The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 09:09 AM

Foreigner and BOSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sibKEEBlfWs

Last edited by Glennwillow; 09-30-2016 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-28-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbiker1961 View Post
I have been playing for 35 yrs out of the " traditional" PA, the only thing that convinced me was actually giging with the unit in the same bars I was using a traditional PA.
I'd be interested in what you consider a traditional PA. That's a pretty broad brush you're painting with.

Quote:

Here is a thought, if you think it's too expensive don't buy one,
I didn't.

Quote:
if you like driving sound from a directional speaker to the audience, then do that.
I do, and with fantastic results.

Quote:
I have seen it in real action, not propaganda from BOSE.
Bose cannot and does not defy the laws of physics. They can be made to sound good in a few IMO, limited applications, but it's far more expensive, and less flexible than a traditional PA.

I have gigged through a few different versions of the Bose systems.

Spend your money any way that you see fit. If you get the results that you want, then all is good. All that matters is that you're happy.

Last edited by Glennwillow; 09-30-2016 at 02:49 PM. Reason: rule #1
Old 09-28-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Is it just me, (and it may be the pickup systems) but their guitars sound absolutely awful to me in this video.

Last edited by Glennwillow; 09-30-2016 at 02:50 PM. Reason: edited quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I see it as cogitative dissonance.
Quote:
People can have opinions all day and night,...
Quote:
but as far as I am concerned,...
So you're the only one entitled to an opinon...?

Quote:
They have a bias maybe based on not being able to afford the unit
Yeah man, that MUST be it. :roll

Quote:
saying the BOSE and a traditional PA can obtain the same results is not an educated response.
Correct. They can't obtain the same results. The Bose system doesn't have anywhere near the punch and fullness of my traditional system. Especially not in the bigger venues that I play.

Quote:
...my guess is, people saying it have never performed on a regular basis with this system.
Another opinion based in what exactly...? Either way, you have guessed incorrectly.

Again, they can sound decent especially if you're just dealing with an acoustic guitar and a vocal, but they can't compete with a pro setup with a knowledgeable sound tech at the helm. In my humble opinion and all that YMMV stuff.

I mean, go on any pro audio forum. Tons of real world information there.

Last edited by The Kid!; 09-28-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:24 AM

Quote:
One of the thing I noticed when I switched to the BOSE was comments from the audience about how even the sound was no matter where you were in a the room. Acoustic guitar feedback on stage went away. Bartenders telling me they could hear us perfectly and still take drink orders. For an acoustic show, nothing beats this unit. While it is more expensive, to me between the simple set up, the even sound ( and better sound IMO) it is worth the investment, especially if this is going to be a part time business. Take the write off and buy it!
The lack of directional focus - the sound doesn't appear to be coming from the performer, it's simply hanging in the air - is my biggest complaint about the Bose stick PA, that and its "antiseptic," slightly artificial sound.

It obviously has lots of fans, though.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
The lack of directional focus - the sound doesn't appear to be coming from the performer, it's simply hanging in the air - is my biggest complaint about the Bose stick PA, that and its "antiseptic," slightly artificial sound.

It obviously has lots of fans, though.
Then you should stick with what you like. I disagree with your evaluation.

Last edited by nhbiker1961; 09-29-2016 at 02:17 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
Is it just me, (and it may be the pickup systems) but their guitars sound absolutely awful to me in this video.
It's you. Maybe you need a better PC sound system? BOSE sells one
Old 09-29-2016, 02:13 AM

Quote:
So you're the only one entitled to an opinon...?

I get it! You don't like BOSE, you are a sound expert, BLAH BLAH,, meanwhile I will use the new system I bought and probably sell the other 2 traditional systems I have. Because to me the BOSE sounds better, easier to carry, and the only real opinion I care about with my gigs is, mine and my audience, not a so called "internet sound tech".

Last edited by Glennwillow; 09-30-2016 at 02:52 PM. Reason: rule #1
Old 09-29-2016, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
We were out and about today (our daughter wanted us to pick up a sweatshirt or jacket from her alma mater), and happened upon the Harvest Fest in downtown Rapid City (South Dakota). A typical "fall festival," with fair-type booths, funnel cake, kiddie rides, etc, etc.

From a distance, we could hear live music. Not muffled sounding from a distance. When I got close enough to see...

That was some nice outdoor sound: full, rich, not blasting or over-powering. It is the subwoofer Bose F1 with the array tower from an L1. A reasonably large outdoor venue, and it sounded great from side to side. Impressive. Didn't get the player's name - he was good, too.
Back to the OP! Yep, it does sound good! I have done 4 gigs with it since I bought it and I will be doing my first outdoor gig with my BOSE this Sat and then next week at a large county fair. I will let you know how it works!
Old 09-29-2016, 05:49 AM

Quote:
I have enjoyed this battle between Bose fans and traditional PA fans. I am a huge sports fan and enjoy any type of competition even if it's a battle of opinions, which is a crazy thing to argue over but fun nonetheless. I'll start by saying I have no dog in this race. I am a solo fingerstyle player and have no need for either system. That being said I have to agree with The Kid here, the guitars don't sound good in this video, they sound very brittle to me. I am listening through some very good computer speakers so that's not the issue, the guitar sound is the issue. Of course, this is subjective and my opinion is worth something only to me and perhaps The Kid because we agree. It certainly could be the pickups causing the guitars to sound like this but if it's not and this is what you can expect through a Bose system, I'll stick to my acoustic amps.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fret-O'File View Post
I have enjoyed this battle between Bose fans and traditional PA fans. I am a huge sports fan and enjoy any type of competition even if it's a battle of opinions, which is a crazy thing to argue over but fun nonetheless. I'll start by saying I have no dog in this race. I am a solo fingerstyle player and have no need for either system. That being said I have to agree with The Kid here, the guitars don't sound good in this video, they sound very brittle to me. I am listening through some very good computer speakers so that's not the issue, the guitar sound is the issue. Of course, this is subjective and my opinion is worth something only to me and perhaps The Kid because we agree. It certainly could be the pickups causing the guitars to sound like this but if it's not and this is what you can expect through a Bose system, I'll stick to my acoustic amps.
I have yet to meet guitar players that agree on EQ on a guitar from one to another. BOSE like any other system can be EQ'd to your taste, adding compression, effects ot whatever. You do not have to choose the presets, I didn't.

Last edited by nhbiker1961; 09-29-2016 at 06:38 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:01 AM

Quote:
So how many of these Bose L1 systems were used by Foreigner in this video. I saw at least 3. So what would the cost be on this type of use, and can the average non full time gigging group afford such a sound system compared to others is a question only answered by the ones paying the bill.
No sound system will make you or your sound, something it isn't.
I'd like to try the L1 some time to see if it does something I can't get out of my Fishman Artist and Performer.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat

Last edited by Glennwillow; 09-30-2016 at 02:53 PM. Reason: edited quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
So how many of these Bose L1 systems were used by "Foreiger" in this video. I saw at least 3. So what would the cost be on this type of use, and can the average non full time gigging group afford such a sound system compared to others is a question only answered by the ones paying the bill.
No sound system will make you or your sound, something it isn't.
I'd like to try the L1 some time to see if it does something I can't get out of my Fishman Artist and Performer cannot do.
In a large band situation, this would be expensive and unrealistic. As an acoustic duo, it's great but still expensive. I no longer bring an amp or a DI box, plug straight in. No speaker poles, no floor wedges. I agree it won't make you sound more talented than you are, but it can enhance what you already have. When I can hear better I have more confidence. When my guitar is not howling from sound hole feedback, I play better because I am not agitated. What convinced me was getting up on a stage with one and playing ( friend of mine) I was not really that impressed when just looking at it in a music store.

As far as the fishman amps, they are great! I have the mini and might use that is a tiny place.( we play a small nursing home for charity and just bring the fishman) But the BOSE model 2 is a system equipped to handle audiences of 500 people and multiple vocal and guitar channels.

Last edited by nhbiker1961; 09-29-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:48 AM

I'm not an expert on performing thru the Bose system, but I am an expert on listening to groups play thru PA systems. The first time I heard one, it caught my ear the moment I walked thru the door. It sounds 'friendly'. But, frankly, when I see a small group set up with speakers on poles, floor monitors and a mixing board off to one side, I want to head for the exit. More often than not, those systems drive me right out of the room. Sorry.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I'm not an expert on performing thru the Bose system, but I am an expert on listening to groups play thru PA systems. The first time I heard one, it caught my ear the moment I walked thru the door. It sounds 'friendly'. But, frankly, when I see a small group set up with speakers on poles, floor monitors and a mixing board off to one side, I want to head for the exit. More often than not, those systems drive me right out of the room. Sorry.
I have to agree with you on this. I'm seeing more people with over amplification than under. I really do appreciate the tone of the Bose system. I also like the Fishman and Line6 systems. The other linear systems and compact PAs sound great too. Used properly, they can all sound good. But, the benefit of the Bose system is it is designed to be fool proof and is tough to overdo. Each of the components is matched. If it weren't for the price, I would likely have one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification