The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-03-2018, 04:19 PM

Dunlop Ultex 1.14, 1.40 and 2.0 are my go to picks

1.14 is best for my 12 string and my OM with light strings.
1.40 for almost all of my other guitars.
2.0 for my Baritone and once in a while my Guild D-55 or Martin D-35.

I have a bunch of different picks and I even make picks with a pick punch but nothing comes close to the tone that Ultex gives me.

I have tried a few Blue Chip and Red Bear picks.
They are very nice but I will stay with my Dunlop Ultex for the money.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
Aren't you ready to buy me out yet moneybags???

I hope you have a very happy and prosperous New Year my friend.
I WAS moneybags before I gave my wife the checkbook for Christmas. Now I may need to hit YOU up for a loan.

sm
Old 01-03-2018, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
I WAS moneybags before I gave my wife the checkbook for Christmas. Now I may need to hit YOU up for a loan.

sm
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-03-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post

sm
lol, happened to you too? Glad I'm not the only one!
Old 01-03-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
The Clayton Acetals work very well. Same material used in Tortex, believe the trade name is textured delrin. They are easy to work with simple file and polish out to a smooth edge.

I like to give them a tri-point shape with a point, a rounded point, and a full round edge. Gives three tonal choices with a quick rotation and is handy when switching from guitar to mandolin.

Are Dunlop flex and Clayton acetal the same material? They look identical.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkeyfish View Post
lol, happened to you too? Glad I'm not the only one!
Munk, yeah, we should get together and cry in our beer -- except now I can't afford a beer!

memmer
Old 01-03-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonski View Post
Are Dunlop flex and Clayton acetal the same material? They look identical.
Not sure. The Flex is labeled as "Tortex" but appears to be blended or treated to add some of the characteristics of nylon. Dunlop can be confusing as they use multiple names for the same material.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:06 PM

I also really like the Clayton Acetals - they are my favorite as I find them easier to hold and control than regular sized picks. I use the .63 and .88 widths of the Claytons mostly.

For regular sized picks I like the Dunlop Ultex - .72 and .88 widths. I order a couple of packs of the larger size triangle version of the Ultexs to compare with the Claytons. The Ultex pick has great tone and holds up very well which is why I like it.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 01-03-2018, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

It depends on your guitar and picking style.

I am essentially a bluegrass rhythm stye (See my YouTube videos).

Once you have developed your style and found your appropriate instrument then it seems only logical to have the optimum accessories.

For my dreads, my jumbo (RS), and archtops with medium strings I use Blue Chip TAD50 (346 large triangle shape)1.25 m/m with speed bevel of course.
I also use Wegen TF140s.

For my 000 and smaller guitars (with light gauge strings) I use Blue Chip TAD40s (1 m/m) and Wegen TF120s.

Each guitar has its own picks, capo and tuner in a brass box which lives the case, along with a custom made strap.

I tried the Primetones but found them too rigid and "clacky" (too much initial attack).

I've been experimenting with beveling and polishing cheaper picks and found that Dunlop tortex 1.14m/m 346s and D'andrea Proplec 1.5 m/m 346s can be modified to make pretty good picks.

I really recommend 346 triangles over teardrops (edit)- as they have more mass and you can use about .25 to.5 m/m thinner picks compared to teardrops plus of course you have three tips all with wider (and faster) points.

I'll add pics (sic) when I'm on my other computer.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 01-04-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

Once you have developed your style and found your appropriate instrument then it seems only logical to have the optimum accessories.

For my dreads, my jumbo (RS), and archtops with medium strings I use Blue Chip TAD50 (346 large triangle shape)1.25 m/m with speed bevel of course.
I also use Wegen TF140s.

For my 000 and smaller guitars (with light gauge strings) I use Blue Chip TAD40s (1 m/m) and Wegen TF120s.

Each guitar has its own picks, capo and tuner in a brass box which lives the case, along with a custom made strap.

I tried the Primetones but found them too rigid and "clacky" (too much initial attack).

I've been experimenting with beveling and polishing cheaper picks and found that Dunlop tortex 1.14m/m 346s and D'andrea Proplec 1.5 m/m 346s can be modified to make pretty good picks.

I really recommend 346 triangles over triangles - as they have more mass and you can use about .25 to.5 m/m thinner picks compared to teardrops plus of course you have three tips all with wider (and faster) points.

I've been watching your videos for a couple weeks now. Love your stuff and love your 12 fretters!

Please tell me about these brass boxes....
Old 01-03-2018, 07:31 PM

I'm super picky about picks. I use about 5 in daily rotation (out of the literal 1000~ I own). These 5 types cover what I need on all of the instruments I play (mando/acoustic/electric), and conditions (string age, etc).

My all time favorite are Gibson Heavy 347 pics. These haven't been made in decades, though. If you have some, I'll pay $$$ for them. I have about 12 left out of 100 over the years. This is a celluloid pic about .09 thick. Great range of personalities and feel, and very quick. Sometimes this pick feels like cheating. Only issue with this shape is it tends to rotate a bit, with the tip headed towards your palm as you're flatpicking. These wear into a bevel pretty quick, and on that bevel there's this grain that gives it the great sound.

Fender makes something close, celluloid, same shape, but .088 thick. But the material is a little harder making them a good bit brighter and a little less versatile. I have a lifetime supply of these already.

What I've been using most lately is a triangle tortoise (real deal). Same shape as a CT55, but no bevel. Nothing comes close to the tone, but depending on technique can be a bit bright. It has the widest tonal range, the most harmonics, and a fantastic feel. I have 2 of these (from a salvaged tiffany lamp), but they wear and need some repointing. They aren't the fastest playing, but good enough.

The next is a blue chip CT55. This is handy when things are too bright. It feels like a dead fish next to real tortoise, though. It's got one tone, which is pretty good, and not much else.

I've got a Blue chip Jazz 60 LG and 50 LG headed my way. I borrowed the 60 from a friend for a jam, and I'm convinced this tip shape takes care of the issues I have with the CT55. It's still kind of got that BC mono flavor, though.

Last edited by jtaylor996; 01-03-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

I also use Wegen TF140s.

I really recommend 346 triangles over triangles - as they have more mass and you can use about .25 to.5 m/m thinner picks compared to teardrops plus of course you have three tips all with wider (and faster) points.

I tried the tortex 346 1.14 with a speed bevel and it still sounded dull and muted. How does the tad50 compare with the tf140?

I can't believe what I just typed! You guys are turning me into a pick junky! At least my terminal GAS is controlled by high prices. With these picks, who knows where it will end!!!
Old 01-03-2018, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

A few months ago, I went on a pick binge and I've tried quite a few: BlueChip, Charmed Life, Wegen, Dunlop Tortex, Dunlop Ultex, etc. I've settled in on two picks I like a lot. BlueChip TAD50 with speed bevels and the Wegen TF140. The BC is smoothest. The speed bevel keeps the trebles bright, but the thickness of the pick also retains the bass. Strings are clear and attack is clean and quick. The Wegen is a bit brighter (I think the material is a bit harder), but there is a slight bit of pick noise when picking individual notes. I'd say BC gives a warmer tone, but not so much that it kills brightness. For pure strumming, I like the Charmed Life 0.75 mm brown triangle or their black triangle. You lose some bass punch with a thinner pick, but when strumming, I think that's OK.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 01-03-2018, 09:25 PM

I saw Clapton in Minneapolis on 5/17/92 (thank you, Internet) and as I was exiting the arena I saw a table with a sponsor sign and maybe 100 guitar picks... lonely orphans without a guitar, so I grabbed 7 in a variety of colors.

Through the years I gave away a few to inspire newbies. It’s still my favorite pick, even after trying many others. I guess after 25 years the muscle memory rules.

A belated thank you for the free picks to JVC (no affilliationj and some lazy promotions intern who dumped the box on the table and headed home (me being a former lazy promotions intern, I fully approve and appreciate the good karma!)

Alas, my GAS still flares up regularly, reminding me of how much better a player I’d be with a fancy new pick! “No, thanks, GAS, but one does not improve upon a quarter-century free Clapton pick.”
2005 Alvarez AJ-60S/12 NAT
2005 Aria Sinsonido AS-100S
2004/5 Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Series (MIM)
1988 Fender F-210S
... and because I love all my children equally:
1974 Tiesco “Strat”
1971 Ronda made for Paul A. Schmitt Music Co.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

pbe, that is cool looking.

scott memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion