The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-22-2017, 04:16 AM
Charter Member

I’ve bought and sold about five times. Yikes!
Old 12-22-2017, 06:04 AM

I'd all but given up...just too darn busy with family/work....sold some great Guilds and an American tele. For awhile I just kept an amplifier but had no guitar. In an effort to stop watching or reading the news I decided to start playing again. I bought a 2012 Guild D-40, a 1974 Guild F-30NT, and a 1968 Guild M-20. Hi...my name is Kitarkus and I have a problem.

Last edited by kitarkus; 12-22-2017 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 12-22-2017, 06:14 AM

September 2016 I gave up my collection to raise cash (new furnace/water heater/car repairs)...hadn't played in decades and made a logical decision...in a fit of nostalgia retrieved my B45 (all the others sold)...made the biiiiig mistake of playing it...fire rekindled... four more guitars attained this year...still paying off the debts incurred back then, but having the most fun I've had in decades along the way...
Old 12-22-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringed_bliss View Post
I bought those same two guitars this year in the reverse order -- the 000-15sm in April and the D18 just a couple of weeks ago!
Life is good! Cheers!!
Old 12-22-2017, 07:11 AM

Well, the ACQUISITION part has been great.

Plan for the year was to simplify / consolidate / upgrade. Things haven't exactly worked out that way....

Sold none. Traded one. Donated one to local kid's music program.

Bought a D-18, a Taylor 314, a birthyear J-50, and a cheap travel guitar that lives in my cubicle at work.

End result is 5 new-to-me guitars. I did sell motorcycle parts & projects and a few firearms to finance my acquisitions. And I have one up for sale on CL local.

But I looooooove the guitars I have purchased. Life is good! Happy Holidays!
Old 12-22-2017, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

I only bought one, and that was in the first week of January 2017, so it barely qualifies. I added a SCGC OM that I like a lot. I do have another Custom on order, but since that won’t be delivered until March 2018, that will be next year’s story. Regarding my playing, I’ve had a lot of fun and a lot of time to play. I had the good fortune of hooking up with a great musician who if giving me fingerstyle instruction once a month. This has opened my eyes and refreshed my approach to playing in general. A great year!
Old 12-22-2017, 07:46 AM

I bought some bridge pins this year . . . and some picks.

I've had the same two guitars for a couple of years now. I tried to sell one of those without success at the price I was asking, so I'll keep it. After dozens of guitars, I now have two that I really enjoy and they are far from expensive ones.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:49 AM

Since at least the beginning of the year, I was GAS-ing for a J-45. I've always been a rosewood bodied guy but I've realized there's something tonally valid to my ears in mahogany bodied guitars. Sadly (relative to fighting off GAS) that purchase caused me to lust after a mahogany smaller bodied guitar and specifically, a Martin CEO-7. I really don't need one, but I want one. I think I've temporarily defeated GAS on that one, for the time being.

And then... although I have five electric guitars, I've lately been GAS-ing for a Gretsch electric guitar. I could apply a 20% off coupon to a G5420T and get a great deal. I don't play electric guitar all that much, so I'm still fighting the urge on that one. But that's still another guitar that I don't need... but want.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 12-22-2017, 07:55 AM

I'm new here, but this is a fun thread to start on.

I was very bad this year - perhaps the worst I've been since I've been playing guitar:

1997 Parker Fly Artist
2007 PRS Hollowbody II
2013 PRS CU24
2017 Eastman 08OM
Helix LT

Surprisingly, I am still married. I think.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

I had a first date with a 12 string years ago that didn't work out. Turns out that it wasn't her, it was me. Thanks to some good discussion and suggestions here I landed an F512 in January and have been having a blast learning to coax some nice sounds out of it.

Sold a McCollum koa/cedar GA that sounded similar to something else I already had to fund a quest for my next guitar.

Bought a Martin OMJM that matched the sound I was searching for better than any of the 3 dozen OM/00/000 guitars I played during a very fun shopping trip in the spring.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 12-22-2017, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

“How was your 2017, GAS-wise and playing wise, and what are you looking forward to in 2018?”

My 2017 was wonderful on both fronts....

I learned a bunch of new tunes and made the connection on interesting vehicles for harmonic movement as a result. Acoustic guitar wise, I took posession of a truly magical style 42 single 0 by CA luthier Bruce Sexauer. I also began two other custom builds in May (Buscarino Rhapsody) and October (Sexauer J-185) that I look forward to receiving early in 2018. I also look forward to learning another 10-12 songs including a few Joe Pass arrangements next year.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Fun thread, I actually had to take a min to remember all that moved through my house this year. I bought 8 and sold 10. And as a result I am very pleased with my remaining trio and have never had less GAS. So I would say not a bad year at all. Looking ahead I hope to take up lessons again. I had to take a break this year and miss them dearly.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

This past year was average for me.Just one "exchange".

I sold my 2009 custom Martin 000-28 and bought a new custom shop Martin MFG 00-28.Prefer the 00 size.

Returned after 9 years absence to Fur Peace Ranch to attend a finger style session instead a purchasing another guitar....
Old 12-22-2017, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Default off the cliff

This is the year I dove off the vintage cliff..I've spent a lot but love what I've purchased. I've sold a few and have a few more to sell. Right now I'm only looking for a great great Gibson L-00...hopefully an early 30's. I now own guitars from the 20's, 40's, and 50's...would like to get a 30's in there...and the small Gibsons are great from that time. All I think I might do next year is try to turn 4 or 5 of my guitars into something really amazing...like a prewar D-18...then I'd be DONE!!!!...
Old 12-22-2017, 08:38 AM

How did I do? I bid farewell to a 1946 Gibson LG-2, 1953 Epiphone Triumph Regent, and a 1930s Regal-made Recording King. I acquired a 1950s Gibson CF-100E and a mid-1960s Harmony-built Silvertone Sovereign with a broken neck. I then turned around and bought the Epi back.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion