The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-22-2015, 08:09 AM

All good points, and I think I am coming off as way to harsh, cause I am not selling my JM 1000. But it seems few admit to what Steelvibe is picking up on and he has grown to like the neck. It is a pretty unique profile which he nor I have experienced in other guitars.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 11-22-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
All good points, and I think I am coming off as way to harsh, cause I am not selling my JM 1000. But it seems few admit to what Steelvibe is picking up on and he has grown to like the neck. It is a pretty unique profile which he nor I have experienced in other guitars.
As to the actual N2 neck, I am by no means an expert on all the various neck profiles, but I personally find the N2 very playable regardless of how unique it is. I definitely prefer the feel and look of a shallower neck profile (like on my Charis), but it's never been a major playability issue for me.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:08 AM

Tried all Rainsong models, except the APLE. And tried all Emerald except the Synergy and Chimaera.

Let's just say I stick to the Emerald for now.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I am not surprised that your customers preferred the N2 because it had a truss rod. Not sure the N1 had a chance in that scenario...
Well, if my clients were choosing the N2 over the N1 because of the truss rod, than what does that say about the importance of a neck shape?
Old 11-22-2015, 08:50 PM

I can only share my personal experience... so here goes.

I currently own two Rainsong guitars--a Shorty and a Nylon Parlor. I love them both. The truss rod being included was a deal-breaker for me. Neck shape is a HUGE deal for me... however having the truss rod is the ball game.

That said... I am a BIG fan of lower profile necks. I have grown comfortable (not fallen in love) with the N2 neck, but given a choice of and N2 neck with a truss rod OR an N1 (or similar) neck WITH a truss rod... it would not even be a discussion. The N1 (or lower profile) neck WITH a truss rod would take the day--every day--and it wouldn't even be close. Again, this is just me. I have been very selective thru the years in obtaining my electric guitars, and because I CAN choose lower profile necks... I DO.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:04 AM

Quote:
What I percieve to be as far as harshness from you, is not so much with the N2 neck, but rather the N-1 is no longer an option. I get that. Options are what we expect when we're buying high end merchandise.
I do personally believe the N-1 will make a return. If not stop calling the current and only neck "N-2" which would make you surmise there is an "N-1",and just say "The RainSong Neck"

They'll bring it back. Why would any Business, turn away business.
However: I like the N2
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat

Last edited by Finger Stylish; 11-23-2015 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
I do personally believe the N-1 will make a return. If not stop calling the current and only neck "N-2" which would make you surmise there is an "N-1",and just say "The RainSong Neck"
Actually, to me that indicates they will eventually come out with an N3
Old 11-23-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceMusik View Post
Actually, to me that indicates they will eventually come out with an N3
That wouldn't shock me.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 11-23-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Well, if my clients were choosing the N2 over the N1 because of the truss rod, than what does that say about the importance of a neck shape?
It merely shows the real or perceived importance of the truss rod. It does trump neck profile, in the case of Rainsong, it does for me, as well. I can like live with the N2 if it means I can dial in my perfect setup.

I apologize to the original poster, I took this tread away from your original thoughts and that wasn't for the best.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 11-23-2015, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

I would like to see the N1 Neck offered once again as an option. Also, I do think there will be an N3 Neck in the future. The N2 Neck is okay but I find it gets chunky feeling as I go up the neck.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-23-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I would like to see the N1 Neck offered once again as an option. Also, I do think there will be an N3 Neck in the future. The N2 Neck is okay but I find it gets chunky feeling as I go up the neck.
I think it will have to be a N3, slimmer neck with a truss rod. Once you offer a truss rod the N1 is dead, can't go backwards.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 11-24-2015, 03:16 AM

I agree, the N2 neck is awesome! I've had my Smokey for over a month now and I've play it longer on a daily basis than any other guitar I ever owned. My church had a gathering of different churches this past week and instead of all the visiting guitars players setting up their guitars between each other, I just let them all use my Rainsong. They were all very impressed and were asking me about it afterwords.

On a side note, does anyone else with a Rainsong have a slight uneven bulge on the bottom half of the top? It's very minor and I just noticed it a couple days ago. I doubt it affects the sound and it a result from the top being so thin.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

I go from a pretty thick Takamine neck (probably my most comfortable of all) to the N2 in my H-OM without any real thought. I think I like a slightly thicker neck, and the inclusion of the truss rod was what made me consider the Rainsong over some other available models. I tried a CA guitar, and when changing saddle height didn't set the action well, and I couldn't adjust the neck relief, it had to go back. The H-OM fits me very well, and the neck is a great match for my hand.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-27-2015, 05:51 PM

I don't think there's a neck I've played that I can claim is unplayable. The guitar itself is a foreign fit to the hand from day one that we must adapt to. The succession of guitars after that suddenly tosses that logic into the trash can as suddenly illogical?

Get my point? If the neck is a different shape but worth adapting to for access to the sound of the guitar, then how is that different than adapting to the very first guitar we all picked up? It was no more familiar to us than another succeeding guitar of a different size/shape neck.

I've played many shapes and sizes of necks. Having a large hand can create muscle cramping with too small a neck because the hand must close down considerably versus the amount needed to play a larger neck. But, that doesn't mean the neck is unplayable. Adapting to it is a necessity but no big deal. As far as a small hand unable to adapt to a large neck, I've seen far too many virtuoso youngsters shredding their way to fame to buy that claim.

What we're really saying is we don't want to adopt and adapt anymore. It has nothing to do with the neck of the guitar but, instead, everything to do with desire. Comfort zones can be restrictive.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
The guitar itself is a foreign fit to the hand from day one that we must adapt to. The succession of guitars after that suddenly tosses that logic into the trash can as suddenly illogical?

If the neck is a different shape but worth adapting to for access to the sound of the guitar, then how is that different than adapting to the very first guitar we all picked up? It was no more familiar to us than another succeeding guitar of a different size/shape neck.

What we're really saying is we don't want to adopt and adapt anymore. It has nothing to do with the neck of the guitar but, instead, everything to do with desire. Comfort zones can be restrictive.
Excellent observations here Pitar I took the personal elements of how these statements apply to you to reveal just how truthful those statements apply to all of us. Any guitar (especially pertaining to it's neck) will take some time to adjust to, but I find that some guitars are worth the extra time it takes to work through that adjustment period.

Even a custom instrument built to a player's every whim would require a great deal of practice to achieve optimal results.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber