The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-19-2014, 12:55 AM

Default Does anyone have any good links to restringing ukulele

I've been an acoustic guitar player for years and felt comfortable restringing them. I just starting playing ukulele - are there any good videos or links that show how to restring a Kamaka HF 1 Ukulele?

Thanks.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:57 AM

HawaiiMusicSupply has a well done video on YouTube.
Martin 000-28NB, Martin 000-17S, Martin D-18GE Custom Ambertone, 1915 Washburn Parlor, Thornward parlor, Seagull S6, Go Grande travel, Guild F512 , Voyage Air, Vagabond, Hammered Dulcimer, Wildwood & Deering banjos: All played with more enthusiasm than skill
Gone but not forgotten: Taylor 822Koa, Guild G312, Santa Cruz Koa H, Martin D-18, Martin 000-15S, Martin CEO-5, Martin J-35E
Old 12-19-2014, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

what i do is attach the string to the bridge(whether its a tie block or pins), pull the string taut and lay it in the nut slot-put the string thru the tuner hole and keep it taut, then keeping it snug i rerun it thru the tuner hole again and keep it pulled tight-all this facing the direction of turn, then i start turning to tighten-the nylon strings will stretch a lot, this usually gives me 3 wraps once everything is finished. Once tuned up to pitch, i pull each string midways of the fretboard and keeping it pulled up-run my finger up and down the length of the fretboard to stretch it out quicker-then retune-do that a few times.

if its the tieblock you need help with, look at any classical guitar string method-i tend to do 2 wraps on the bass strings and 3 wraps on the trebles to keep them from slipping(on a tie block). bridge pins, i double knot the string at the end so it will not slip and put it in like a guitar.

d
Old 12-19-2014, 11:25 PM

After you have done it a few times you will get a feel for how much slack to leave in the string so you have just a couple of wraps around the post. I have steel strings down pretty good but not the nylon Uke strings yet.

-r
Old 12-21-2014, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

I like this one....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfONxF00cIU
Old 12-22-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
[how much slack to leave in the string so you have just a couple of wraps around the post].

-r
Here's a tip: Don't leave any slack. Remember it's plastic of some sort. Nylon, Fluorocarbon, whatever. It stretches.

If you leave too many winds around the post, it will be very difficult for the uke to stay in tune, as it has to stretch those winds around the post as well as the scale length of the string.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:11 AM

I put the winds on first before going thru the hole on any instrument. Wound string should have at least 3 and plain at least 4 winds to keep from breaking. By winding on the post and keeping the string tight as you do it you need much less to turn it to pitch.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:03 PM

I don't believe that would work with a nylon string uke, Pops.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:04 AM

Done it on the wifes uke, works fine
Old 01-18-2015, 10:45 AM

Well, ok then.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Tags
kamaka, restring, ukulele