The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-28-2017, 01:24 PM

Default new original fingerstyle

Hello all,
I have recorded a new song -- John 2: Just The Right Time. This is a single take, raw data in MP3.

I would love to hear any feed back regarding the recording and what I can do to make it better.

All input is appreciated. I would like to get a 'baseline' recording to set a 'standard' to judge and compare other recordings (my recordings only). I have been living on a boat for many years and now live on land...time to get a little more serious and dedicated.

Input regarding composition, style, playing, etc. is also appreciated.

Thanks, good day.
D
Old 08-28-2017, 03:55 PM

Thumbs up Nice Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rock View Post
Hello all,
I have recorded a new song -- John 2: Just The Right Time. This is a single take, raw data in MP3.

I would love to hear any feed back regarding the recording and what I can do to make it better.

All input is appreciated. I would like to get a 'baseline' recording to set a 'standard' to judge and compare other recordings (my recordings only). I have been living on a boat for many years and now live on land...time to get a little more serious and dedicated.

Input regarding composition, style, playing, etc. is also appreciated.

Thanks, good day.
D
Very clean & clear recording , what you do this with ?

Sure do a following backing track with a bass & melody like and see where that takes it .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 08-28-2017, 04:58 PM

Default thanks HR

This may seem a little unsophisticated, but I like simple and have had some success in life at that -- It's all good. Here's the chain...

Taylor NS72ce into a Olypus LS10 digital recorder...Uh, I wish there was more to talk about...

The guitar has the Fishman barn door at about 90% mic/10% pick up with 'fingerstyle' setting. The gain is at 25%?? (low). The strings are Dadarrio carbon high tension, basses are Dadarrio Dynacore, high tension...normally I use composite basses in very high tension which are not quite as crisp...

I have tried [good or better] mics but always fought ambient noise so I digressed to on board electronics.

After listening to it a couple of times I am not sure what to add (treble, maybe a little???) or reduce (bass a little???).

Thanks for listening, I hope to have more feed back...
Old 08-28-2017, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

I like mikes but for onboard electronics it's ok, perhaps better in a mix than solo. Get rid of the buzz on the open A string.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-29-2017, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I like mikes but for onboard electronics it's ok, perhaps better in a mix than solo. Get rid of the buzz on the open A string.
Is that what string is buzzing ? I knew it was one of the low ones

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-29-2017, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the input all...

Yes, mics are better at almost everything recording wise.

I hear a buzz...my ear is not as trained as I wish it could be...still working on that. From what I hear of a buzz, it is my poor technique. Maybe it is the open A???, but I' m not sure I hear that. I am not sure I am hearing the same issue as Derek and Rickslo.

But what I think I hear is poor hammer on technique in the first section and then in some other places I simply don't fret properly. Maybe it is possible a mic would not show that so obviously. I am going to work on that AND change my strings to what I usually use. Then try again.

Thanks for some direction on this. Also, this song is new under my fingers...only time can solve that one.

Still trying to get a baseline sound to make (minor) adjustments to.

Thanks
David
Old 08-29-2017, 07:03 PM

Default An ah ha moment every now and then

I hope this take is a much better starting point...

I have had this digital recorder for years, even recorded the stuff for my CD (which was mastered and turned out good to my ear)...

I engaged the Mic Sensitivity to 'low' and the Bass Cut to 'on' . I thought these two positions were only for the on board mics...not for 'input'. I was wrong again.

That allowed me to increase the gain on the Fishman system but not overrun the input level. I think this is much closer to 'desired'. In fact, after listening critically to the first recording...I think this take sucks a lot less than the first.

This is still raw -- there is nothing added. If this is a good start, what would I add for a solo recording?

Thanks for your patience and input...
David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD