The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-30-2017, 03:29 PM

Default Anyone Use Acoustic Amp At Home?

Just curious if anyone uses an acoustic amp around the house. I just picked up a Gibson J-45 (2018) and it's my only acoustic with electronics. I thought an amp might add a little something extra (reverb, chorus...).
I saw a Fishman Mini 60 watt that wouldn't break the bank. Am I wasting my money?
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt45 View Post
Just curious if anyone uses an acoustic amp around the house. I just picked up a Gibson J-45 (2018) and it's my only acoustic with electronics. I thought an amp might add a little something extra (reverb, chorus...).
I saw a Fishman Mini 60 watt that wouldn't break the bank. Am I wasting my money?
Thanks in advance.
Wasting your money?

Not at all. In my home office/studio I have my Fishman Loudbox Mini setup. I also keep my vocal mic plugged in and the whole setup is ready to go for when I want to practice.... If you're planning to perform in front of any group of people, it doesn't matter if it's a Retirement Community,Church, Open Mic or a gig at the local Pub... In all scenarios you're going to be plugged in so you should have a way to practice plugged in at home.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 10-30-2017, 03:42 PM

I'm always plugged. Mic, guitar, amp; all are at the ready. Playing strictly acoustic lost its appeal moons ago when I plugged in for the first time. I have a small Ibanez 10 watt with chorus and a Fishman SA220 with reverb.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:43 PM

Absolutely, I have a MESA Rosette that I sit or stand 6-10 feet away from while working on my playing. It sounds so good I can’t stand the sound unplugged and it isn’t easy to replicate some parts without amplification and I don’t mean effects, I rarely use anything except a touch of delay or reverb for some air around the notes
Old 10-30-2017, 03:52 PM

I have a Traynor TVM10 that I use. Those Fishman amps get good reviews so I don't know how you could go wrong.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:54 PM

Thanks for replies everyone. I should have stated that I don't play out at all so it would be just for something different to add a little spice to noodling around.
I guess I was a little concerned that it would be fun for a week or so and then it would collect dust.
Sounds like I should get one....Thanks!
Old 10-30-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks in advance.
If you just want to try it out, experience how it feels to play plugged in - why not? If you are hoping for a really nice sound... well I think your 2000 bucks guitar will sound somewhat better when played unplugged than through an 300 bucks amplifier You see what I mean, right?
My Martin 000-18 is only played unplugged, I'm not planning on installing a pickup ever.
However I used to own acoustic guitars which I played through amplifiers. If I were you, I would look out for other brands than Fishman, such as Schertler, AER and Acus. Oh and if it needs to be small and portable there is the Roland AC 33 which is even battery powered.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:55 PM

Default Amp'ed

I picked up a Fishman Loudbox Mini for a "can't pass it up" price.

To be honest I think I've used it twice. Probably should sell it.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 10-30-2017, 04:12 PM

Instead of buying an acoustic guitar amp I put that money towards my PA, a Bose L1 model 2.
It sounds really accurate, just like the guitar ... only louder.
The Bose T1 mixer has a cool notch filter that cuts out feeback.

Obviously much more expensive than an amp, but if you plan to buy a nice PA someday anyway, you might consider doing this.
Upgrading over time makes money go poof compared to buying your last gizmo (that's a keeper) first.

Sweetwater's 48-month zero interest thingie made it painless.
Next, 1 or 2 times a year Bose has a 10% off sale.

The most affordable Bose L1 is $999
10% off ... $900
48 monthly payments of only $18.75.

Last edited by Tico; 10-30-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

I also picked up a loudbox mini, used it a handful of times, and sold it. I prefer the real tone of the guitar. Of course there's no right or wrong answer, but I don't prefer the plugged in sound on an acoustic unless its a maton.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:25 PM

I bought a Fishman Mini. I liked it so much I knew I would need a backup. 6 months later I bought an AER/60 which is about the same size. I like them both. Being plugged in at home prepares one for going out in public if desired! Volume/EQing....and all that Jazz!
Old 10-30-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks in advance.
Nope
Not IMHO.
I have a mini which I gig with and use at home. It's fun and for the buck, the best little acoustic amp out there. Even on low volume it adds a lot. As far as using it for a short while and then shelving it goes, I use it at home about 30% of the time.
I respect those who don't "plug in", but it's your life and frankly who cares. The Fishman reproduces the acoustic tone quite well especially at lower volumes. It's small, light and all you gotta' do is plug in and play away.For your situation it is a toy, but a fun one. Try to find a used one in good shape and minimize your outlay. They hold their value reasonably well.
If you ever do go out with it it will handle small to medium sized rooms as long as the background noise levels are reasonable. If not use it as a personal monitor with a mixer and powered speakers.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 10-30-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:53 PM

I plug in as much as the wife lets me. Currently running into a Harbinger 2115 top sitting on an 18" sub through a mixer.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:57 PM

Yep...I also just bought a Mesa Boogie Rosette, love it...and it's got a great output for direct recording into the computer that gives you a fabulous sounding recording with NO Microphone needed. What's so good about this ?? NO ROOM NOISES ON YOUR RECORDINGS !!!!!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 10-30-2017, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

I have a Fishman LBM and use it a lot. When playing out, I run a direct line from the LBM to my Bose L1c, using it instead of a ToneMatch for EQ. I frequently practice at home plugged in.

It's a decent small amp. I originally picked one up, thinking I might use it for really small venues, but the Bose is so easy and I like the sound of the two together.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification