The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-22-2024, 04:13 PM

Default NGD - Squier Affinity Series Telecaster Deluxe

Since going to the dark side and even crossing over to menus and phone apps, I'm pedal free. Guitar to modeler to PA. Just turn that volume control for solos and overdrive. It seemed like a Les Paul control layout would be a good option to have (neck pickup tone railed with volume pulled back, and bridge pickup volume railed with tone pulled back), but I thought I would tread gently and cheaply at first.

This mid range Squier is of shockingly good quality. Full sized (metric) pots, the same "metric" toggle switch that StewMac sells, immaculate neck pocket route, nicely finished with few things to point out, intonation/action/relief all set pretty well out of the direct from MF sealed factory box. With 15% off and some points laying about $200. The guitar has a skunk stripe and a laminated maple fingerboard. The fret job is so clean and perfect I've got to imagine the fret boards are fretted and then laminated. There must be some masterfully programmed CNC doing much of the fret work. I don't think a human can be this consistent and/or this inexpensive.

First unnecessary modification: get rid of cheesy push on Fender Amp-like knobs and add Gibson style pointers.

I play with a thumb pick alternating between flat and finger picking. The pickup covers are microphonic and I did not like listening to my thumb pick strikes. I bought some low end potted alnico 2 replacements off of eBay. I pulled (4) CTS analog taper 500K pots and a short Switchcraft toggle out of my parts bin. Before view:

Check out the neck pocket route. It does not get much cleaner than this, though generally I don't really think this matters much.

Before and after:

Interestingly enough the new pickups are a little noisier AND the noise source turns out to be my cell phone!
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 01-22-2024 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-22-2024, 05:07 PM

Nice guitar - though I like the witch hat knobs myself.

I have three Squiers. Great guitars.

Enjoy.
Old 01-23-2024, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Since going to the dark side and even crossing over to menus and phone apps, I'm pedal free. Guitar to modeler to PA. Just turn that volume control for solos and overdrive. It seemed like a Les Paul control layout would be a good option to have (neck pickup tone railed with volume pulled back, and bridge pickup volume railed with tone pulled back), but I thought I would tread gently and cheaply at first.

This mid range Squier is of shockingly good quality. Full sized (metric) pots, the same "metric" toggle switch that StewMac sells, immaculate neck pocket route, nicely finished with few things to point out, intonation/action/relief all set pretty well out of the direct from MF sealed factory box. With 15% off and some points laying about $200. The guitar has a skunk stripe and a laminated maple fingerboard. The fret job is so clean and perfect I've got to imagine the fret boards are fretted and then laminated. There must be some masterfully programmed CNC doing much of the fret work. I don't think a human can be this consistent and/or this inexpensive.

First unnecessary modification: get rid of cheesy push on Fender Amp-like knobs and add Gibson style pointers.

I play with a thumb pick alternating between flat and finger picking. The pickup covers are microphonic and I did not like listening to my thumb pick strikes. I bought some low end potted alnico 2 replacements off of eBay. I pulled (4) CTS analog taper 500K pots and a short Switchcraft toggle out of my parts bin. Before view:

Check out the neck pocket route. It does not get much cleaner than this, though generally I don't really think this matters much.

Before and after:

Interestingly enough the new pickups are a little noisier AND the noise source turns out to be my cell phone!
Enjoy it in good health. The Squiers now are a WOW league better than my first electric 17 years ago. Also, it is hard to explain but I always keep liking Telecasters.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:21 AM

One of the best lower price range guitars ever made and they last.

Question: What does "microphonic" mean. I've heard the term used in amp reviews too, but never explained.
Old 01-23-2024, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
Question: What does "microphonic" mean. I've heard the term used in amp reviews too, but never explained.
When the pickup is subject to vibrations, say when you’re standing in front of a 4x12, relative movement of the coil and magnets can cause a squeal.

Wax potting is the answer, I believe, but I don’t use high gain at all. And for clean playing, they way un potted, and hence microphonic, are better.

Spats.
Old 01-23-2024, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
One of the best lower price range guitars ever made and they last.

An electric guitar pickup is intended to only respond to the vibrating strings. To the extent that tapping the pickup or even shouting into it causes an output, it is microphone like, or microphonic.

Jon Fields
Old 01-23-2024, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new Tele!

- Glenn
Old 01-24-2024, 05:29 AM

This model was made in China. It’s possible that the Indonesian models are not the same quality and it’s hard to imagine better. The tight neck pocket and strings perfectly centered over the neck seems to be something Sweetwater’s Fenders either don’t consistently have, or Sweetwater doesn’t bother to display in their photos.

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars