The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 12:56 PM

Default "I would pay the extra for the 45..."

...Indeed.

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 01-16-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
I bought a new 000-28EC a few years back. Thought it was OK, but not great. Really wasn’t enchanting me, so I returned it a week later and exchanged it for an OM-28V.

The OM-28V is a big winner! Great sound. 1 3/4” nut. 1/4” scalloped bracing. Very responsive. Big voice. Great body size. Herringbone touches. Tight grain and heavy silking on the sitka spruce top. No celebrity name attached to it.

One more vote for this one!

Check the artist Stu Larsen to get a feel how this OM sounds.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:15 PM

Cool, so in some ways the OM is the standard, in part what the EC was built from. Nice pics too and video Orfeas. So thats cocobolo (between mahogany and rosewood) back/sides Nice sound balanced. I do really like the OM but they are kinda a high price.

Wow gotta love Eric Clapton, thanks for that video Sonic. So that explains it by the man him self. Funny as theres a video with David Crosby saying to go for the 45 also. But Eric (on a first name basis, yea) said other guitar players would like that set up, he did it to totally help out, not make a name for him self, which he already has.

Sorry Methos, just cleaned out my mailbox. "Piano like low" thats a good description of the rosewood body. Ill have to check out the 00 or 000 18 also.
Something about being able to generate a lot of sound with that low rumble, rosewood. Thats what I like about my little 16 now, thats got what I need really.

I should be happy with what I have, but maybe I will look for a 00, 000,OM in future travels. If Eric Clapton delivered one of his models (I would pay him obviously) I would take it. But its chance for me and my next guitar I think, like life better that way.

Last edited by waveform; 01-16-2018 at 09:23 PM. Reason: correction tape didn't work
Old 01-17-2018, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Novice question here, so humor me...I love the low profile neck with the PA taper on my “refigured” 000-18 because my hands are smallish & fingers short. That said, I’d really like to add a rosewood guitar to my group just for the tonal difference...and I’ve been eyeing the Clapton 28 model since it’s got all that plus the 1.75” nut width (I think...) I’ve come to like. My question is...how would a guy with small hands needing a more slender neck like the “V” neck of the EC model? Is it a lot fuller than that on my 000?
Old 01-17-2018, 10:02 AM

what is standout on some 000 models is the positioning of the bracing -
here on a 000-28EC

Here's a shot of the real thing (why they’re so highly desirable1938 000-28, serial number 7046x.

which configuration would you prefer ?
Old 01-17-2018, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson4NJ View Post
The 000-28EC has been my warhammer since 1998. I'm on my second. At this point, if you took any of the elements of that guitar away - V neck. Gloss neck finish, bracing pattern, scale, bridge spacing, ebony fretboard... I'd have to have the custom shop make me one.

As for the name? There's already one guy's name on the headstock of every guitar they make - I don't mind a second one.
Mine is a 1998 as well, that I purchased used in 2000. Saw a neck re-set coming in the not-to-distant future, so I went ahead and had it done a couple years ago to get it out of the way. It's tried and true and fits me like an old pair of boots...a faithful companion like no other I've had. As for the signature...I never gave it much thought one way or the other. I love the guitar, the signature came with it, que sera sera.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 01-17-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
Novice question here, so humor me...I love the low profile neck with the PA taper on my “refigured” 000-18 because my hands are smallish & fingers short. That said, I’d really like to add a rosewood guitar to my group just for the tonal difference...and I’ve been eyeing the Clapton 28 model since it’s got all that plus the 1.75” nut width (I think...) I’ve come to like. My question is...how would a guy with small hands needing a more slender neck like the “V” neck of the EC model? Is it a lot fuller than that on my 000?
I found myself in a similar situation recently and found a mint conditioned 000-28EC alongside a standard OM-28. I also have small hands and despite wanting to choose the EC model based on its lower price, I just found the modern modified low oval with performance taper neck on the OM-28 easier to play. They both sounded wonderful, but despite the higher price, the OM-28 won out for me.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekie View Post
I found myself in a similar situation recently and found a mint conditioned 000-28EC alongside a standard OM-28. I also have small hands and despite wanting to choose the EC model based on its lower price, I just found the modern modified low oval with performance taper neck on the OM-28 easier to play. They both sounded wonderful, but despite the higher price, the OM-28 won out for me.
I too choose an OM-28 (OM-28V) model over the EC model, as I found it sounded better to me. The OM-28 is a surprisingly great and 'big' sounding guitar in the 000/OM size category. The standard scale length gives a little higher tension than short scale, which drives the top a little more powerfully.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:04 AM

Cool images of the bracing Westmen, nice EC also a member posted above. Its becoming apparent that the EC model grouped all the best features more then a thing about the man himself or anything.

So on Reverb there is an OM-21 for $1700, 000-28 for $1800, OM-28 for $2250 and a 000-28EC for $2500, all used.

Key differences being mahogany, rosewood, and scalloped bracing. So Im thinking unless I find a smoking deal the EC model might be the way to go. 1-3/4 nut is an issue, so if a 00 or 000 with 1-11/16th popped up I would have to get it.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:25 PM

Hey a 2012 Martin OMC Custom is for sale on Reverb for like 1300 bucks.
Its gotta be something fishy. That would be an option, anyone know that guitar, seem too low a price?
Old 02-14-2018, 05:59 PM

OK if you cant beet em join em, went down to Boston today to get a 1997 000-28EC for $2,000 (scratches and nicks).

Figured out I cant play a 1-3/4" like my 11/16th,
Rats. One of my fingers doesnt work with the 11/16th I can cheat with my other fingers. 70% play 1-3/4". But like everyone said the EC grouped the scolloped bracing and such together.

So Im on to a 000-28H, I think its the same thing as an HD-28.
This might be one of the best ways to not live in the shadow of the colossus.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion