The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-10-2017, 01:04 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post

My real question is, if I borrowed the tonerite and used it on the 814 is there a possibility that it will make the sound any worse in any way?
I've read the Tonerite threads in the past and a few people have not liked the sound of their guitars after using it. Most do, others notice no difference. I refuse to use it myself, preferring to enjoy the guitar au natural. In each case I spent weeks or months picking it out for the sound so I already like the guitar and find no point in messing with how it sounds. My best advice is that if you like how the 814 sounds, don't fool with it.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:17 PM

I've never heard of it having a negative effect. People either say it improved the sound, or made no change. I have one and thought it made a very slight improvement on both my guitars, but it could just be in my head
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 09-10-2017, 05:44 PM

SLG made an important point when he wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLG View Post
If you decide to use a Tonerite on your guitar, I would recommend using it with an existing or older set of strings. Don't install a new set of strings for the Tonerite process. The vibration of the unit will deaden your string set. Plan on installing a new set of strings when your done so you can properly evaluate the results.
I agree. The one unarguable effect of ToneRites is that they will about halfway kill a set of strings. The strings don't become godawful, but they're noticeably diminished by the process, whether they're uncoated or coated. It appears to be a matter of metal fatigue, so having a coating on them doesn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLG View Post
My experience with the Tonerite has shown an improvement in volume and tone when used with new, solid top guitars. The results were less noticeable on instruments with significant playing time.
I'd also interject is that my own experiences with them have been that some brands of guitars work well with the ToneRite, such as Martins, but others like Larrivée guitars seem totally unaffected by the process.

Which was a drag for me, because one of the guitars I wanted to try opening up with the ToneRite was a Larrivée. But all it did on that guitar was kill the strings.

So the ToneRite seems to work quite well with some brands, but not at all with others.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-10-2017, 09:12 PM

Basically the replies you are going to get will be:

1. From people who have tried ToneRite - it works.

2. From people who have not tried ToneRite - "I haven't tried it, but it's [insert negative connotations here]."
Old 09-10-2017, 09:25 PM

Thanks for your replies guys.

I know this thread sounds kind of stupid, but (forgive me if I'm repeating myself) but I had a trumpet some years ago and cryogenics were the big new thing back then. It was supposed to "open up" the horn by "relaxing the molecules". I'm sure the cryogenics did something. It played easier for sure. But this trumpet had a little bit of a strident personality and the cryo treatment brought out the natural stridency in the instrument and it became a bit snarly sounding. Metaphorically, imagine a Taylor going through a process and then becoming much brighter yet. Same idea. That's my concern and the reason why I posted this thread in the first place.

After reading the reviews and replies I don't think anything so drastic will happen to my guitar. Hopefully it will help make the sound a bit more transparent because it does sound a bit "tight".

BTW... I can borrow an actual tonerite, but that aquarium water pump sounds like a great idea.... $150 for the Tonerite???? Seriously? I had not idea. I was thinking $30-40.

And Wade.... Thanks for the heads up about deadening strings. I'll make sure I don't change em up until after the process. I appreciate that.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-10-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic View Post
Basically the replies you are going to get will be:

1. From people who have tried ToneRite - it works.

2. From people who have not tried ToneRite - "I haven't tried it, but it's [insert negative connotations here]."
No, actually, if you go slogging through all the many, many ToneRite threads from this and previous years on this forum, you'll find some posts from folks who've tried it and didn't think it had any discernible effect on their guitars.

Not that I necessarily recommend subjecting yourself to sifting through all of those threads. But there have been posts along those lines.

whm
Old 09-10-2017, 09:43 PM

Remember when guys would direct a speaker playing classical music at their guitar to expose the wood to various frequencies?
Old 09-10-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutherland View Post
Remember when guys would direct a speaker playing classical music at their guitar to expose the wood to various frequencies?
If played at full blast 24 hours a day for one week, recordings of Yoko Ono's singing work well.

After she shuts up ANYTHING else sounds wonderful.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:35 AM

Mine gave no perceivable sonic results. Sold it on.

YMMV
Old 09-11-2017, 03:00 AM

Is there anything technically specific about the Tonerite which sets it apart from a cheap vibrating water pump, in order to justify the increased cost? Has anyone tried both? That would be an interesting comparison.
One thing I don't understand; Tonerite make a point of stating that it is the 'sub sonic' vibrations of the device which are responsible for speeding up the 'opening up' process (or whatever), but as a guitar never experiences these frequencies when played normally, but will open up eventually anyway, why is this relevant?
Something else which excites my scepticism about these magical products is the company's titaniumum (sic) 'end pin humidor', (only $199.99 folks reduced, mysteriously(!), from $299.99), which humidifies the guitar 'from the inside' and is thus, apparently, superior...because, as we of course know, that large hole in the top of your guitar makes it impervious to changes in humidity or the effect of a regular $10 soundhole humidifier...

Last edited by AndrewG; 09-11-2017 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:15 AM
Charter Member

PM sent to you.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:03 AM

From everything I have read on this forum over several years, I wouldn't waste my time, let alone the money. One can sense the doubt, even in the words of the most optimistic.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:34 AM

I have two Tonerites. I use them on old and new guitars. Both Tonerites are always in use.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Something else which excites my scepticism about these magical products is the company's titaniumum (sic) 'end pin humidor', (only $199.99 folks reduced, mysteriously(!), from $299.99), which humidifies the guitar 'from the inside' and is thus, apparently, superior...because, as we of course know, that large hole in the top of your guitar makes it impervious to changes in humidity or the effect of a regular $10 soundhole humidifier...
...You understand that this is an endpin for a 'cello - the extensible metal prong that supports the weight of the cello on the floor - nothing whatsoever to do with a guitar?

Back to the tonerite, I have not personally used one, though from all the evidence it seems like it does result in a noticeable improvement on some guitars from some manufacturers. The main reason I've not been enticed to use one is that, a bit like with children, I actually enjoy the 'growing up' process with my guitars and don't want them to be immediately presented to me as adults.

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram Slides View Post
...You understand that this is an endpin for a 'cello - the extensible metal prong that supports the weight of the cello on the floor - nothing whatsoever to do with a guitar?

Back to the tonerite, I have not personally used one, though from all the evidence it seems like it does result in a noticeable improvement on some guitars from some manufacturers. The main reason I've not been enticed to use one is that, a bit like with children, I actually enjoy the 'growing up' process with my guitars and don't want them to be immediately presented to me as adults.

Cheers,
David
Yes, I understand that. A 'Paganini' brand cello humidifier is less than $15 and also humidifies internally. But naturally 'titaniamum' (sic) must be vastly superior in producing water vapour in order to justify its original $300 cost...
Forgive me if I remain a sceptic and continue to be allergic to snake oil and slick advertising copy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion