The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-13-2024, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Humor the newbie here on this one.

many of you have given good advice over the years and as I said in a different thread the "learning" of recording is still very new to me. So here's a question that might have a significant obvious answer amongst the group kinda like a "Ahhh...duh...of course" and if so trust me, give it to me straight you cannot offend me. I admit full on newbieville here.

I have 2 AMps stacked that I feed through a Twin City Radial splitter sending both amps equal signal etc. Simple reason of course sometimes one amp sometimes I want a flavor of the two combined. Each amp mic'd with a separate SM57 where I overall think I've got pretty good sweets spot to my liking.

I also just got 2 AKG C14's that I have on one of those dual mic horizontal little accessory bars / mic stand. I use these for mic - ing the acoustic guitars front side.

Am I using the right mic for the right application? In other words is one of them significantly sort of "common sense should know" kinda thing in this case? Is SM 57 better suited for front guitar mic and AKG C14 better suited for the amps? Opposite of what I'm doing currently?
Old 01-13-2024, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjFuzzyMcPickle View Post

... Each amp mic'd with a separate SM57 where I overall think I've got pretty good sweets spot to my liking.

I also just got 2 AKG C14's that I have on one of those dual mic horizontal little accessory bars / mic stand. I use these for mic - ing the acoustic guitars front side.

Am I using the right mic for the right application? In other words is one of them significantly sort of "common sense should know" kinda thing in this case? Is SM 57 better suited for front guitar mic and AKG C14 better suited for the amps? Opposite of what I'm doing currently?
Well, my simple answer is just try them and see what works (i.e., sounds) best.

I have a single C214 that I've used for acoustic guitar, and have used an SM57 (sold) when I was still playing and recording electric, so that's kind of a typical setup, and should work fine. Live, you might find the SM57 [on acoustic] easier to manage if that's where it would be set up. For recording in a "studio," see paragraph 1.

If you put the C214 on the amp, you might start with the PAD engaged to make sure you don't clip its output.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Or ..... you could just try a Zoom H1n.
Old 01-14-2024, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjFuzzyMcPickle View Post
many of you have given good advice over the years and as I said in a different thread the "learning" of recording is still very new to me. So here's a question that might have a significant obvious answer amongst the group kinda like a "Ahhh...duh...of course" and if so trust me, give it to me straight you cannot offend me. I admit full on newbieville here.

I have 2 AMps stacked that I feed through a Twin City Radial splitter sending both amps equal signal etc. Simple reason of course sometimes one amp sometimes I want a flavor of the two combined. Each amp mic'd with a separate SM57 where I overall think I've got pretty good sweets spot to my liking.

Quote:
Is SM 57 better suited for front guitar mic and AKG C14 better suited for the amps? Opposite of what I'm doing currently?
Better suited ? No not really. A different approach/technique ? yes, but either set of mics is equally valid for mic'ing amps depending entirely on what kind of sound you are after (which is totally subjective)

And you have to some degree answered your own question

Quote:
Each amp mic'd with a separate SM57 where I overall think I've got pretty good sweets spot to my liking.

Assuming that what you using for the amps is an electric guitar ?

So in the electric guitar world for the most part (with some variation exceptions) there are currently 4 different types of approaches in use

#1 Guitar with mono output to one mono amp . With or without a pedals for FX
#2 Guitar with dual (stereo) outputs presumably to one stereo amp or two mono amps
#3 Guitar with mono output to one or more mono input to pedals with "synthesized stereo output and 2 channels out -- to two amps for stereo effect
# 4 Guitar with mono output to pedals and a splitter- to two mono amps set up in the Dry/Wet configuration (sort of what like you are doing with two amps set differently ) AND is what I have

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-14-2024 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

This is my set up except now have taken the Supro 50 Watt combo out of the set up ( the one on the top of the Supro stack) and have substituted my new .5 watt D. Kowalski with the Supro Extension speaker/cab I 'll try to get a photo of that

And this diagram is more or less how my system is set up

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 01-19-2024, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Or ..... you could just try a Zoom H1n.
Zoom guys are like, "Hey you... come'ere and let me give you a little taste of this sweet sweet candy!"
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-19-2024, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Zoom guys are like, "Hey you... come'ere and let me give you a little taste of this sweet sweet candy!"
Yep not to mention the practical logistical issue with trying to mic two different stacked full sized combo amps (separately) using a single tight XY mic setup (however handy it might be for some other situations )

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 01-19-2024 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Actually this is for acoustic guitar setup. I also switched out the SM57s for Sennheiser E906s. Definitely like better

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD