The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-27-2010, 07:22 PM

Default Yamaha VS Takamine classical

What is your preference between these two companies when it comes to classical guitars?
Old 03-27-2010, 08:18 PM

Yamahas are nice but I prefer Taks . . . One of my guitars is a TC135SC Takamine . . .the other's a steel string Tak

Last edited by Hack Amatuer; 03-27-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:25 PM

I had a Yamaha from the 70's that I wish I still had. I played a Takamine EG124C and thought it had a good sound.

I think either could be a very nice guitar.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 03-27-2010, 08:28 PM

I have a Takamine...simply because it had the features that I want in an classical/electric guitar. And because I got tired of waiting for Taylor to come out with their "NS" series...back in 1998.

Nothing against Yamaha at all...the stores where I lived didn't sell Yamaha classicals at the time....
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 03-27-2010, 09:32 PM

Both Yamaha and Takamine classical are good but, in my opinion, in the same price range the best are Cordoba guitars. They make both traditional classical and crossover guitars.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:29 PM

Red face

I have a Takamine and am very pleased with it. I tried a Yamaha CG201S in a local store but it did not quite sound as good as the Tak. It could have been the strings though and it certainly looked very nice.
The only thing was when I bought my Takamine I thought it was made in Japan, but when I got it home I found a made in Korea sticker on the back.

Rosco
Martin GPCPA2
Old 03-27-2010, 10:45 PM

Are you talking plugged in or acoustic sound ?

Newer electric Tak's have the "Cool Tube" pre-amp which sounds excellent and Yamaha is just rolling out a new line with there own "ART" sensors. With their plugged in sound the Tak's have been hard to beat but it could be interesting when Yamaha is in full swing with their newest additions.

Unplugged is a whole different league that I don't know much about.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:41 AM

Red face

This was unplugged. I find that with Saverez strings on my Tak the sustain and sharpness is great.

Rosco
Martin GPCPA2
Old 03-28-2010, 03:15 PM

Last year I went on a search for a classical acoustic/electric primarily for playing gigs. I played a number of various brands/models and ended up with a Takamine TH5C, which is a solid wood (cedar/rosewood) cutaway with the Cool Tube electronics. Of course this is complete blasphemy in the classical world...

The guitar has been a joy to play in live settings and sounds very good "unplugged" as well. It also has the standard classical nut width which I prefer to the narrower 1-7/8" on many crossovers.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

I used to own two Takamines but sold both. I liked the sound and playability of the Takamines. But the preamp I had at the time on the EC-132SC was one of the new (at that time) digital preamps with built in reverb. That thing ate 9V batteries like crazy! Plus it got super hot too, that is warm to the touch.

While the sound was decent plugged in (and also unplugged) I just could not take going through so many batteries. So I traded it in for an Ovation Legend Nylon which I really liked (since sold) and then later sold the Ovation for a Godin Grand Concert Duet, which I still have.

But if I had to buy another classical acoustic electric and a Takamine was available again, I'd probably have no problems getting another as long as it has a more reasonable preamp in there. Not sure how today's preamps handle this issue, but I'm sure they have improved by now.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:53 AM

I have two Tak classicals, one a 132S and the other a rare 140(not sure of number because I'm out of town.) Both are wonderful guitars, easily played and with great tone. One I keep at the office, the other at home right next to my Rainsong Om1000. And I pick them up everytime that I want to play my favorite folk tunes. Highly recommend the Taks. Incidentally, my classical teacher also thinks highly of them.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:25 AM

I've never had the opportunity to play one of the better Yamaha's. The ones I see locally are uninspiring.

I'd go with the Tak's, based only on this somewhat skewed experience.

-brian

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical