The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-23-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifecrisis View Post
.....Tomorrow's destination is http://themusicemporium.com/ - check it out for fun...
Hopefully it's a fun field trip - let us know what you learn from it
Old 12-23-2017, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Nelson View Post
Great, great post Methos1979

(I was looking for the joke with the D-18, D-18 thing in my earlier post, although I have a lot of respect for them. Love a dreadnaught)

I’m pretty new to the forum, but I think it’s a fun and incredible resource. I admire the “Methos1979” method of buying and selling, maybe after I retire, but probably not. Apparently, I’m a buy and hold guy. During virtually a lifetime of playing, and 20 years in a band, and I’ve owned 3 electrics, 4 acoustics, and 4 amps. (I think I might have just lost a lot of respect from the people who love to trade.) The way my life is, I have limited time, limited income, or I don’t enjoy trading, or whatever. I think it’s very, very cool, but apparently it’s not my thing.
I actually owned a D-18 very briefly, oddly it was a guitar I got in trade for a custom boutique that I was having a hard time selling. The D-18 had equal value and I knew I could easily sell that due to that models incredible popularity. But I also knew that I would probably not like it because of the dread body size and long scale.

So there's another great thing about the 'Methos1979' method of auditioning guitars - the ability to deliberately trade for something that gets you to your end goal while having the added caveat of getting to try something you've never played before. I have done this on more than one occasion.

As expected the D-18 was too large and the scale too long for me to play comfortably. This was, however, really difficult for me because this guitar's tone blew me away! I can now see why it is SO coveted by so many. At one point I was even considering a custom D-18 with a short scale, slotted headstock, Ambertone finish and no pickguard. In that configuration I would probably be able to get past the large body. What great tone on a guitar! Also, as assumed, that guitar did sell very easily.

Rather than lose respect for you (as a formerly very active buyer/seller/trader) I envy you! While I enjoyed my six years of finding my Zen guitars, there were times of trial and trepidation when shipping would lose my guitars (rare) and when guitars seemed to take forever to sell. I learned a lot no only about what I like in guitars but about buying/selling/trading!
Old 12-27-2017, 07:25 PM

Well, after much hemming and hawing, I decided the best option was to order a D18 from one of the forum sponsors. Much thanks to all that pointed me in that direction - I had no idea that was an option, and i'm glad I took it.

Should ship mid-week next week. Be on the lookout for my next post titled "Hey, I got a guitar. Now what?"
Old 12-27-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Well, after much hemming and hawing, I decided the best option was to order a D18 from one of the forum sponsors. Much thanks to all that pointed me in that direction - I had no idea that was an option, and i'm glad I took it.

Should ship mid-week next week. Be on the lookout for my next post titled "Hey, I got a guitar. Now what?"

Can’t think of a better Christmas present so much congrats!
Old 12-27-2017, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I decided the best option was to order a D18 from one of the forum sponsors.
Great decision!
Old 12-27-2017, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Good choice, congrats.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-28-2017, 06:34 AM

Old 12-28-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:

“Now what?”

Enjoy, and play in good health.

Congrats on a new guitar and congrats on your decision to play.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

I'm a 59-year old beginner! I "started to learn" several times in my younger days, but was much too undisciplined to practice and learn. But, I'm 100% full-steam ahead now, and am having fun with it!

Congrats to the OP!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion