The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-24-2018, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Children are safer now than they have EVER been. There is more awareness. There are Amber alerts. There are video cameras. They have cell phones. They are safer than they have ever been...
Yep. My parents once gave me lawn darts for my birthday...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:41 AM

This has become a favorite topic of mine. And it’s probably because I have this discussion with my brother every few months. Perspective is so important as I am an optimist, he is a pessimist.

My brother tells me how tough life is, yet he is in moderately good health (age 70), has been married for 46 years, has a pension (as does his wife), a small cabin in New Brunswick and a respectable house in southwestern Connecticut. In short, he has nothing to complain about. His problem is that he is a media junkie and is convinced that the world is going down the tubes.

Our media is very persuasive. The phrase, “if it bleeds, it leads," was mentioned earlier. That’s very much an evolution of the old newspaper adage, “when a dog bites a man, that’s not news. If a man bites a dog, that’s news!” Our news media thrives on oddity, novelty and exceptions to the rule. Half of the verbiage being written is opinion based and not factual. Objectivity and seeing the big picture are not their strong suit.

My point here is that on an individual level, we have to filter out the noise. Everyone reading this is blessed with riches... you can afford a computer and internet access. You have the knowledge and schooling of how to use that computer. Plus, I will infer that you are wealthy enough to own at least "one" guitar.

We do live in amazing times. Our human faults (jealously, lust, envy, greed, etc.) will always be there to torment us regardless of our stature and social level.

Try to keep on the sunny side!

Rick

PS - Pinker’s “The Better Angels Of Our Nature” says much the same (regarding violence in the world) and is chock full of citations. It’s a bit of a slog, but an objectively written tome.

Last edited by srick; 02-24-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post

Maybe I'm wired or trained an optimist but I have seen a lot of the good stats the author quotes. Maybe it's being involved with kids. The world always has lots of serious problems but in a lot of ways I think we're richer than we're lead to believe, that we are tackling or capable solving problems, and on the whole alright in ways people forget to look at.
I come from a similar platform. Kids give me strength and young adults give me hope. I have worked with very diverse clientele over a period of about forty years. I realize that I have been blessed with riches that can't be counted (and some that can).

best,

Rick
Old 02-24-2018, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

I'm sorry but I can't feel too "happy" with things like what is happening in the Eastern Ghouta area of Syria.

Lots of other aspects of world news concern me, but, you all know the issues, (or should) so I'll leave it there.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:48 AM

Optimism is fine, you just have to be careful to differentiate it from sticking your head in the sand.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I'm sorry but I can't feel too "happy" with things like what is happening in the Eastern Ghouta area of Syria.

Lots of other aspects of world news concern me, but, you all know the issues, (or should) so I'll leave it there.
No one is happy about such horrors.

I think the accurate point of this thread is the relativity: on the macro level those horrors are fewer and farther between and, so, relatively speaking "better" overall than before.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-24-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
Optimism is fine, you just have to be careful to differentiate it from sticking your head in the sand.
I see my optimism in the light of 'being nimble'. If I see trouble coming, I try to avoid it. And when trouble occurs, I do my best to deal with it, find a solution (if possible), and try to move on or adapt. No matter how lucky you are, there will be troublesome times.

I am always amazed to hear the interviews with folks who have dealt with horrific troubles and how they have coped. This quote from Rose Kennedy says it all to me:
"It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone."

Or this one (Churchill*):
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

best,

Rick

* - there is some question as to this attribution, but I like it. I also like this variation, "If you find yourself walking through hell, keep walking"

Last edited by srick; 02-24-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:00 AM

I watched "Lincoln" for the first time last night.
Now, there were some folks with some problems.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic