The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal_S View Post
Martin: Pretty-much invented the Dreadnaught.

Taylor: Didn't.
Martin: pretty-much invented the Orchestra Model also

Taylor: Didn't

but.......

Taylor: pretty-much invented the finger joint and the NT neck

Martin: Didn't
Old 10-03-2007, 08:31 AM

Hey guys, research isn't just done from books, after all. Pete is just asking people for their opinions. If you ask me (and I know nobody did ), this and the UMGF would be the perfect places to ask this question

There are some useful comments here that he can legitimately put into his paper, and getting them here seems to me little different from getting them from Christian M IV or Robert T, though probably not as accurate!

Martin, as a company, has a personality expressed by its buildings, its history, its four C.F. Martins -- its whole story. Taylor is new, glitzy, high-tech, with only 30-something years of history and only about 15 when it has been a real contender. It's come a long way, mainly due to BT's innovative approach to guitar building and his fearless adoption of high-tech methods. He puts a lot into R&D; Martin relies on a popular, proven formula.

I'd sure like to hear CFM and RT talking over a beer sometime.

My 2 ¢, maybe less.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:39 AM

taylors are favored by folks who don't care for martins...martins are the choice of the rest....
Old 10-03-2007, 09:17 AM

For me, it has nothing to do with the quality in a Martin and Taylor. I lean heavily toward the Martin sound. Plus, Martins typically have tons of "mojo" about them. Most come with it. Martin has been there and done that. If it happened, there was likely a Martin (or a Gibson) guitar somewhere nearby. Taylors are beautiful guitars. Very high quality, etc. However, for me, they are pristine. I don't want pristine. I want the "been there done that" guitar.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:51 AM

Honestly its not a Taylor vs Martin thing - any decent player will tell you you its 20 percent the guitar and 80 percent the player ( or something like that ) Im not a big Taylor fan but i do like the Doyle Dykes model as well as some of their customs and the 914 model - ( i do own a Martin OM28v - and it is what they say it is ! )

- It doesnt matter what kind of a guitar you own if you cant play the thing well !
Old 10-03-2007, 10:34 AM

So, my D-35 came this morning!!! (Thanks Tony, if you're reading, this thing is a gem)

This isn't a case where you're comparing something like a Ford and a Chevy where both will pull your boat and give you a place to tailgate. This is a Taylor where in most cases is a more delicate sound, but technically great playing guitar. Martin's are the punchy, in your face, bass cannons that can take everything you can throw at them and more. It's a case of personal preference, but also a mood you may have at the time too. That's why I now have one of each of the "Big Three" because sometimes I'm pretty sure I exhibit classic qualities of a multiple personaility disorder. Anyhow, I guess to make a short answer REALLY long my reply would be, "It depends".
'01 Fender American Standard Strat
Alvarez Plywood Trooper
Campfire Guitar
'08 Fishman Soloamp (GET ONE!!!)

www.troyganson.com/Music.html
Old 10-03-2007, 12:05 PM

Sounds like you have a great start to a paper; however, I believe that you could write a pretty thick book or two (three? four?) on comparing and contrasting Martin and Taylor guitars. Each has their own unique history, offer wide variety of guitar, have a fan base, etc.

You probably need to be a little more specific when it comes to your research. By having such a broad topic, it would be really easy to get bogged down in information. Maybe you could compare and contrast the drednoughts, or even the bracing in the dreds. You might compare/contrast two specific models that look like a lot of like and share the same features and are comprable in price. For example, you could possibly compare and contrast these:

Taylor 410CE

and the Martin DC-16GTE

I know that there are going to be some folks in this forum that may say something like "These guitars look nothing alike," or "These are two totally different animals," but your teacher/instructor probably won't know a lot of the differences, and it's your teacher that's grading your paper, not us.

For the sake of your paper, it may be good to set some parameters. I hope that this helps. Good luck with it!
Old 10-03-2007, 01:40 PM

Another motor vehicle analogy could be; a Harley and a Suzuki will get you down the same road, but do you really want anybody who knows anything about motorcyles to see you on the Suzuki?
Old 10-03-2007, 01:46 PM

I don't think these are all great examples. Is the Martin the "Suzuki" or the Taylor?

It seems like this thread has shifted a little bit into which guitar is "better" rather than a simple compare/contrast paper. I am actually a big fan of both Martins and Taylors. Ultimately, my money has gone to Taylor but I certainly wouldn't mind picking out a couple of Martins (specifically, a D-18ge).
Old 10-03-2007, 04:26 PM

I'd add that Martin is a company based on tradition and does not deviate from it unless it will improve the instrument. A lengthy history of proven designs.

Taylor seems to be a company bent on innovation, some with great success (NT neck) and some not so great (ES).

Both fine guitar companies which are not so different in the end. They want to provide us as players the best possible instrument they can. Their methods to achieve that end can be quite different.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:15 PM

Martin=Coca Cola; Taylor=Pepsi
Martin=worn Levis, boots and flannel shirts; Taylor=Dockers, loafers and golf knits
Martin=sliding down a snowy mountain on two skinny sticks; Taylor=same thing, but on one wider stick
Martin=Beethoven; Taylor=Bernstein
Martin=Barbeque; Taylor=pineapple pizza
Martin=Gone with the Wind; Taylor=Harry Potter
Martin=Steinway; Taylor=Kawai
Martin=Ginger; Taylor=Mary Ann
Martin=BMW; Taylor=Infinity
Martin=Andy, Barney & Aunt Bea; Taylor=24
Martin=Encyclopedia Britanica multi-volume set; Taylor=Wikipedia
Martin=The Wall Street Journal; Taylor=Google
Martin=beginning a research paper by going to a library; Taylor=beginning a research paper by asking your AGF buds

cotten
Old 10-04-2007, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
Martin=beginning a research paper by going to a library; Taylor=beginning a research paper by asking your AGF buds

cotten
Heh, I was a TA for a class and it is amazing the work people will avoid when doing research. I can't say I'm too much different, but it can get frustrating.

Nice comparisons by the way.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal_S View Post
Martin: Pretty-much invented the Dreadnaught.

Taylor: Didn't.

Thats because Taylor did not exist at the time that Martin
invented the Dreadnought.............
And there was no NAAM back then.

Rick
Old 10-04-2007, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

I have similar models in similar materials of each brand. My preference to play one over the other at any given time is based on how I feel or a need for one tone over the other if the song suggests it.

Martin = a more bass oriented tone and looks that maintain a pretty standard recognizable style that says, "I'm a Martin."

Taylor = more balanced or treble oriented tone, (though that changed with the GS series somewhat), and materials or looks that go farther into customization and special orders.

Plus all Cotten said...

Old 10-04-2007, 06:28 AM

Yeah, so I finished the paper. Thanks for the great starting points. I understand where ya'll are coming from on me doing my own research, I guess I just wanted some basics. Thanks.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion