The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-03-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimiRayTrower View Post
Just because I've only been a registered member for a short while doesn't mean that I didn't lurk here for years. I'm not even sure what the point of your post was about?
I guess if you had pointed out, in your post, that you had been "lurking here for years" and had become quite familiar with the other members and their guitars and their guitar playing abilities such that you were speaking from a position of some authority, I would not have made a comment like that. Sorry.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:58 PM

no worries...all good
Old 01-04-2018, 09:58 AM

When I ordered the 00 that will be finished by the end of this year I wanted to pay the upcharge for higher quality woods (old-growth and so on).
I was kinda torn between the 28 and 42 style.
Other than the inlay and abalone the build quality and wood quality would be the same.
I think I might even prefer the 28 look a little bit better.
But I've ordered in the 42 style.
Also was considering decking it out even more with 3-on-plate tuners.
But then I started thinking about the camera and pc upgrade that I want to do this year, and realized that I would already have the money for the camera If I were to choose the less labor extensive 28 style.
But yet again...
In the end these upgrades will happen even if takes slightly longer.
Before I choose the 42 I was thinking that the 28 style would make it less prone to robbery and such, which I disconsidered after hearing several stories of 100-200 bucks guitars being robbed.
I also thought about these other things to expend on...
The balanced shifted when I started thinking that this will be my dream guitar, and would be nice if it was extra special. That the builder will be putting much more attention to detail since it's more expensive. And that if something happens and I need to sell it, unless the interested buyers are wood afictionados, they would want to pay the standard 28 style price even with the wood upgrades, and I would end up losing much more money. (Good luck convincing someone that the wood in the guitar is better and such).
Another thing to consider having a resonator back ground, is that if you play to an audience with a plainer guitar, most people will only ask about what you are playing and maybe talk about your playing. In the other hand if your guitar look unnusual and special, people will also ask a lot about the guitar. I guess people will have a placebo effect by looking at the guitar and thinking it sound much better than it actually is just because of how it looks.

Last edited by Vindellama; 01-04-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:19 PM

Wow, the 42 style inlays make it look more vintage and that's a great thing! Looks like one of those old 12fret 1900s Martins now! That's what I would do and the other stuff can go hang.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Bling has no tone .
Guess I'm a form follows function kind of guy .
So lose the name on the head stock. It has no tone, and is pure bling.
2015 Martin HD28E Retro
2015 Gretsch 6128 Power Jet
2003 Amalio Burguet F1 concert flamenco
2010 Langejans R-cb classical
2019 Gibson 1958 true historic
2012 PRS Stripped '58 with 5708 pickups
1992 PRS CE24 (all original)
Many including Gretsch, Tokai, Yamaha, and Fender.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:38 PM

I literally NEVER look at the bling when I am guitar shopping. In fact, I won't admire the bookmatch, the slotted head or whatever. I have been known to sit down, close my eyes and ask my spouse to "hand me a 00 please, under $1000" (or whichever type I am looking for).

I am a beginning guitarist who has JUST memorized her first song. But to me, it is all about how the instrument feels and sounds in my hands. I sold 2 Martins that I purchased brand new (and took a big loss) because they did not fit me. Got an Alvarez Blues 51 and the Yamaha 800 folk that I love and play daily.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:43 PM

I like them all. I appreciate my 2-17 and 0-17, but I also like some bling.

This is my latest build. I wanted to learn how to do inlay. Of the total material cost of $572, $227 was the shellfish.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimiRayTrower View Post
Just because I've only been a registered member for a short while doesn't mean that I didn't lurk here for years. I'm not even sure what the point of your post was about?
Well, it is displayed in the upper right hand corner of every post. It's not like he had to go looking for it.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-04-2018 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
I like them all. I appreciate my 2-17 and 0-17, but I also like some bling.

This is my latest build. I wanted to learn how to do inlay. Of the total material cost of $572, $227 was the shellfish.

That's gorgeous - beautiful, lovely choice of soundboard and application of inlays.

But when I'm paying for the labor that is required on a retail level, for all the additional work that adds nothing to tone, I'm inclined to put my money toward build quality over appearance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion