The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-02-2010, 12:16 AM
happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
I'm enjoying this thread, Fliss. I'm tempted to try something like this myself.

Did you cut all the way to the pencil mark? I believe the mark is for the bottom of the nut slots, and you need to cut the nut about 1/16" above the line.
Thanks, glad you're enjoying it

My intention was to cut at the top of the pencil mark, but I'm not sure how accurate I managed to be!

Fliss
Old 05-04-2010, 09:02 AM

I've just read through all the pages, and have to say I take my hat off to you Fliss, well done!
I've wondered about doing this myself, but was deterred by my schoolboy level woodworking skills. However, maybe I'll give it a try.
I look forward to further developments.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:39 AM
happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananafist View Post
I've just read through all the pages, and have to say I take my hat off to you Fliss, well done!
I've wondered about doing this myself, but was deterred by my schoolboy level woodworking skills. However, maybe I'll give it a try.
I look forward to further developments.
Thanks very much! If you have "schoolboy level woodworking skills" you are definitely ahead of me, so why not give it a go?

Fliss
Old 05-17-2010, 11:48 AM
happiness

I picked up my guitar yesterday from Matthew. He has put in the last few frets and levelled them for me:

So I got to work levelling the other frets:

Here it is showing a full set of frets:

I've still got a little more tidying up to do on the fret ends, and they still need crowning - Matthew said I could do that at his workshop, so I've got to ring him later this week to arrange when I can do that - and even after that I've got to do the set up and the French polishing - but I couldn't resist putting the nut, tuners etc in place to give me an idea of what it's going to look like - it's starting to become a guitar :

Fliss
Old 05-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Lookin' good!
Old 05-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Great thread! Kudos to you for giving this a go. It looks like you're doing a nice job and I'm impressed that you didn't let that peghead break discourage you.

I may trade my G.A.S. for guitar restoration syndrome. G.R.S.?
Old 05-19-2010, 08:47 PM

Sorry Fliss, I may have asked this before, but was is the lowerbout size on this parlor?

Oh, and btw... my parlor project is coming along nicely.. I'll post pics in the weeks to come.. Thanks for the tuners!! Our parlors are blood relatives now...

Regards,

LMD
Old 05-19-2010, 11:32 PM
happiness

Thanks guys! Chuck, I can empathise, I find myself scanning e-bay for a follow-on project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
Sorry Fliss, I may have asked this before, but was is the lowerbout size on this parlor?
It's just under 13 inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
Oh, and btw... my parlor project is coming along nicely.. I'll post pics in the weeks to come.. Thanks for the tuners!! Our parlors are blood relatives now... ...
Great news, I meant to ask if they'd arrived safely and how it was going! I look forward to seeing your pics

Fliss
Old 05-20-2010, 03:22 PM
happiness

It will either be Tuesday next week, or some time in the week after before I get to see Matthew and crown the frets, and once that's done I've still got the French polishing to do, but in the meantime I'm making a start on the set up. I fixed the tuners and tailpiece in place and attached a couple of strings. I bought a really cheap set of nylon strings to play around with, but wasn't sure how to attach them to the tailpiece I've got - I tried tying a not in the end and it seems to work but I'm a little apprehensive as to how secure this will be under tension. The strings I intend to use will be ball end - does anyone have an opinion on how well this will work with this tailpiece?

At the nut end, it's starting to look okay. I haven't cut the nut slots properly yet, just made a little groove, but I think the height will be okay:

I ran out of time tonight but will put the other strings on tomorrow and see how it works out! The good news is that for the strings I've put on, so far, there's no buzzing at any fret.

Fliss
Old 05-21-2010, 12:57 PM
happiness

Strung:

(Sorry I don't know why the picture came out this way round!)

Fliss
Old 05-22-2010, 05:30 PM

There ya go:

Nice work too. I must get around to posting an update of my new build for you.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:21 AM
happiness

Thanks CZ - how did you do that?

Since posting that pic, I've now changed the bridge and that has lowered the action without causing any buzzing, so I think that may be the one to go with, but I'll take all four bridges when I go and visit Matthew, and see what he says! I do like the brighter tone of the brass saddle.

At the moment, my plan with this is to crown the frets and finish the set up, then string it with the John Pearse folk strings and use it for a couple of weeks while it's settling in, as my beater for taking to a couple of festivals. Then I'll take the hardware off and spend a few weeks doing the French polishing, before putting it all back together again and considering it finished

Yes please to the update on your build, I hope it's going well?

Fliss
Old 05-23-2010, 09:52 AM

No problem Fliss. If you open a photo before uploading it to Photobucket or any other website on Microsoft (the normal program when you double click on a photo) you have the option to rotate the picture. if you do that it saves automatically and then you can upload it. Photobucket has a handy tool where you can rotate pictures after uploading.

I am just uploading pictures at the moment. I have decided to give hide glue a go so after a bit of advice on other forums I have placed an order for all that is required (I will post all that i my thread).

One last hing, where did you get your binding materials from? I just placed an order with a supplier and it has already left them. I can't find anyone who supplies ebony binding. I was going to use maple but this guitar has taken a black & red theme and ebony would look much better. If you know anyone who may know where to go please spill!
Old 05-23-2010, 10:54 AM
happiness

The funny thing is with the photo, I rotated it to get the "portrait" orientation before I uploaded it to ImageShack! It usually works! Ah well.

The binding materials for my project were kindly donated by forum member Martin Edwards - perhaps if you ask him he'll let you know his suppliers.

Fliss
Old 05-26-2010, 01:38 PM

Does the neck need to be reset at all?

Adjusting the bridge will likely do it...but,

Whats the angle like on the neck?

MM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair