The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2015, 06:40 PM
Eric Skye

My current list of tune for solo concerts has twenty four tittles on it. There are other tunes that have been fazed out that I will dust off every few years, and new things loom up as well. A typical solo concert for me is about sixteen tunes. Usually I make a set of eight for before intermission, and then a set of seven more for after, and have one tune for encore.

I have a two solo concerts coming up this week, though one is more of a short concert followed by a discussion. The other is more typical. So two weeks out (while knee deep in duo concert stuff from a whole other list of tunes ) I picked the sixteen or so tunes, and maybe tinkered with the ones with the most dust, or are fairly new, or otherwise challenging. At one week out though I’m more serious. I play everything once, always with the metronome on the 2 and 4, and often recording it on my phone to listen back and make notes. As the week goes on I start leaning heavier on the harder things. Day of the show I only practice things that have nothing to do with the show. Assuming most gigs are solo jazz/blues fingerstyle, show day I might be in my hotel room flatpicking old-time fiddle tunes or woking on classical pieces.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:51 PM

That's a lot of songs nice. I need to get to work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2015, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
My current list of tune for solo concerts has twenty four tittles on it. There are other tunes that have been fazed out that I will dust off every few years, and new things loom up as well. A typical solo concert for me is about sixteen tunes. Usually I make a set of eight for before intermission, and then a set of seven more for after, and have one tune for encore.

I have a two solo concerts coming up this week, though one is more of a short concert followed by a discussion. The other is more typical. So two weeks out (while knee deep in duo concert stuff from a whole other list of tunes ) I picked the sixteen or so tunes, and maybe tinkered with the ones with the most dust, or are fairly new, or otherwise challenging. At one week out though I’m more serious. I play everything once, always with the metronome on the 2 and 4, and often recording it on my phone to listen back and make notes. As the week goes on I start leaning heavier on the harder things. Day of the show I only practice things that have nothing to do with the show. Assuming most gigs are solo jazz/blues fingerstyle, show day I might be in my hotel room flatpicking old-time fiddle tunes or woking on classical pieces.
Eric, thanks for sharing your routine. That is helpful. I was interested to hear what you do the day of your show. I try to not play. I'm not sure at this point if that is good or bad. I have had mixed results. Sometimes I'll do great and others I will have hesitations or lapses. I can't yet figure out what causes these but I work around them. I'm performing weekly so I have to work to keep a fresh set of pieces. I can repeat stuff about every 3 weeks and rearrange the sets so no one gets board plus there are differnet people in the audiance. Thanks for your input. I am enjoying this forum.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post

Eric, Just looked you up on youtube. Great stuff!! I'm playing mostly Nylon string I have a Takamine CD132SC Classical Electric.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fingerstyle guitar