The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2018, 06:52 AM

Default Sigma USA

Are Sigma guitars being distributed in the US again? Iam on the hunt for an inexpensive OM type guitar. So far my choices are a Martin 000RS1, the Eastman AC OM or the new E1OM, or the Elderly Farida OT 22 or 23. I just came across a Sigma guitar site that implied they are back on the US market. They show three different OM types, spruce/mahogany, spruce/rosewood, and an all mahogany sunburst. Can’t find an actual source for purchasing these Sigma models yet though. My Sister bought a used Sigma/Martin dreadnaught back in the late eighties that was surprisingly nice. I am on the fence between a spruce top or an all mahogany model.... leaning toward the spruce and Sigma is showing a spruce/rosewood model.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

If you lean towards an all mahogany model, IMO you cannot go wrong with an Ibanez Artwood AC240. It is simply an amazing guitar and incredibly cheap.

My main guitar is a Taylor GC and I've had several Martin 000/OM's so I know the feel of that size/shape very well.

The AC240 feels comfortable and perfectly familiar. I noticed last night the neck is a teeny-tiny bit chunkier than my Taylor, even though they have the same nut width.

For every person looking for an entry level "real" guitar, I will always recommend this one. It is, again, the best cheap guitar there is IMO.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-24-2018, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

There are two Sigma Guitar companies. One is under the umbrella of St. Louis Music, and is distributed in the US. The other is the Sigma Guitars associated with AMI out of Germany. These are the very highly regarded Sigmas and are not distributed in the US (as far as I know). I recently bought an AMI Sigma 000m-15+, and it is a glorious guitar. I purchased it off Reverb from a Canadian dealer. I really have no experience with the Sigma guitars available in the US, but I do know that all the glowing Sigma reviews (and there are many of them) are of the Sigma's coming out of Germany. The main way you can tell the difference (visually) is that the AMI Sigma's use the two Sigma logos that Martin used to use for the Sigma brand when they owned it. Here's the website: www.sigma-guitars.com. I can't say enough good things about the Sigma I just purchased. It's truly an awesome guitar, and buying from a Canadian dealer will keep shipping to the US at a reasonable rate.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:28 AM

After a bit more looking, I am not sure the Sigma USA models are a candidate. I will have a look at the Canadian based Sigma dealers. Thank you Fazool for reminding me about Ibanez. I had one of the tiny parlor models and aside from the very narrow nut width it was great. Sounded so much nicer than it’s size would imply and the top wood was spectacular for a sub 400 dollar guitar. I played an Ibanez AV4??OM at my local GC a few weeks ago that was strung with D’Addario nickel bronze strings and sounded as good as the Martin RS1. It was marked down 100 off the new price.... should have walked out with that one. I don’t think they are making that model any more unfortunately. I Have not played the mahogany AC240 model. A lot of folks don’t give much love to Ibanez for their acoustic guitars but I have found them to be impressive and sound better than thanmost of their direct competition. The entry level Eastman AC OM sounds great too. Thanks guys!
Old 02-24-2018, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

As an FYI, the German Sigmas are branded as Kindred here in the US, over an issue with the US trademark of the name "Sigma".

I had tried one of the St. Louis Music Sigmas locally, and truthfully, liked it. It was an SF18 and I could have kicked myself for not getting it back then. Lesson learned from it is go with your instinct, not the name on the headstock.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion