The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-30-2017, 05:06 AM

Default Seymour Duncan Wavelength Solo interesting story

Hi All,

For more than a year I own beautiful dread made by Polish luthier.
It came with BGM E-3 pickup (kind of K&K alternative).
After some experiments, involving DIY circuits I decided to go for dual-source with Seymour Duncan Wavelength Solo.
I soldered BGM E-3 pickup to the second source input and use it that way for several months. I must say, it sounded fine after using certain eq (deep bass cut, slight mid cut and slight hi gain).
Last week undersaddle element has been installed and story begun
First impression was, that signal from UST source is very hot - way higher level than Fishman Infinity Matrix, so preamp must be capable to handle such level.
Most importantly, it looks like in such setup, signals from both sources are out of phase.
I split signal from stereo Jack cable and run it through pa mixer (I've tested it on Yamaha MG12 and Soundcraft Gigrac 1000st).
If I try both sources independently, both sound fine, but when I start to mix them, from certain point I observe "noise cancellation" effect - some part of frequencies are dampened.
If I put additional preamp in one source signal chain and use phase switch, dampening does not occur, sound is "bigger".
Currently, I use UST signal, to see how can I tweak it.
Honestly, I was not really impressed by mixture of SBT (BGM) and UST - maybe I'll give it another try and test it with various Eq settings.

What do you think?

Regards,
Marek
Old 10-31-2017, 02:41 PM

What you are describing is not surprising. Mixing two piezo sources won't necessarily give you the kind of sounds quality you are after. Most dual source systems will utilize a piezo and second source like a mic. If you really like the Wavelength undersaddle (there is a lot to like), you might consider the Wavelength DUO dual source setup with the condenser mic. I purchased the Duo system two months back for a guitar I no longer own. PM me if you want to buy it from me at a discount. Not sure if shipping costs would negate any discount, however.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:09 AM

Hi,

I would like to use Wavelenght Duo system (I had it in one of previously owned Furch guitar and loved the sound) but unfortunatelly X-brace in my guitar is to close to the sound hole and PCB with mic and V&T controls wouldn't fit.
Mixing two piezo sources (UST&SBT) is not bad idea at all - adding SBT signal (with appropriate phase) enhances overall signal with more body/wood sound while UST gives required direct/cut-through part.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
Hi,

I would like to use Wavelenght Duo system (I had it in one of previously owned Furch guitar and loved the sound) but unfortunatelly X-brace in my guitar is to close to the sound hole and PCB with mic and V&T controls wouldn't fit.
Mixing two piezo sources (UST&SBT) is not bad idea at all - adding SBT signal (with appropriate phase) enhances overall signal with more body/wood sound while UST gives required direct/cut-through part.
I solved that problem by using the Nylon string version. It is exactly the same systems with a smaller printed circuit board. That's what I have on hand.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:27 AM

I bought the Wavelength Duo 2 months ago for my Martin HD28 and it's the best sound I've ever had, very close to the acoustic sound. I play with in-ears and my band has a good sound engineer so I can you the mic as loud as the piezzo.

I previously had Fishman piezzo, K&K Trinity, Baggs M80, but the Duo is really top notch IME.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tochiro View Post
I bought the Wavelength Duo 2 months ago for my Martin HD28 and it's the best sound I've ever had, very close to the acoustic sound. I play with in-ears and my band has a good sound engineer so I can you the mic as loud as the piezzo.

I previously had Fishman piezzo, K&K Trinity, Baggs M80, but the Duo is really top notch IME.

Tochiro,

Did you notice any change in the acoustic tone of your guitar after installing?
Old 11-05-2017, 11:35 AM

No, no difference at all. I was recently in a studio to record a song and we compared the sound I had before and after with the same Neumann mic. It's the same. I read here that the piezzo changes the acoustic sound but that's not my experience.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification