The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-18-2024, 02:13 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Small condensers vs Large condensers

sE 8 small condensers set a foot back from the guitar and then two large condensers at the same distance, a WA 47 jr on the fretboard and a WA 14 on the bridge side.

I'm not hearing any difference with my headphones. Do you?

Small condensers (2 sE 8 small condensers):

Large condensers (WA 47jr and WA 14):

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-18-2024, 03:01 PM

The differences between mics - SD, LD and brands - are way overrated, in my experience.
Old 02-18-2024, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

There's a difference and I'm hearing it mostly in the low end. The most obvious place was the low note you hit at the 21 second mark. The LDC mics produced a much rounder and clearer low note.

That said, I think you're getting a good tone from both pairs in those recordings.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-18-2024, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

When making comparison clips, it doesn't help to use performances that are limited in frequency and dynamics. If you are trying to make mics sound similar (like some makers do in their A/Bs) you do it this way. If you want to hear the differences you need to get a greater frequency and dynamic range (including the transient response).
Old 02-18-2024, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Both sound good, and Id be stretching the truth to say I could tell a difference.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-19-2024, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

With my somewhat compromised hearing and DT770s, I heard what I'd characterize as a bit more mids in the SDCs' recording, but could have been (as suggested) a little more bass in the LDCs recording. (I preferred the SDCs, but I am probably biased to that sound these days.)

Can't honestly comment on HF content, but, then, guitars don't inherently contribute a lot of HF stuff, especially in relatively close mic'd, treated spaces.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McCarthy View Post
The differences between mics - SD, LD and brands - are way overrated, in my experience.
Since you're new here, can you tell us about the scope of your studio experience?

YouTube
Old 02-19-2024, 09:06 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I'm wondering if differences would be more pronounced if I used a steel string guitar. I'll try it soon.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-19-2024, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I'm wondering if differences would be more pronounced if I used a steel string guitar. I'll try it soon.
Bowie made a good point regarding dynamic range. The piece you selected for the comparison is softly played and dynamically very even with transients that have very little variation. That kind of test, one that doesn't push the mics very much, isn't very useful in determining the differences between the mics, if that's your goal.

If you play a piece that gets louder and softer, a piece where you dig into some notes by altering the attack greatly in places, you'll get a better sense of the differences between the mics.

Alternatively, if you're simply interested in what works for you, and that recorded piece is representative of the dynamic range of all the pieces you intend to record, you may not need more than that test ...but the test's usefulness to others will be limited.

YouTube
Old 02-19-2024, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

I prefer the large condensers in these recordings. They fill out the low mids in a pleasant way and minimize some of the harshness of the fingernails on the strings.

Nice recording!
Old 02-19-2024, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

I believe that steel strings produce more harmonics and probably higher frequencies as well.

Neumann previously had a webpage with excellent charts(now gone) that showed LDC Captured more low end frequencies. With rooms that are not perfectly treated, this can make a sonic difference.
Neumanns current website states this:

"To this day, the main technical advantage of large diaphragm condenser microphones is their noise performance.
However, in all other respects, the small diaphragm condenser is the superior type, technically speaking. Its main advantages are:"

"+ excellent transient response (a small diaphragm can follow the sound waves more accurately)
+ extended high frequency response (even beyond human hearing)
+ very consistent pickup pattern"

And their point about very consistent pickup pattern( off Axis) is another reason why SDC's are sometimes favored by Acoustic Guitarists. But again...it is all about personal tastes. LDC's can give you a very desirable flavor. I will be using a combination of both SDC's & LDC. But the SDC's will capture all of the main characteristics that are most important to myself.

https://www.neumann.com/en-en/homest...m-microphones/
Old 02-19-2024, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Since you're new here, can you tell us about the scope of your studio experience?
Hi Jim,

I got hacked here so temporarily opened up another account in my name: Jim McCarthy.

It's been resolved but I'm not new.

I've had a studio for about 25 years and record mostly acoustic instruments for stuff I compose: cello, ac. guitar, piano, up. bass, etc.
Old 02-19-2024, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Hi Jim,

I got hacked here so temporarily opened up another account in my name: Jim McCarthy.

It's been resolved but I'm not new.

I've had a studio for about 25 years and record mostly acoustic instruments for stuff I compose: cello, ac. guitar, piano, up. bass, etc.
Ahh... glad you got things sorted, Jim. I've had my studio for nearly as long and I hear quite a difference, but that might be because I've bought mics/preamps/comps because I wanted specific differences. Similar sounding mics certainly exist but there also exist mics that sound quite different.

YouTube
Old 02-19-2024, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Ahh... glad you got things sorted, Jim. I've had my studio for nearly as long and I hear quite a difference, but that might be because I've bought mics/preamps/comps because I wanted specific differences. Similar sounding mics certainly exist but there also exist mics that sound quite different.
Thanks for that.

I'm not saying there's not a difference between mics or that I don't hear them; it's my opinion that the differences some claim are often hyperbolic and sometimes absurdly so.

To clarify, if I were to play well recorded tracks of a good low cost but quiet and not harsh mic and a very expensive mic, one SD and the other LD, in my experience many people who do recordings won't be able to identify which is which - the SD, the LD, the low cost mic or the expensive mic, especially in a mix with other instruments .

My opinion here is born from the fact that I don't record solo acoustic guitar but rather an ensemble of instruments, EQed, reverb added and mixed.

On the other hand it's easy to tell if something has been recorded in a bad sounding room, if a guitar has old strings, if a thin or thick pick was used, or if it's a cheap and crappy instrument.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:56 PM

I hear a difference in the transient response & top end...but this is also a good test of your playback system. For those not hearing a difference, it's not because it's not there You may need to evaluate your playback system.

On a side note - one of the reason i find these types of comparisons worthless is that, unless we're all sitting together listening on the same playback system, there is no way to account for the potentially huge difference in playback system quality.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD