The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-18-2016, 06:53 PM

Default Memphis Acoustic Guitar Festival

Save the dates - JUNE 9-11, 2017
Final contracts have been signed and we are on our way to a fantastic festival. Before I go into some of the details of the festival, I want to address our marketing efforts. There has been a lot of talk on social media about advertising/marketing of festivals, so I want to address that first. We have budgeted $30,000.00 to hard core advertising in magazines, newspapers, web and every source you can possibly imagine. The Memphis Convention Bureau has promised us coverage on local television and radio. In addition, we will of course do a lot of targeted social media advertising.

We have a great venue in an area that has a lot of guitar players. Less than a day's drive from Nashville, Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas and many, many other midwest cities. Many people who might have wanted to go to a festival but didn't want to spend the money to go to either coasts, NOW have the opportunity to see luthiers they've only dreamed about.

We have made the decision NOT to go bigger, but to go smaller. We will only allow 70 luthiers at the festival, so the attendees will have more time to spend with each luthier. We have also decreased the workshops and concerts so attendees can concentrate with talking to luthiers, play their guitars and buy them! After all, aside from hearing wonderful musicians and non-stop music, the reason for this festival is to sell guitars and we are doing everything possible to make that happen.

The Venue
Everything is in the Hilton Memphis, we are renting all 15,000 square feet available, like last year. Everything is close from the luthier area, the vendor area (better location than last year), workshops, demo concerts, concert room and quiet rooms. Everything all together and close, plenty of water in the exhibition room, food is available, adjacent to the exhibition areas during lunch time. Of course we have special pricing of only $124.00 at this beautiful Hilton. You need to make reservations through our website to get this price. We have limited rooms available at this price, so you'll want to make reservations early.

Optional Evening Activities

Last year we got B.B. King's to allow us in with no cover charge and we had our own cover band (the Luthi-Aires with Tom Ribbecke, Steve Grimes, Julies Borges and Larry Robinson). This year we will be at the newly renovated Hard Rock Cafe - by far the best venue on Beale Street. This time there will be no lines as we have the restaurant and stage area as a private event just for the Memphis Festival! Again we will have the Luthi-Aires, but in some other configuration that Tom will put together) along with some guest musicians. Of course we have rented luxury buses to transport everyone to and from Beale Street (actually stops right in front of Hard Rock Cafe).

Saturday night our headliner will be the fabulous TOMMY EMMANUEL right at the Hilton after dinner, with Richard Smith opening. To make sure everyone can enjoy a meal between the end of the exhibition and the start of the concert. The restaurant will be open EXCLUSIVELY for us and be buffet style. In addition, there will be some food available outside the concert area.

As in FYI, last year both optional events sold out months before the festival. That pricing will go up on our website by the end of the year...tickets available for the festival now.

At the time of this writing we still have some tables available. If you are interested in exhibiting, please email me at [email protected]

I'm sure I've forgotten some things, but you'll ask and I will answer

Bob Singer
Old 10-18-2016, 07:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Looking foward to a great show Bob. A hearty thank you for all you do for us!
Old 10-18-2016, 07:22 PM

This sounds like a really great event with really cool ideas for entertainment and dinners etc. etc. and TE !!!!!!

Great Job Mr. Singer.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:17 PM

Thanks Tim & Tom. It's really a labor of love. It's all about the luthiers and the attendees. I want everyone to go home and remember this weekend for years to come. We will do everything possible to make this a most memorable event for everyone.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:32 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Looking forward to this!
Old 10-19-2016, 07:05 AM

Wonderful. When do you anticipate that you'll be posting a tentative list of
luthiers who are exhibiting?
Old 10-19-2016, 07:23 AM

Cogito, I won't list the luthiers until they all have been selected. It's a really tough page to build on the internet. Plus I will be doing it differently this year. Along with a hyperlink, I will be allowing each luthier to post a jpg and a MP# file or a video of a guitar. It's a page that I only want to do once!
Old 10-19-2016, 07:34 AM

Count me among those pleased to attend.

The Memphis Hilton was a great venue (I'm told much better than the venue used for SBAIC) and I wound up commissioning four instruments from three different builders I met there. I'll look forward to spending the whole weekend soaking in the great guitars and wonderful experiences in Memphis.

Thanks again for doing it!
Old 10-19-2016, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like a great time. Too bad the date conflicts with many guitar builders that will be at the ASIA Symposium in East Stroudsburg PA.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettWilliams View Post
Count me among those pleased to attend.

The Memphis Hilton was a great venue (I'm told much better than the venue used for SBAIC) and I wound up commissioning four instruments from three different builders I met there. I'll look forward to spending the whole weekend soaking in the great guitars and wonderful experiences in Memphis.

Thanks again for doing it!
Thanks Everett. Get plenty of sleep the week before, because you're going to be very busy and lot's of fun!
Old 10-19-2016, 04:27 PM

And I thought I had run out of excuses to go to Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken on Front Street in Memphis.....
Old 10-19-2016, 05:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Can't wait! Thank you Bob!

www.vinesguitars.com
Old 10-20-2016, 08:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

The Memphis venu is great. Good lodging upstairs from the show, air conditioned, carpeted, great security, good listening rooms ample space, and really well oranized. The only thing it lacks are throngs of buyers and from what i hear that's the norm for first year shows. (There is hope for SBAIC) Attendance should be better this year and only grow in the years to come.

Thanks for your hard work on this Bob. Im looking forward to the show.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Bob & Bill are to American guitar shows as what Jacque Andre' and Arno were to the Montreal Guitar Show. (Exhibitors of both shows will understand that analogy). What this means to the general audience is that you can expect a first class AAA experience at Bob and Bill's show in Memphis.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Yup, let me pile on as well. Very well organized, and a world-class venue.
Very much looking forward to this show Bob!
And like all have said, thank you for your hard work!
To those who were, or might yet be on the fence about coming, get yourself to Memphis for next year's show. You won't be disappointed.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop