The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-22-2014, 08:10 AM

Default Sympathetic buzz

My little martin seems to have a very strange buzz on the low E string (5th-7th fret). I've taken it to the shop and they can't seem to pinpoint the cause.

-the neck is straight
-strings are fresh
-bridge, saddle and nut are good

What seems to catch my attention is the fact that the buzz disappears when the guitar is played upside down or in a classical angle. I can also temporarily 'fix' this or transfer the buzz elsewhere by tapping the area below the bridge.

I was just curious if anyone has had any experience with this.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:32 AM

It could easily be some frets coming out of alignment slightly (loose fret ends?), but it could just as easily be a kink in your string. Try a new string, and look carefully at the frets.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 09-23-2014, 03:37 AM

Oh, the frets are pristine. Cheers, anyway mate.

I've given him into the shop for them to take it to martin and see what they have to say about it.

The worst thing that can happen is they can't fault it and I'll have to solve the problem over time.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:21 AM

Is it a back buzz? That is when the string vibrates on the frets between the fretting hand and the nut.
Back buzz mainly happens on the sixth string, and only when the neck has too little relief, and when the nut height is perfect (exact same height as the frets).
The cure is to add relief, and/or raise the sixth string a little at the nut.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:06 AM

There can be a LOT of "back-and-forth" with trying to chase down buzzes by long distance, so I wrote up a little diagnostic system to help out - take a trip over to FRETS.COM:

BUZZ DIAGNOSIS PAGES
Old 09-26-2014, 07:32 AM

Hey Frank,

I've read your list and I'm leaning towards loose brace due to the fact that I can temporarily fix this by slapping the area below the bridge. Strange, having only had the guitar for 4 months.

Otherwise, it could be loose wires/electronics as the local shop thinks at the moment. They're getting in contact with Martin and will contact me ASAP.

Cheers,
Old 09-26-2014, 11:39 AM

From your description (and players' descriptions of buzzes are often unreliable) it is either loose wiring or the ball end of a string.

Both can be tracked down by a decent repair tech. There is no need to send a guitar to the Martin factory to diagnose a buzz. I suggest you get your guitar back and take it to a good repair shop.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:35 AM

This may sound silly but I have had a strange buzz before and a simple twisting of the truss rod left and right got rid of it.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:06 AM

It's not silly at all. Truss rod buzz is one of those that can create a real headache....particularly if tightening the rod to get rid of it causes the neck to be back-bowed.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

As mentioned, the truss rod is one possibility. I had a similar buzz on a guitar. I just looked at the truss rod nut (ok, did a tiny tweak) and it went away.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-23-2014, 05:14 AM

Default Found it.

Thanks for the replies, gents. After a few weeks of studying this problem, I have been able to pinpoint the battery back as the culprit. Opening the pack cures the buzz completely. Are there any methods you can recommend to somehow suppress this noise once and for all?
Old 10-23-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
Thanks for the replies, gents. After a few weeks of studying this problem, I have been able to pinpoint the battery back as the culprit. Opening the pack cures the buzz completely. Are there any methods you can recommend to somehow suppress this noise once and for all?
I have in the past wrapped batteries with a layer of masking tape to eliminate buzz. Depends what type of battery and holder it is, but something to put light pressure on the vibrating battery or lid should do the trick.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 11-10-2014, 06:12 AM

Default Case closed.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I've finally solved this interesting case of buzz. It turns out that the battery's plastic/paper coat was loose and was vibrating inside the pack. I changed the batteries and the buzz was cured.

I reckon Ned's method of wrapping the battery in tape would have also done the trick.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair