

I have been thinking about doing this lately as well.. And since everyone seems to think Mahogany and 1/2 down go hand in hand, and I am playing majority delta blues lately, I may just have to do it.
early 1930's A-Type mandolin (restored)

Sold:
'07 PRS SE Singlecut
'14 Eastman AC720

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion