The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-28-2017, 09:37 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theleman View Post
Does Yamaha C40 have truss rod?
I don't think so, I just got a cs40 and that doesn't. Wasn't on my list of priorities.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosland View Post
I don't think so, I just got a cs40 and that doesn't. Wasn't on my list of priorities.
Strange some guitar necks bend in 20 years, but some other more vintage guitars from 1950s and 1960s had straight good necks.

Most of them don't have truss rod.

Is truss rod in classical guitar new trend?
Old 11-29-2017, 06:40 AM

Yamaha C40.

hunter
Old 11-29-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theleman View Post
Strange some guitar necks bend in 20 years, but some other more vintage guitars from 1950s and 1960s had straight good necks.

Most of them don't have truss rod.

Is truss rod in classical guitar new trend?
I believe the main problem is right there in the dates. Finding straight, stable wood was easier in the past. So many amazing, straight grained pieces from MASSIVE trees were used for bridges and other infrastructure projects. Now that those old projects are being replaced with modern materials and many luthiers are reclaiming those woods.

As far as truss rods; ideas appeared as early as 1908, but a Gibson employee named Thaddeus McHugh filed the first patent in 1921 (1). I don't know when they first started appearing on classical guitars though. Given the lengthily history of classical guitars, I would consider that more modern.

I have still had a steel string guitar WITH a truss rod develop a twisted neck. Just bad wood. A truss rod will not guarantee no twisting, it will allow adjustments through the years though. Many steel string guitars still need neck resets as there is not enough saddle left to adjust. So a truss rod does not solve certain neck problems. My 6 string bass has 2 truss rods and a 3 piece neck. So twists are very adjustable there.

Truss rods may have a negative impact on tone since I doubt the metal helps much. This may be why ebony reinforcement is still so common. Also, standard nylon string exhibit less than half the tension of standard steel strings.

At least... that's what I think.

(1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truss_rod
Old 11-29-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
I believe the main problem is right there in the dates. Finding straight, stable wood was easier in the past. So many amazing, straight grained pieces from MASSIVE trees were used for bridges and other infrastructure projects. Now that those old projects are being replaced with modern materials and many luthiers are reclaiming those woods.

As far as truss rods; ideas appeared as early as 1908, but a Gibson employee named Thaddeus McHugh filed the first patent in 1921 (1). I don't know when they first started appearing on classical guitars though. Given the lengthily history of classical guitars, I would consider that more modern.

I have still had a steel string guitar WITH a truss rod develop a twisted neck. Just bad wood. A truss rod will not guarantee no twisting, it will allow adjustments through the years though. Many steel string guitars still need neck resets as there is not enough saddle left to adjust. So a truss rod does not solve certain neck problems. My 6 string bass has 2 truss rods and a 3 piece neck. So twists are very adjustable there.

Truss rods may have a negative impact on tone since I doubt the metal helps much. This may be why ebony reinforcement is still so common. Also, standard nylon string exhibit less than half the tension of standard steel strings.

At least... that's what I think.

(1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truss_rod
Great info. Thanks.

Yup I also saw steel string guitars with bent neck and broken neck with truss rod. So truss rod may not be 100% guarantee for the protection.

If truss rod affects guitar tone or not, I am not sure. But it might be investigated if it does?
Old 12-03-2017, 09:39 AM

Maybe I can get some suggestions too by jumping into this thread. I have been playing guitar for more than 50 years and have been playing serious fingerstyle acoustic steel string guitar for 5 years now and believe it or not...never learned standard notation after all these years. I am learning now and want to play some classical pieces and was thinking of getting a classical guitar in addition to my steel string Larrivee. Any further suggestions for a good choice of guitars for me would be appreciated.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W View Post
Maybe I can get some suggestions too by jumping into this thread. I have been playing guitar for more than 50 years and have been playing serious fingerstyle acoustic steel string guitar for 5 years now and believe it or not...never learned standard notation after all these years. I am learning now and want to play some classical pieces and was thinking of getting a classical guitar in addition to my steel string Larrivee. Any further suggestions for a good choice of guitars for me would be appreciated.
Check out a Cordoba C5ce...My first and only Classical.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpon View Post
Pro Arte a great workhorse string, but their EXP coated strings really do seem to last longer, and maybe worth the extra cost, if you don't want to change strings as much or maybe just the trebles as you have done with the titanium.

I'm just experimenting a little with rectified nylon and some nylgut, and all complicated by my playing a lot on Cordoba 3/4 and 7/8 size guitars,

yet essentially, I don't like to change strings too often- more a chore as one gets older.
You might want to try Martin Magnifico high tension Polygut strings (they are made by Aquila) for your 3/4 Cadete. I pit those on my wife’s 3/4 Yamaha, and they are a really great sounding string. Her guitar has had various brands of strings (all high tension, to feel like normal tension on a full size guitar), but the new Martin strings just make it sound like a better, more expensive guitar than it actually is. The trebles are very elegant, and vibrato easily.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical