The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-28-2017, 04:04 AM

Default 12-string capo: eureka!

Taking advantage of my recently acquired nut files and some brain gymnastics I was able to make my own 12-string capo that truly works. One of my Shubbs formed the basis for my solution. Filed slots for the four wound strings. And boy, finally...

My lyrics and music on Youtube

Last edited by Karel; 12-28-2017 at 04:12 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:11 AM

Cool!

whm
Old 12-28-2017, 06:16 AM

Default 12 string capo

Hmmm . . . time to grab a file and attack my spare 12 string Schubb.
Great idea. And, if it doesn't work, just replace the sleeve (big advantage of the Schubb) part R2.

http://www.shubb.com/parts.html
Old 12-28-2017, 07:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Charlie,
So.....What fret did you select for your spacing?

HE
Old 12-28-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel View Post
...Filed slots for the four wound strings....
Clever! You could probably make a million with that idea! Well, OK, maybe just a few bucks since we're talking 12-strings. But I'd buy one!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 12-28-2017, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

The Paige 12 string capo accomplishes the same thing with adjustable spacing. Nice idea though.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Charlie,
So.....What fret did you select for your spacing?

HE
I selected the 3rd fret, Howard, and in my case this allows me to move the capo from the 1st up to the 5th/6th without any problem.I deliberately choose a somewhat wider file for all four wound strings to give the capo room to move. Do realize though that my solution is a custom made one. Yet, I wanted to share it with you all because it really works for me.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
The Paige 12 string capo accomplishes the same thing with adjustable spacing. Nice idea though.
I did not know the Paige capo. But I at first had exactly the same idea and glued tiny pieces of rubber on my Shubb. It worked but I found it a bit cumbersome. When I then was filing a new nut for my 12-string with different widths for the different strings it occurred to me that I could easily apply that principle (upside down) on my capo. Et voilà!

Old 12-28-2017, 10:07 AM

[QUOTE=DCCougar;5583316]Clever! You could probably make a million with that idea! Well, OK, maybe just a few bucks since we're talking 12-strings. But I'd buy one![/QUOTE

Old 12-28-2017, 11:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I selected the 3rd fret, Howard, and in my case this allows me to move the capo from the 1st up to the 5th/6th without any problem.I deliberately choose a somewhat wider file for all four wound strings to give the capo room to move. Do realize though that my solution is a custom made one. Yet, I wanted to share it with you all because it really works for me.
Karel,
Actually you mean that it gives the strings room to move into the spacing positions they naturally want to pull into, of course.

I've always placed my capo directly down the centerline of the fret wire, and make it as snug as the strings require. Very little tuning variation, if any, as the strings aren't being bent behind the fret.

This doesn't work for a lot of people due to their particular fretting technique vs the proximity of the capo.

Glad you found a work around, and with the Shubb you have no chance of no second chance:-)

Have a happier & healthier New Year!

HE
Old 12-28-2017, 03:40 PM

Glad that worked for you ...nice when you can make something that you already have in your hands work!

Sidenote: I use the G7th 12-string version of their Performance capo and it is perfect for the wide neck and octaves! My other capos need to be squished to death and still not great, but the G7th 12 string capo is right on.

Edward
Old 12-29-2017, 12:37 AM

Never change a winning team, Edward! For me it was different. I tried the (unchanged) Shubbs, the G7th and quite a few others. None of them did the job satisfactorily without being 'squished to death' and even than... Even my Thalias which work superb on my 6-strings do not correctly clamp the octave strings on my twelvers. That's what kept me brooding. And the advantage of trying it on a Shubb is what Eric pointed at: cheap replaceable sleeves.

Last edited by Karel; 12-30-2017 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Never change a winning team, Edward! For me it was different. I tried the (unchanged) Shubbs, the G7th and quite a few others. None of them did the job satisfactorily without being 'squished to death' and even than... Even my much beloved Thalias which work superb on my 6-strings do not correctly clamp the octave strings on my twelvers. That's what kept me brooding. And the advantage of trying it on a Shubb is what Eric pointed at: cheap replaceable sleeves.
The Thalia works for me on my 12-string. Are you using the extra wide pad?
Old 12-29-2017, 08:16 AM

That’s how the Paige and the G7th 12 string yoke capos work. It’s the best way to do it. However, the G7th design (saw tooth slots) is the most effective because it allows for lateral shift which happens as you move the capo up the widening neck.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Taking advantage of my recently acquired nut files and some brain gymnastics I was able to make my own 12-string capo that truly works. One of my Shubbs formed the basis for my solution. Filed slots for the four wound strings. And boy, finally...

Hi Karel (aka Charlie)

Clever idea there! As you improve it (if you do) please report back. I'm curious as to how flexible the slot can be as you move to different frets up the neck (the spacing at the 5th fret will be wider than at the 2nd fret for instance).

Is it already flexible enough to compensate for neck width?

Thanks for the pictures…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion