The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-09-2016, 10:28 AM

28" for the top and 15" for the back
Old 10-10-2016, 09:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Writing is simply another avenue through which humans are able to be creative. For some people, the 12-pack of Crayolas is enough...but then there are those who feel censored without the 256-pack. I fall somewhere in between the two extremes. 🎨

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSemmens View Post
I'm not a builder, but I could not help your use of the plural of radius being that of radii. From a, once, Latin student. Too many people these days do not appreciate the finer nuances of the English language. FWIW Radiuses seems to have become acceptable, just not in my vocabulary. So; thank you from a pedant.

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 10-10-2016, 09:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for responding, redir & takeitslow.

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 10-12-2016, 07:41 PM

30' top

15' back
Old 10-13-2016, 07:18 PM

I have 25' and 15' dishes. Think my radius's are less though, the backs more than the front. The bracing does not hold the top and back exactly at the dish radius due to some spring back.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:11 PM

Similar to redir, 15' back, dead flat top though I also cant the rim above the UTB to the heel block about a degree. It is my understanding that Martin does this as well.

Technically on my backs, my radius did is something like 14'-10'' and I shape the braces as such. I then use a 15' radius sanding block to touch up the rim, which I had pre-shaped before bending. By the time I glue back to rim, the back had sprung back slightly and fits the rim nicely.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:25 PM

I've been doing 28' and 16' for tops and backs respectively for quite a while.
I've really wanted to experiment with arched rather than domed tops ala Laurent Brondel for a while now and might give that a go soon.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
Thanks Steve,
It's a blessing, and a curse.....there's a somewhat OCD creature living inside, who forces me to make things as well as I can possibly make them.....no matter what it is that I'm making, or how important its purpose. The blessing is that I've developed the ability to create things with a high level of detail.....and the curse is that I spend way too much time building things that don't need to be anywhere near perfect. I am hopeful, though, that this compulsion will lend itself well to building guitars. 😜
Boy does that sound familiar! I think the contractor who does out house renovation projects hates me for it.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Hey, Joel,
Ever since the beginning, I've put a 15' radius on the backs and a 25' radius on the top. You know, since you asked, I'm not really sure why I've stuck with those numbers, except that I like the way my guitars look and perform with that architecture.
You may be opening up a lively conversation here; I'm looking forward to hearing what other builders have to say about this topic.

I will say that for me, the 25' top radius works very well for the way I build. And when you induce a radius like that onto a load-bearing plate, you are automatically giving it more strength against the torsion of string pull. So you can build that top thinner- actually, more lightly overall- and I think, get more tonal response from it, without sacrificing structural integrity.

Additionally, a radiused top will really help to reduce distortion over time. We've all seen old Martins and Gibsons that have bellied-up behind the bridge, and with a sunken concavity in front of the bridge. This condition often necessitates a neck reset, and/or a JLD Bridge Doctor, or other bridge work, to bring the top back to spec and get the string height back down to a manageable height. Of course, a lot of that also depends on how you brace the top...

I think the reason I settled on the 15' back radius is also a matter of strength, which allows a lighter and more responsive build; and I just like the way it looks.

I think I read somewhere that Kevin Ryan puts an 8' radius on his backs. Anybody know if that's true?

And there is the other factor of avoiding standing waves in the soundbox. Two flat surfaces facing each other might cause the sound waves to just bounce back and forth without really going anywhere- resulting in a woofy, boomy, unfocused projection. But when those surfaces are domed, the sound waves bounce around in there like excited kids on a trampoline.
There's my $ 0.02.

By the way, that is some impeccably clean work you're doing there. Clearly, you're making your jigs and fixtures to have a service life of several generations. If your son Zane decides follow you into this Craft, he'll be pretty well set up!
I believe it's 7'. I actually met Kevin at Woodstock this weekend. What a great guy, and willing to share his knowledge with me. He developed the A4 kerfed lining as a necessity for getting the kining around the tight compound curves at the waist and upper bout...
Old 10-24-2016, 11:18 PM

31' 4" Top
13' 9" Back

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop