The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-05-2024, 10:08 AM

Default New Zoom H1, H4 & H6 "essential" Series Recorders

I've been thinking about getting a portable recorder, especially after seeing the new Zoom R4 with 32-bit float recording and the "bounce track" feature.

I just noticed that Zoom has now announced the new H1essential, H4essential and H6essential series. It seems to have a number of new and/or improved features vs. the existing H1, H4 and H6 recorders besides the 32-bit vs. 24-bit recording, such as (1) a color LCD screen on the H4 and H6, (2) longer claimed battery life, (3) now supports up to 1GB SD cards, and (4) an optional Bluetooth adapter. Apparently, time coding with a video recording is possible via the Bluetooth adapter, but I have no idea how any of that works and, frankly, I'm not sure I care as I'm just interested in audio recording.

And it appears that Zoom is going all-in on the cheap looking blue plastic that first appeared on the R4 sliders and is now used on the buttons on these new recorders. I'm not sure why Zoom wants their recorders to look like they use the same plastic as a Sit 'n Spin.
Old 02-05-2024, 01:53 PM

Interesting that Zoom seems to be in the process of migrating their handy recorders to 32 bit float. I'm not a fan of the mics sticking out there in the open, but it's probably fine.
I have to say that the "H1 Essential" looks suspiciously like they have re-packaged their "M2 Mictrak" recorders, which don't appear to have been a smashing success for Zoom.

I think the 4 little blue buttons are rather sexy... I'm pretty much put off by the weird angled diamond shaped case, though.

I'm glad they didn't make the new R4 look like that. The R4 just seems like it's so much more intelligently thought out. The little details like the internal mic being at the end that someone who is "self-recording" is actually facing. It's small details like that which make you wonder "What were they thinking?" when they re-designed the H1.

All the new recorders seem to accept Terrabyte microSD cards now, so the 32 bit float file sizes shouldn't be a problem.

Zoom H1 Essential @ Sweetwater

I owned an older Zoom H1 and it felt really cheap. I sold it and got the Tascam DR-05 instead, and was really impressed by how much better it seems to be built.

Tascam has had their Portacapture X6 and X8 96khz 32 bit float recorders out for a couple of years now, so the Zoom 32 bit float recorders are certainly not innovative. I'm not sure why the technology hasn't been more widely accepted by home recordist musicians.

Last edited by Rudy4; 02-05-2024 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2024, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Hi Pappy,
Zoom is certainly moving into a new era in consumer recording with 32bit float. As a new owner of the R4, I can say that for my needs and set up, it is exactly what I need. The new H series you speak of incorporate some of the features I *thought* I'd like to see on the R4, but now not so much.

I think a big decision point is HOW you want to mix your recordings. If you use a DAW, then an H series recorder with stereo mics, but little or no MTR capability might be the better option. Of note, the R4 will also export raw files into a DAW also, it just has the one (decent) mic built in. As Rudy4 pointed out, its aimed at the operator, which makes sense. Only my Tascam DP008 also has that arrangement.

For me, who will record a drum track, then record vocal and guitar, the R4 is perfect. I have paired SDC mics, so I don't miss the built-in stereo mics that the H series all have. I also wear headphones and have a small speaker, so I don't need the built in speaker (which always sound tinny to me anyway). I can lay down a bass line if the urge hits me, easily on the R4.

Just as background, I started with a DR05 then DR40 recorders. Got a DP008 eventually, but found it not easy to use. Finally a Zoom R20, which I really like. But, since I only record two channels simultaneously, I find the R4 just as capable in my hands. (well, a vocal mic plus two SDCs require the R20). All said and done through that evolution, I find the R4 by far the easiest, most user friendly, and capable for my needs recorder.

I hear your concern about the blue sliders, but they work well, do not feel cheap, and I can live with them. We'll see how they hold up over time....
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-05-2024, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Hi Pappy,
Zoom is certainly moving into a new era in consumer recording with 32bit float. As a new owner of the R4, I can say that for my needs and set up, it is exactly what I need. The new H series you speak of incorporate some of the features I *thought* I'd like to see on the R4, but now not so much.

I think a big decision point is HOW you want to mix your recordings. If you use a DAW, then an H series recorder with stereo mics, but little or no MTR capability might be the better option. Of note, the R4 will also export raw files into a DAW also, it just has the one (decent) mic built in. As Rudy4 pointed out, its aimed at the operator, which makes sense. Only my Tascam DP008 also has that arrangement.

For me, who will record a drum track, then record vocal and guitar, the R4 is perfect. I have paired SDC mics, so I don't miss the built-in stereo mics that the H series all have. I also wear headphones and have a small speaker, so I don't need the built in speaker (which always sound tinny to me anyway). I can lay down a bass line if the urge hits me, easily on the R4.

Just as background, I started with a DR05 then DR40 recorders. Got a DP008 eventually, but found it not easy to use. Finally a Zoom R20, which I really like. But, since I only record two channels simultaneously, I find the R4 just as capable in my hands. (well, a vocal mic plus two SDCs require the R20). All said and done through that evolution, I find the R4 by far the easiest, most user friendly, and capable for my needs recorder.

I hear your concern about the blue sliders, but they work well, do not feel cheap, and I can live with them. We'll see how they hold up over time....
Hi Dave,
I'd like to hear more about those features and why you may have changed your opinion about their usefulness. Perhaps that's better addressed in your original R4 topic. (I'm looking for your first topic to be more of a definitive source of information on the R4.)
Old 02-05-2024, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Hi Dave,
I'd like to hear more about those features and why you may have changed your opinion about their usefulness. Perhaps that's better addressed in your original R4 topic. (I'm looking for your first topic to be more of a definitive source of information on the R4.)
Nothing big. I think just being used to mics and speakers, I guess it was just a first pass observation that it didn't have a speaker. For recording, I definitely prefer headphones anyway, and if I need a break from phones for listening, I have a cheap little speaker that plugs in. Even for $10 on Amazon, it still sounds much better than those nickel-sized built in speakers that many recorders have.

As for the mic issue, I use a recorder in two ways: 1) to capture ideas as they quickly pop into and out of my head. For that purpose, the single built-in on the R4 is perfectly fine. (Rudy4 posted a really nice recording done entirely with the on-board mic, that shows its clearly adequate for its purpose). Then 2) to record guitar and vocals to either mix quickly on the R4, or import into GB or Reaper. In that case, I'm plugging in my sEs or WA84s, so the mic issue becomes moot.

I suspect Zoom and Tascam and a few others are waiting to see just where the demand lies from consumers. Either more hardware on the R4 type recorders, or more functions on the H (or DR) series. My worthless prediction is that it will go the way of the cell-phone/PalmPilot merging into the smartphone, and once they sell down their existing inventory of "R" and "H" models, we'll see an all-in-one device for a price slightly less than the sum of the two.

In any case, we have some really amazing gear at affordable prices available to the home artist. I always think of Springsteen's "Nebraska", recorded on one of the first Tascam (Teac) 4-track cassette recorders. Turned in on a Memorex cassette to his label! Now it would be an attached file or SD card.

Edit: oops, I thought I was replying to Pappy, and referred to you in the third person.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-07-2024, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Interesting, I've got an older H6 I bought many years ago. I understand it correctly this new one with 32bit does not have gain on the preamps you can adjust? Due to the headroom with 32bit float you can just adjust the gain in post to whatever level you need? Seems convenient.
Old 02-07-2024, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
Interesting, I've got an older H6 I bought many years ago. I understand it correctly this new one with 32bit does not have gain on the preamps you can adjust? Due to the headroom with 32bit float you can just adjust the gain in post to whatever level you need? Seems convenient.
Hi Anton,
That's essentially it. Being able to adjust the level in post does NOT remove the need for correct mic placement, room treatment, etc.

The old saying about "Garbage in = garbage out" is just as true with 32 bit float audio. A low level signal with excessive microphone self-noise, "room sound", and/or outside noise leakage into the studio space just means you can boost those unwanted sounds up to an intolerable level.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD