The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-04-2017, 01:04 PM

Default TC Helicon Voicelive 3 questions

Hi all- I am thinking of replacing my current acoustic solo rig (Polytune, Platinum Pro, Flashback delay, Ditto X2) with a voicelive 3 and a switch 6. From what I can see this will give me the modulation effects I need, a decent looper (if I assign the switch 6 buttons to the loop functions) and of course some nifty vocal effects in one (well two) box setup. Black Friday has made its way to this side of the pond so there may be bargains to be had- plus the used price for them over here is pretty good.

So my first question is if anyone else is doing this?

My second question is regarding electric- I don't perform with my Telecaster but I am taking my Grades so spending a lot of time practising scales and jamming with backing tracks to practice my improv etc. I need something that I can plug an aux input into and headphones out for nights when I cant turn on my PRRI due to those pesky kids. I currently have a GT100 but that is a bit overkill as I only really need a few clean and a mild drive tone- would I be able to use the voicelive for this- is anyone else doing this and does it work? Thanks

http://www.indigoacoustic.com
http://www.richardmillnsmusic.com
Old 11-05-2017, 09:25 PM

I purchased a VoiceLive 3 approx 2 years ago just as the VL3 Extreme was released. I had been looking for a preamp for Acoustic and Electric, effects and a looper the voice effects was just an add on. For me it has worked well. For my electric guitar I use three preset settings (clean, dirty and bass emulator). I also use the VL3 with my BeatBuddy and sync the looper with it. With the looper, BeatBuddy and ambient loops playing I can achieve a pretty full sound. I originally debated back and forth for several months reading and watching everything I could on the VL3 and in the aftermath I've been pleased with my decision.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:47 AM

Hi Reggie,

I've been playing with Voicelive 3 since it came out, and currently use VL3X since TC Helicon wanted to deliver me one
For your setup, I'd say it's really good. I also use a Telecaster occasionally (mostly at home), and I find the electric sounds for different cleans and overdrive are very useful. It takes some time to tweak to your liking, if you're picky, but definitely doable.

I use the looper a lot on my gigs, and have loaded some essential functions to my Switch-6. I find the looper is best operated onboard, so my Switch-6 controls Vocal hit (harmonies, doubling, delay, what ever the song calls for), Onsong page scroll (via bt midi), Metronome mute, guitar mute/tuner, looper erase and go looper layer. The guitar sounds I change via step button. This way I have all the three looper tracks and visual feedback available when looping, and get all the sound changes I need too, without exiting the looper mode.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:39 AM

Thanks, this is really useful- not having seen the visual display in person for the loops wasn't aware that would be an issue.

It looks like a voicelive 3 is going to be on its way but I may treat myself to a Boss GT001 as for the headphone practice as I have seen them used pretty cheap rather than trying a one box fix for all.

Of course there is also a temptation to wait for NAMM...

http://www.indigoacoustic.com
http://www.richardmillnsmusic.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification