The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
I hear a big difference. The old version (not only in this video but everyone I heard from 1995 on) sounded flat and muffled to me. The new one sings and has much more character. Wish they put V necks on these guitars, but it sounds nice and worthy of the price.
I think I agree with you 100%. I owned a D-28 and when compared to my father in law's 1980-something Shenandoah D-28, it sounded flat and quiet.

I've been in the market for a dread since I sold my D-28, and this seems like a good fit for me given the neck specs and the price.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:32 AM

By the way, PLEASE tell me these come with the case that comes with the new D18s and not the awful plastic molded case.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:05 AM

IMHO, they sound like two great guitars. I think the 2017 model was a bit more articulate with a tad more bass (or a warmer bass if that makes sense).
Old 07-15-2017, 10:55 AM

Hard to tell from video but both seem to have the kind of punch/dynamics that I look for in a D28, although as previously mentioned specific guitars will vary in this department.

Tone wise, the old model would probably work better in a mix whereas the new model has a little more breadth and depth that a solo performer might prefer.

I appreciate the look of the new headstock but I prefer the functionality of proper tuners over the fashionable vintage style on the new model. Perhaps the old tuners will become fashionable and "vintage" in time

Overall, I won't be rushing out to replace my '97 but could be a good time for some to buy the older model when these new ones hit the shops.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Default D28

My ear likes the new version. As others have said - a warmer tone.
In addition, I am thrilled that they changed the nut width to 1 3/4!!!!
Making a icon better - THAT'S what it is all about.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63telemaster View Post
I appreciate the look of the new headstock but I prefer the functionality of proper tuners over the fashionable vintage style on the new model. Perhaps the old tuners will become fashionable and "vintage" in time
+1

Sealed tuners never need lube and never let dust/gunk in.
Some things that get stuck in exposed oily gears can be abrasive, reducing the life of the tuner.

I see no reason for going back to open tuners besides image. Pfffft!
I'll start a new thread on this.

Last edited by Tico; 07-15-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:48 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
+1

Sealed tuners never need lube and never let dust/gunk in.
Some things that get stuck in exposed oily gears can be abrasive, reducing the life of the tuner.

I see no reason for going back to open tuners besides image. Pfffft!
In addition to aesthetic considerations, I dislike the weight of enclosed tuners.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:03 PM

they both sound good...it's a matter of personal preference.
I would gladly accept either one.

As a side note, I played two D28's at Wildwood Music at a Martin Road Show event. Both were 2016's. One definitely sounded better than the other. You know how that goes.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-15-2017, 12:08 PM

"Tone wise, the old model would probably work better in a mix whereas the new model has a little more breadth and depth that a solo performer might prefer."

That is exactly how I have always felt about the difference between the Standard D-28 and the HD-28, particularly when they have some years under the hood. I routinely am around examples of both, sometimes in the same room or on the same stage. And I like how they sound together.

I am looking forward to the day when shops will have more than one of these new D-28s to start seeing how much is the specific soundboard and how much is the bracing and overall build at work, when it comes to the difference between an individual guitar, and the what are common characteristics within a certain model.

I will say, while that is one of the best "old" D-28s I have heard in ages, when it comes to the new D-28, they always take the best-sounding prototype to the show. So I am left to review the other one.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

VERY well-done, TSP. I so wish we both had more time to hang around each other's camp at Martin on Thursday... we were both in such a rush. Your A/B video sounds great & I appreciate your insights & opinions.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 07-15-2017, 01:44 PM

I like the move to the 1.75 nut width, also.
Looking forward to playing one of these.
'17 Martin D-28
'18 Martin D-18
'21 Yamaha FS830

Last edited by Max23; 07-15-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:42 PM

The 1 3/4" nut on the 2017 model is an upgrade IMHO. I couldn't play the 2016 as well. Why? See my signature.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:47 PM

I had to listen with both my monitors and headset to make sure I was hearing what I was hearing. And in my mind it's confirmed, the new D28 has more of a Taylor vibe than a traditional Martin vibe.

One of the key changes in the sound is the "shimmer" which typically isn't there much in the previous D28's. That shimmer is the Taylor sound trademark. So in my mind it's almost split the difference between an older D28 and Taylor 914.

Why would Martin want to make such drastic changes in its mainstay guitar, one might ask? The only answer I can think of is "The Pepsi Challenge". That Pepsi challenge caused Coca Cola to (temporarily) ditch their tried and true recipe, from which the had to quickly and suddenly reverse course.

Personally, I'd rather that Martin have decorated it differently and called it something else. But there is a reason that they still want to use the D28 designation when sonically there is so much difference between these guitars bearing the same model designation that in my mind it screams out to be called something different. Don't get me wrong, it sounds like it's a great guitar... just not a D28.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-15-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I had to listen with both my monitors and headset to make sure I was hearing what I was hearing. And in my mind it's confirmed, the new D28 has more of a Taylor vibe than a traditional Martin vibe.
That's what I thought too. (I listened through my headphones). I was wondering if this was a marketing plan.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

What a great and informative comparison video! Thanks Spoon.

I agree with others, both guitars sound great. I also agree that "shimmer" is a signature characteristic of the 2017, while I'd say that "chime" is a signature character of the 2016. I actually strongly prefer the 2016 in the video comparison.

For those who have not seen it, here is Martin's new demo video for the 2017:

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d-28, guitar comparison, martin