The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-21-2017, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Default GAS and the Year in Review. How Did You Do?

So...after telling myself last December that I was largely done buying and selling, I ended up buying 3 guitars this year and selling 2 (trying to sell a 3rd right now in my sig to get back to even).

The favorite of the ones I acquired this year was a 2014 SCGC OM/PW in Cedar/EIR and short scale. Dark, rich, loud, and tons of sustain. Playability with the short scale is effortless, and the guitar gives back more than you put in, which is great for me as I don’t have a heavy hand. Outstanding!

Other than that, I’d classify this year as below average musically for where I had hoped to be skills-wise. Tons of family and work distractions, a new music director at the church where I play, and sporadic lessons did not help my cause. Hoping to refocus better in 2018, particularly on my improv skills, and I’m allowing for potentially *one* new purchase.

Okay, your turn. How was your 2017, GAS-wise and playing wise, and what are you looking forward to in 2018?

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 12-21-2017, 06:29 PM

I caved and bought a Taylor GS Mini 'Hog.
My hopes for 2018 are, no more guitars, I have enough!
Instead, I plan to focus on playing, learning, practicing, etc.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:45 PM

2017 is the year that I found the antidote to G.A.S. and completed the Remuda.
The purchase of the SCGC OM "The Tree" Hog from the AGF member Alan Kimura was the end of a long search.
The aquisition of the SCGC Maple/German FTC gave me a blonde that really stands out with a balanced voice.
The delivery of the American Music Furniture Habitat gives me a wonderful display piece to keep them all safe.
I play each of my guitars at least an hour or two a week.....I'm a very lucky Guy.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...

Last edited by HFox; 12-21-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:46 PM

I've failed.
1986 Squire Fat Strat (Korean)
2004 Gibson Les Paul Classic
2007 Fender Standard Stratocaster (Mexican Strat)
2010 Guild F-47rc (Purchased in 2012)
2013 Home-made Stratocasters (x2)
2017 Martin GPCRSG
Old 12-21-2017, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

I failed miserably too!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-21-2017, 07:06 PM

Worst year ever! D18 in July and a 000-15sm that I couldn't refuse a couple of weeks ago.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFox View Post
2017 is the year that I found the antidote to G.A.S...
Me, too.

Musical instruments related, anyway.

I have recently transferred my GAS to turn of the last century (TOTLC) furniture and table lamps! Three late Victorian to mid 1920s slag glass table lamps and a Gustav Stickley lamp table (see the connection, there?) and V-back arm chair (both from around 1905-1911), so far, this year (there's still time for a certain L & JG Stickley magazine stand, and a small Limbert table I have been eyeing ). How am I doing?
Old 12-21-2017, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

I'll end the year with much better guitars than I started the year. Hopefully 2018 will see them get paid off....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-21-2017, 07:46 PM

I was doing fine until I decided I needed another dread, then caved a week ago and picked up a Collings D2HA from Artisan in Franklin Tennessee.

Worse, fell hard for a couple of Huss & Dalton guitars and ended up ordering a custom cocobolo and adi DS from H & D. (But that doesn't arrive and I don't pay until next year--so maybe it doesn't count.)

Good news is my wife is on board for an American Music Furniture Habitat. HFox, I sent you a pm hoping you have some advice.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:54 PM

I don't know if I'll ever find anything I like better than my Martin HD-28V although the Classified Section here is a dangerous place to wander into.

I did pick up a wonderful 2014 Gibson Firebird V and may have another electric coming next year (assuming I avoid the Classified Section here).
A Martin D-35, D-18 or J-40 would not be a bad thing to have show up on my doorstep...
Old 12-21-2017, 08:31 PM

I got a Taylor 814ceDLX back in July. I thought I'd find a jumbo or super jumbo, and found one... but had over $11k in home improvement expenses and couldn't justify getting another guitar without selling one.

I got my eye on a nice jumbo if someone wants to make the right offer for my 614ce or 814ceDLX. Would make for an interesting end of the year.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 12-21-2017, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb715 View Post
I was doing fine until I decided I needed another dread, then caved a week ago and picked up a Collings D2HA from Artisan in Franklin Tennessee.

Worse, fell hard for a couple of Huss & Dalton guitars and ended up ordering a custom cocobolo and adi DS from H & D. (But that doesn't arrive and I don't pay until next year--so maybe it doesn't count.)

Good news is my wife is on board for an American Music Furniture Habitat. HFox, I sent you a pm hoping you have some advice.
That was the best post I’ve read on the Collings forum in 2 years. Really enjoyed that story and how you described each guitar as you wittled them down. So you ended up ordering an H&D in the same woods but didn’t buy the other dread too? Haha, excellent...!

(I’m going to Google that furniture cabinet you guys are talking about right now)

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 12-21-2017, 09:26 PM
Guest 1511

I turned over my entire guitar collection this year. Sold everything I had out of disgust and frustration and re-bought all new gear. So, a total fail. The guitar store salesmen love me though. I'd like to say it's all over but I don't know. I know that two of the guitars I have now will never be sold unless I need the money to buy food and gas, but the other three, time will tell. My progress musically has been disappointing too. I've gotten better with what I know, but have not added much of anything new. I struggle with physical issues so that doesn't help.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

I bought two guitars this year after thinking that I was done. This was particularly significant for me since I have retired. I bought a classical crossover guitar, a Certvantes Crossover 1, and I bought a used Guild F512 12-string from the AGF Classifieds, which has really been a wonderful purchase. I have used the 12-string on a ton of videos for YouTube.

- Glenn
Old 12-21-2017, 09:28 PM

I upgraded from a Taylor Big Baby to a Maury's custom Martin OM-18. Every time I open the case, it feels like Christmas!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion