The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-05-2017, 04:13 AM

Default Short Scale Flatpicking

Any of the fine folk on the AGF use a short scale (24 3/4") Gibson flattop for flatpicking fiddle tunes and the like? I love the feel of a short scale Gibson but worry whether it would be suited to flatpicking. I assume that the shorter scale length may result in a loss of volume, is this the case?
Old 12-05-2017, 05:09 AM
Charter Member

I flat pick on my 00s and they are short scale. This question of loudness comes up now and again. I wounder why a person would care about that. If you are playing with other people I can see the concern. In which case a person would need to get a guitar to fit the circumstance. And if you get a dread you can still find yourself not cutting through. String band loudness wars are anti-music. But they do exist as the words cannon and how loud a guitar is comes up with pickers all the time. My experience over the years dealing with different shows I have been involved in is that a person has to acquire the right equipment for the circumstance. That is best accomplished once a person is in the circumstance. An example would be several people getting together with rosewood dreads. Somebody needs a hog to make things sound better.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 12-05-2017, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Hi, My style is nearest to flat picking than anything else (see my videos for explanation) and my "weapons of choice for performing are 12 rfet dreads with medium gauge strings (EJ17s)

I also have a 000 12 fret (standard scale) with EJ16s and a Santa Cruz deep body jumbo short scale 12 fret (RS) which wears EJ17s.

I discovered that the 000 with lights and the short scale with mediums simply didn't work for my playing style when performing with my trio because I over played therm.
Seems I need the tension of standard scale (25.5") with mediums.

However, when playing aslo the RS is fine.
I confess the 000 has spent most of its years with me in its case, but it is wonderfully resonant and I've just decided to keep it in the lounge to get acquainted again.

This is MY situation and discovery - I'm not saying this is a rule - just sharing 'cos you asked.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, My style is nearest to flat picking than anything else (see my videos for explanation) and my "weapons of choice for performing are 12 rfet dreads with medium gauge strings (EJ17s)

I also have a 000 12 fret (standard scale) with EJ16s and a Santa Cruz deep body jumbo short scale 12 fret (RS) which wears EJ17s.

I discovered that the 000 with lights and the short scale with mediums simply didn't work for my playing style when performing with my trio because I over played therm.
Seems I need the tension of standard scale (25.5") with mediums.

However, when playing aslo the RS is fine.
I confess the 000 has spent most of its years with me in its case, but it is wonderfully resonant and I've just decided to keep it in the lounge to get acquainted again.

This is MY situation and discovery - I'm not saying this is a rule - just sharing 'cos you asked.
Thanks for the input... Great playing and singing by the way. I think maybe a long scale dread is probably the way to go! You've got some very impressive guitars too!
Old 12-07-2017, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

I have no problem flat picking fiddle tunes on my J45. I use it as much as my D18ge- or AJ.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:37 AM
Eric Skye

I do all of my flatpicking on a short scale 00 https://youtu.be/c0PtakexP94 with medium strings. I even made a whole album of fiddle tunes that way. I personally think you can hit the mic much harder this way over a big boomy dread....
Old 12-07-2017, 03:25 PM

While I very much enjoy flatpicking my long scale dreadnoughts and flatpicking and fingerpicking my long-scale OMs, I don't see any reason you should 'worry' about flatpicking a guitar you love the feel of. I'm sure it's pretty well suited to whatever kind of music you want to make on it.
Or could it be that you need expert guitar acquirers to validate a new acquisition?
Old 12-15-2017, 11:13 AM

I play a j45rw for flat picking all the time. If I’m playing with 5 or 6 people that I know, they back off a little for my solos and every thing is just fine. If I’m in a jam circle with 12 players, I can’t hear a D35 right across from me and I doubt he can hear me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write