The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2016, 08:10 PM

Default Eastman.. I can't quit you.

Neck and shoulder problems keep me from playing my wonderful Eastman E10 OM. I keep thinking I should sell it and use the money to buy something smaller. I have a CA Cargo and a Martin 0 15 (That's at the Martin factory getting a new neck) So, I don't need another small guitar, but I'm just not playing the eastman because of my neck problems.
The other thing is I don't think I can get a small guitar that's as nice as this Eastman for what it would sell for. So far the closest I've come to what I would be happy with as a replacement is either a Martin 00 18V or a CEO 7, but even if I buy used I'd have to come up with at least another grand.
Maybe I'll just hold out until Eastman comes out with a 14 fret to the neck 0 size guitar. ( If I ever get a chance to try their 00 maybe that would work )
Old 04-18-2016, 08:29 PM

Try working with playing position, if you haven't already. Don't give up on the Eastman OM until you make sure you are in the correct playing position for you.

This is a good piece of advice from Ken Bonfield:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5d2UJRjF_A
Old 04-18-2016, 09:22 PM

Are you leaning over while playing? Is it posture, or shoulder issues?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2016, 10:46 PM

i'm over 50 now, and that size guitar (the eastman om's are actually 000s, but that's just a scale length discrepancy), are perfect for me, if i really want to take it easy on the shoulders, etc.

have you tried any 000 12 fret styles? they are even more comfy than the om style. there are models that won't break the bank, too. plus, they have a deeper body (and slot heads, too!), and are long scale, so they get a good amount of oompf in the lower registers.

i bought a recording king (relabeled by a local store) like model a few years ago, and it has a great sound. it has laminate b&s, and a solid sitka top (yeah, some runout, but hey, it only cost $180.00 at the time). it's one of my go-to acoustics for recording, and sounds fantastic.

Last edited by dmoss74; 04-19-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:53 PM

Check out the Recording King Schoenberg designed guitars. The RP1-16-C is stunningly good. They are long scale, 12 frets to the body for that wonderful bridge in the wide sweet spot, and have a cut away. The 00 with the long scale puts out room filling sound and remarkably deep bass. They are balanced and eminently enjoyable to play.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8tstartr View Post
Neck and shoulder problems keep me from playing my wonderful Eastman E10 OM. I keep thinking I should sell it and use the money to buy something smaller. I have a CA Cargo and a Martin 0 15 (That's at the Martin factory getting a new neck) So, I don't need another small guitar, but I'm just not playing the eastman because of my neck problems.
The other thing is I don't think I can get a small guitar that's as nice as this Eastman for what it would sell for. So far the closest I've come to what I would be happy with as a replacement is either a Martin 00 18V or a CEO 7, but even if I buy used I'd have to come up with at least another grand.
Maybe I'll just hold out until Eastman comes out with a 14 fret to the neck 0 size guitar. ( If I ever get a chance to try their 00 maybe that would work )
I had a similar experience with my Eastman OM - in fact, I'm not sure that they're not a little larger than standard OM size; anyway, I sold mine & bought an Eastman E20-OO ss, the 14-fret LOO size one, & it works fine with my shoulder/arm issues - the difference in size makes it really comfortable, & it has a very lively, punchy sound, with more bass than my 1933 L1 - definitely worth considering..
Old 04-19-2016, 08:38 PM

Thanks everyone for all the tips. I'll try to work on my posture. see if that helps. I pinched the nerves in my neck running down both shoulders and both arms it was really bad for about a year. couldn't play at all for the 1st 6 months. Physical thereapy for 6 months. Chiropractor now for about 10 months.
it's getting better but VERY slowly.
I would love to check out a 00 12 fretter with a cutaway but haven't been able to find one. Also would love to try out that Eastman 14 fret 00. Can't seem to find that either.
I it wasn't for the fact that this E10 OM just sounds so good, I'd have an easier time giving it up. Well, it might just be the guitar I play for 15 minutes of joy than put away for a couple of days.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:58 PM

I have neck issues too and my dreadnought can be painful at times, but I play bluegrass and it is the only guitar that gives me that tone, plus I can't afford another guitar, I'm on disability. One guitar I do like is the Alvarez AF30, but I would have to sell my dread first.

Snark Tuner
Old 04-20-2016, 01:18 AM

If you can accept a 12-fretter, the eastman parlors are excellent, I highly recommend them for anyone who likes the eastman sound.

FWIW I got shoulder issues too and traded away my Lowden O23 for a Martin 0-28VS, that's about as far a leap as one can make guitarwise. It has turned out really well, the small body obviously does things differently. But it has triggered excitement over different kinds of music, I'm having great fun.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion