The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticjazz View Post
Hey Long Jon! I think the Americans are missing on the humor Congrats on the new Waterloo - next time I visit London, post beer, we should give her a strum.

Hope you're doing well, enjoy the new guitar!
Hi Christopher, if it’s post the amount of beer we had last time, nobody’s touching my guitars, a year later i’ve still got a bit of a hangover !
Old 02-24-2018, 12:03 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Willie, Long Jon rarely writes anything without tongue firmly in cheek! It's a British /Scottish thing.
Oh -- that's pretty funny!

Thank you for clarifying --- around here you can never tell!
Old 02-24-2018, 12:04 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
But it’s really badly out Willie !
Ah, OK , I’m just messin’ around ,
Ah -- I'm a victim of that dry British wit!
Old 02-24-2018, 12:16 PM

Hey ! Check this out gang, I used my glo-in-the-dark Cooperstand out in the bright sunlight; this “charges” it up , by ,, witchcraft , presumably ...

Only shows up when you darken the room , lasts about 15 minutes, really great accessory if you are on a dark stage near a source of sunshine for no longer than a quarter of an hour set, eg for an open mic in a cellar bar at lunchtime it’s just the thing

Cool tho’ eh ?

Old 02-24-2018, 03:50 PM

Nice one Jon, the Waterloo looks awesome. Love the back.

HNGD!
Old 02-24-2018, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Hey LJ, that's beautiful... congrats on getting a steal! I think there may be one of these in my future. Love that back. Maple with a Walnut stain, right? I like it!

Love to hear more about the sound...
Old 02-24-2018, 04:20 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
But it’s really badly out Willie !

Ah, OK , I’m just messin’ around , of course I’ve played it , nearly ripped the postman’s arm off, played it straight away !

I like it a lot , but am still not entirely sure what all the fuss is about these.

They’ve certainly nailed the depression era mail order guitar feel, light as a feather, very little trim, sheesh ! You’d a thunk they could have just run the buffer over the sides once, very gritty feeling.

The glossy C shape neck feels great though and the top and back have a lovely sheen and silky feel, the sunburst looks even better in person.

I don’t really know how to describe the sound in any meaningful way, I’m a cowboy chorder of limited skills, I alternate between attempting to fingerpick with bare thumb and fingernails and using a pick to strum n dweedle ;

it is “nice” ! it is loud , it is “chimey” (?) ‘Jangly” (? in a good way), not at all “boxy” , lot of sustain, responsive, feels very comfortable to play, owing to light weight, smallish size and 12 fret neck.

As for the “Buying It By Accident” story , well yes, I really did !

The guitar is used but absolutely pristine, it was listed on eBay UK by forum sponsor “murrmac” (Murray MacLeod) .

Soooo.... I had it in my watch list along with other guitars and misc things I’m interested in.

Murray had fearlessly started the auction at 99 pence, no reserve,
with only a couple of minutes to go the bidding appeared to have stalled at a ridiculously low price; so ,, motivated by meddling I put a higher bid.

I won’t say I was trying to “shill” it up because that would imply complicity from the vendor, who I do not know personally; no I was simply being greedy , I couldn’t let someone else have it for next to nothing while I stood idly by !

I really thought that my bid was low enough that he would leapfrog me right at the last moment, he went up a little bit, another £20 and it would have been his, but he didn’t and it’s mine now !

—————————————————————————————————-

A word about the vendor: First off , the boy can pack guitars, nice job.
Then, I emailed Murray after receiving the guitar to ask him what size key I needed to adjust the truss rod.
He offered to pay for me to have it set up to my liking by a tech of my choosing !
I just bought a 5/32” wrench and tweaked it m’self, but what a great guy ! He didn’t need to offer that, I feel like I stole it as it is !

So it is great to get an opportunity to try a guitar like this , which I’d never have bought new price. If I don’t bond I can probably move it along without any loss, IF I can manage to keep it relatively ding free.
Congrats, but I guess it wasn't as good as you expected?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-24-2018, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ah you know me so well ,,,, I guess you posted while I was writing my opus above.

Ps. Scotland still part of Britain last time I looked Andy
Yeah I know - I was trying to be politically correct! I know you RobRoys can be critical about us Sassenachs.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:03 PM

I don't have a tube glue!
Old 02-25-2018, 10:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

I thoroughly enjoyed it this Sunday morning! Congrats on the Waterloo - I love these guitars. Nice pics, too!

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-25-2018 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Deleted reference, adjusted accordingly

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion