The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-22-2018, 12:19 PM

Default NFL playoffs

I admit that the Pats are on a good run, however look at the Celtics. From 56-57 to 75-76, they have been more impressive than the cheaters in chief.

BahPa

2015 Taylor GS-Mini Hog
2002 Martin 000-18 Sunburst
2005 Martin 000-28
2011 Martin 0-12VS
1972 Ovation 12 string
2015 Fender P-Bass Sunburst
2008 Fender Tele Thinline
2011 Fender Tele Sunburst
1998 Washburn BT-9
Old 01-22-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Bledsoe would have never done what Brady could do... not even remotely close.

Have you listened what actual defensive coordinators and other QB's have said about him though? There are many defensive coordinators that have gone on record saying he's the smartest QB they faced and he makes some of the best throws they've seen. Just listen to Romo. He's played the position and he's amazed by his throws.
You are defending Brady when I haven't said anything bad about him, nor refuted his right to be called the GOAT....

I'm simply saying that any QB can be set up for success in Belichicks system, and that it takes both parts of the Pat's equation to have the dynasty.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808K View Post
I guess you haven’t been paying attention to the Eagles offensive line this season.

And yeah, the Vikings D, best in the league this year, really got to Foles! Oops, fake news.
Doesn't matter. Everyone said the same thing about the Falcons last year and you see how that went. The Brady/Belichick formula will win again (although I'm routing for the Eagles.)

Belichick + Brady + 2 weeks to prepare > Eagles O-Line
Old 01-22-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahPa View Post
I admit that the Pats are on a good run, however look at the Celtics. From 56-57 to 75-76, they have been more impressive than the cheaters in chief.
no way there were 9 teams in the league lol

better comparison would be the yankees from
1947-1964 stretch was very impressive. The Yankees won 15 of 18 AL pennants and 10 World Series, including five in a row.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
You are defending Brady when I haven't said anything bad about him, nor refuted his right to be called the GOAT....

I'm simply saying that any QB can be set up for success in Belichicks system, and that it takes both parts of the Pat's equation to have the dynasty.
By saying any QB can do that diminishes the skill Brady has. Everyone in football knows he's not just an average or good QB in a great system. Everyone in football knows he's a great QB in a great system. You can't just insert anyone in that system and do what Tom does.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-22-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
By saying any QB can do that diminishes the skill Brady has. Everyone in football knows he's not just an average or good QB in a great system. Everyone in football knows he's a great QB in a great system. You can't just insert anyone in that system and do what Tom does.
I'm just trying to make a point. Brady grew in that system and gained experience through Belichick. Brady is very talented, but at some point you have to attribute a lot of his success to the coach and system that nurtured him.

I didn't want to do this, but my favorite player of all time is Dan Marino. I think Marino was a better QB than Brady is from a pure skill standpoint. And yet, even though Marino had some good teams, he never won the big game.

Now let's do something fun....put Marino, Manning, Elway, Kelly, Aikman, any one you want into the #12 jersey when Bledsoe goes down....what then? Would Manning perform better than Brady over the years?

I think it's a right place, right time situation. The foot needs the shoe, and the shoe needs the foot.

Last edited by Shades of Blue; 01-22-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I'm just trying to make a point. Brady grew in that system and gained experience through Belichick. Brady is very talented, but at some point you have to attribute a lot of his success to the coach and system that nurtured him.

I didn't want to do this, but my favorite player of all time is Dan Marino. I think Marino was a better QB than Brady is from a pure skill standpoint. And yet, even though Marino had some good teams, he never won the big game.

Now let's do something fun....put Marino, Manning, Elway, Kelly, Aikman, any one you want into the #12 jersey when Bledsoe goes down....what then? Would Manning perform better than Brady over the years?

I think it's a right place, right time situation. The foot needs the shoe, and the shoe needs the foot.
Ok, that's better though. You're saying any other all time great would do as well as Brady. That's different than saying any QB can do what Brady has done.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-22-2018, 01:47 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I've been following the NFL for 50 years now. In the NFL as well as high school and college sports, if you don't respect the better teams, just "because," you diminish your favorites as well. I'm not a fan of the Patriots, but they seem to have been kicking a lot of butts over the years.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-22-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Ok, that's better though. You're saying any other all time great would do as well as Brady. That's different than saying any QB can do what Brady has done.
At the end of the day, Brady was a no name QB, the 199th pick, and the "there goes our season" guy when Bledsoe went down. At that point, Brady was the "any QB" guy.

This tells me that Belichick could "in theory" take any QB drafted 199 or less, and make them into a Brady. Now, I know that no one else is Brady, but just think about it for a second...Brady was a no name before Belichick molded him into his offense.

So in a sense, yes, I believe that in the year 2000 Belichick could have put just about any QB into that situation and they would "in theory" have been successful.

Then you can spin it this way.....what if the QB that replaced Bledsoe was another no name that had just a little more talent than Brady...would he have 7 rings by now?

At the end of the day though, these are all what ifs. Brady and Belichick will go down as the greatest tandem in NFL history and deserve every bit of the accolades that come with it.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:15 PM

Let's ask another silly question whilst I am feeling inquisitive...

What is more impressive to you:

A) Reaching the Super Bowl 4 times in a row and losing? (Buffalo Bills)

B) Winning the Super Bowl
Old 01-22-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:

There's some truth to this. Brady was lucky that Bledsoe got injured when he was. At the same time, he was ready for prime time when he got the call. He was something of a late bloomer, better than his draft rating would indicate.

I don't want to diminish the importance of the Belichick/Brady combination, They seem to be absolutely the best coach/QB team the NFL has ever seen. But, what everyone is ignoring, is that it takes a TEAM, 53 players and a dozen or more coaches to win games at the level that the Patriots are winning. Brady and Belichik are the first to say that everyone on the team contributes.

Witness Stefon Gilmore breaking up Bortles' 4th down pass. Without that play, chances are Jacksonville would be on the plane to Minneapolis. Witness Malcom Butler's game-winning interception in the Superbowl against Seattle. Witness Julian Edelman's miracle catch that started the Patriots' comeback in last year's Superbowl. As great as Brady is, he relies on everyone else to do their parts.

Belichick is the master strategist and the demanding taskmaster who brings out the best in his players. Brady is the centerpiece and the catalyst who leads the team, makes things happen and gives others the chance to do their parts.

When the Patriots win two weeks from now, the victors will be the New England Patriots, not just Brady and Belichick.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M123 View Post
There's some truth to this. Brady was lucky that Bledsoe got injured when he was. At the same time, he was ready for prime time when he got the call. He was something of a late bloomer, better than his draft rating would indicate.

I don't want to diminish the importance of the Belichick/Brady combination, They seem to be absolutely the best coach/QB team the NFL has ever seen. But, what everyone is ignoring, is that it takes a TEAM, 53 players and a dozen or more coaches to win games at the level that the Patriots are winning. Brady and Belichik are the first to say that everyone on the team contributes.

Witness Stefon Gilmore breaking up Bortles' 4th down pass. Without that play, chances are Jacksonville would be on the plane to Minneapolis. Witness Malcom Butler's game-winning interception in the Superbowl against Seattle. Witness Julian Edelman's miracle catch that started the Patriots' comeback in last year's Superbowl. As great as Brady is, he relies on everyone else to do their parts.

Belichick is the master strategist and the demanding taskmaster who brings out the best in his players. Brady is the centerpiece and the catalyst who leads the team, makes things happen and gives others the chance to do their parts.

When the Patriots win two weeks from now, the victors will be the New England Patriots, not just Brady and Belichick.
Excellent, well said
Old 01-22-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:

That's true, just like with Jordan and Phil Jackson, or some of Pop's Spurs teams. Would Scottie Pippen make the 'Best 50 Players Ever' list if he'd played for the 90's Clippers or somewhere else? Doubtful. So, it is tricky to say what % is a person's real achievement and how much of that depended on coaching and systems, but in the end, results speak fairly strongly for themselves, but aren't the final word.

Last edited by D. Shelton; 01-22-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M123 View Post

That's part of why I gave in yesterday. They keep doing it every year with different pieces to the puzzle, and within a season, shifting pieces around until the right combo hits, and when someone gets hurt, someone else steps up. Such great preparation, adjusting and execution .
Old 01-22-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I've been following the NFL for 50 years now. In the NFL as well as high school and college sports, if you don't respect the better teams, just "because," you diminish your favorites as well. I'm not a fan of the Patriots, but they seem to have been kicking a lot of butts over the years.
Great point of view, Barry. There are teams I flat out dislike in sports but when it's well run and the team executes I am impressed.

Quote:
Let's ask another silly question whilst I am feeling inquisitive...

What is more impressive to you:

A) Reaching the Super Bowl 4 times in a row and losing? (Buffalo Bills)

B) Winning the Super Bowl
You know what, that Bills team was outstanding. I'm not a Bills fan but I feel for their fans and "wide right".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic