The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-01-2017, 11:10 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Zoom H2, H4, H5 and H6

I've got my sights set on a H5, it looks to be pretty good for recording one acoustic guitar with no vocals. What do you have and can I have some of the benefit of your purchase research?

Thanks.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-01-2017, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I've got my sights set on a H5, it looks to be pretty good for recording one acoustic guitar with no vocals. What do you have and can I have some of the benefit of your purchase research?

Thanks.

I had the H4n, and used it for many of my You Tube videos (belongs to my son now). It was impressive, but a tad noisy, and the user interface was a little frustrating, and it would take forever to load or reformat a SD. Other than noise, the sound was good tho. Plenty good enough for online posting and YouTube.

Then the H6 came out, and I upgraded. Much lower noise, inputs for external 4 mics, which I find useful for some situations - miking multiple instruments, or voice, etc. And the UI is much improved, better metering, color screen, blazing fast load and format. One weird thing about the H6 is that it's set up so that if you point the built-in mics at something, the screen is angled to the other side - perfect for recording someone else - exactly wrong for "selfies". Not a problem with external mics.

That's the extent of my direct experience. Definitely recommend the H6 if you need the channels. My assumption is that the H5 has the same sound quality and low noise, with only 2 extra inputs, so that saves a few dollars, and is slightly smaller, which might be handy.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:46 PM

I have the H2n and haven't used it a lot yet but i don't have any of the issues above with the sd card in fact i don't bother with any cables ,i just take the sd card out of the bottom after recording and pop it into the slot on my laptop for sd cards and the tracks are there ready to drag and drop ...its the simplest device i have used to date for decent recordings .
Old 07-01-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:

Thanks.
Hi Barry.......I bought the H4n years ago and have stayed with it for quite some time.....and it's still my only recorder outside of a few years with the H2. As Doug mentioned, it was a bit noisy and so I opted for an acoustic pre amp (Rane DMS22) to help with the signal, and then took advantage of the outlets for external mics (Shure KSM 137's) to see if I could boost my sound with those additions. So, anything you hear now from me is with that set-up, plus sound absorb panels/traps and larger room. With the H5 having that ex mic option, you can create more with external mics in the years ahead if you wish to do that. It's a real plus.

I keep one SD card in there and use it and transfer tracks to my computer, but then delete tracks as they get stored in my computer to clear room so I use that card over and over. However, with important tracks I always keep a separate flash drive with original untreated tracks for backup.

If you get the unit, I'll be you'll have a great time with it! Let us know!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 07-01-2017, 02:02 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Now I'm not sure guys, noisey is something to avoid. I have noisey already, lol.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-01-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Now I'm not sure guys, noisey is something to avoid. I have noisey already, lol.
Noisy is something that you definitely want to avoid - unless what you want is junk masking the music.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
On the H4, the noise is minimal. It's there, but it's not a huge problem. The video below would have been recorded with the "noisy" H4n (with external mics).

The H6, and from what I hear, the H5, are pretty much dead quiet. Here's Fran using an H6 with the internal mics:

Old 07-01-2017, 02:40 PM

Yeah, Barry, go with Doug's thoughts/suggestions! Pay little attention to my comments on "noise". Back in that time, there could have been any number of variables that brought that on for me........could have, likely does have nothing to do with the H4n when compared to other recordings issues happening for me back then!
I do think you're on a great track with considering this recorder H5, for your use.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 07-01-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I've gone through Zoom-ville fairly thoroughly over the years starting with the H2. I've done shootouts at http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/ with the H2, H2n, H4n, and H6. The self-noise has gone down in that order.

If you have an interest in using the recorder as an interface, there is a question about the H5 in that use, according to some posters at the Zoom forum: http://zoomforum.us/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23977

I haven't conducted tests on the H6 but I've seen no complaints about it when used as an interface.

Not to complicate things (grin) but there are several other makers of hand held recorders and on sites like Gearslutz and Taperssection those other recorders have their fans. Sony was king of the hill for a while but they have dropped their less expensive M10 and the new PCM-D100 is pretty pricey. When i compared the H6 to the PCM-D50 I found them pretty similar and the H6 is a lot more flexible and uses standard SD media instead of Sony's ill-fated proprietary stick.

Let me add one more thing, though. You have said in another thread that your current rig might be "too much mic" or something to that effect. I have a strong feeling that you are mis-diagnosing the issue, because while these hand-held recorders are wonderfully convenient and flexible, they are still using mics into preamps into A/D converters, and if you experience a difficult recording environment now that environment will not change with a new recording system - unless you plan on using your portable recorder to move to a different location for your recordings.

I have bought a LOT of gear over the years, but I'm pretty sure that the biggest factor in making my recordings more satisfactory has been experience, which I could have gained without ever buying that second batch of stuff. Just as my guitar playing would have benefited a lot more from practice rather than shopping (grin).

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 07-01-2017, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

I have owned a few Zoom recorders. The H4N, the Q3 HD (HD Video with the same small condenser mics) and two of the H6's. (The first was stolen along with almost all my musical gear and guitars)
My experience mirrors Doug's and Fran's.
I do think the H6 is almost everything you could ask for. Color screen, very fast load times and very quiet. Still a tiny bit of self noise, but certainly hardly noticeable, unless you are listening on very good equipment, and listening specifically for it. As I said, I bought another because the first was stolen. That tells you what I think about the unit.
Unfortunately I have nothing posted publicly for you to hear. If that changes, I'll let you know. BTW-Fran (and his website) were extremely helpful to me in making my decisions over the years to buy what I thought would sound and work best for me. If you haven't, check out his site.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"

Last edited by Tele1111; 07-01-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
I've gone through Zoom-ville fairly thoroughly over the years starting with the H2. I've done shootouts at http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/ with the H2, H2n, H4n, and H6. The self-noise has gone down in that order.

If you have an interest in using the recorder as an interface, there is a question about the H5 in that use, according to some posters at the Zoom forum: http://zoomforum.us/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23977

I haven't conducted tests on the H6 but I've seen no complaints about it when used as an interface.

Not to complicate things (grin) but there are several other makers of hand held recorders and on sites like Gearslutz and Taperssection those other recorders have their fans. Sony was king of the hill for a while but they have dropped their less expensive M10 and the new PCM-D100 is pretty pricey. When i compared the H6 to the PCM-D50 I found them pretty similar and the H6 is a lot more flexible and uses standard SD media instead of Sony's ill-fated proprietary stick.

Let me add one more thing, though. You have said in another thread that your current rig might be "too much mic" or something to that effect. I have a strong feeling that you are mis-diagnosing the issue, because while these hand-held recorders are wonderfully convenient and flexible, they are still using mics into preamps into A/D converters, and if you experience a difficult recording environment now that environment will not change with a new recording system - unless you plan on using your portable recorder to move to a different location for your recordings.

I have bought a LOT of gear over the years, but I'm pretty sure that the biggest factor in making my recordings more satisfactory has been experience, which I could have gained without ever buying that second batch of stuff. Just as my guitar playing would have benefited a lot more from practice rather than shopping (grin).

Fran

Some excellent advice so far. I concur with Fran.

One thing I would add. Is really think about what you need. Technology is always advancing but often we tend to go for cutting edge when that's not what we actually need.

I personally have the H2n that I only just recently purchased. I went with the H2n because of its versatility. I have also heard fantastic recordings from the H2n. So I believe it's fantastic as a tool when that's the sort of tool I want to use.

If I want to make the very best recordings I can then I would opt for good quality external mikes and a dedicated quality interface. Budget permitting a dedicated preamp.

But as Fran mentioned. One of the best ways to improve your recordings is experience. Learning how to maximize results within your gear and environmental limitations.

FWIW I really like the H2n so far. I have not played with it a lot but every time I use it I get recordings that are a little better.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:29 PM

Had an H4N for awhile and it was a good competent recorder. With it you can overdub. Not sure you can do that with the 5 and 6. I like recording my guitar and maybe vocal, then recording a mandolin and bass, or something else.

They are pretty decent and will give you an amazing sound, much better than cassette tapes that were all that was available several decades ago. The effects on the H4N were usable, as well.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:03 PM

I've got the Zoom H5, and with a cheap tripod this seems to me to be just about the perfect portable solution for solo guitar.

Very low self-noise and simple to use.

I've got a permanent 'proper' setup with more expensive mics, dedicated computer and DAW etc if , so I've only used the XY mic module that came with the unit (when away from the recording room). Works well, and allows you to try different spaces, even around your own house.

I was surprised how much difference there is in different rooms.

Kym
Old 07-01-2017, 07:37 PM

Unless you have a need for the extra tracks and inputs the H5 is every bit as good as the H6. Overdubbing is easy.
Impro duet on H5.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:54 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
On the H4, the noise is minimal. It's there, but it's not a huge problem. The video below would have been recorded with the "noisy" H4n (with external mics).

The H6, and from what I hear, the H5, are pretty much dead quiet. Here's Fran using an H6 with the internal mics:

Ok thanks Doug. You and Fred's noisey threshold is lower than mine, I don't hear any noise. Nice recordings !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Yeah, Barry, go with Doug's thoughts/suggestions! Pay little attention to my comments on "noise". Back in that time, there could have been any number of variables that brought that on for me........could have, likely does have nothing to do with the H4n when compared to other recordings issues happening for me back then!
I do think you're on a great track with considering this recorder H5, for your use.
Ok Fred thanks.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD