The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-27-2016, 07:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Wow...what a beauty! We'll done, both of you.
We first met Joel at the Memphis show, and were thoroughly impressed with his sense of style. His ability to blend your needs with his aesthetic is enviable.
Very much look forward to seeing this at SBAIC!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 08-28-2016, 10:26 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
I think it safe to say, your next CD will be recorded with this one, unless you already have some tracks down? Much to look forward to; I'm anxious to hear the tone of this creation!
Steve
I can't say how this might unfold...definitely don't have enough material I am satisfied with right now for a new CD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasapple View Post
Thanks for sharing, Larry!

With the shorter scale length and your altered tuning playing style did you and Joel consider a fan fret multiscale? I am just curious about your thoughts on this--i am not an expert on multiscale and don't have strong opinions either way.

I signed up for your SBAIC ergonomics session and was bummed when Kevin told me that you could not attend--but I'm sure we will learn a lot from your experiences here with building an ergonomic guitar for your needs.

Best regards,
Charles
I apologize (to you, and others, especially Kevin Gillies) for having to withdraw from the SBAIC event. As Vonnegut said, "So it goes."

The whole multi-scale thing doesn't really work for me. It seems to me that the idea of this is to have a longer bass scale for additional tension/volume/clarity to the bass side. This is done, of course, by using the longer scale on that side. So this makes a longer stretch than if the scale is based solely on the treble side, which must always be at least "adequate" for tone/tension.

EDIT: This assumes that the longer bass scale length is still of manageable length.

For me, the 24" scale (when considering just the treble side) is about the shortest I want to go in regards to tone/tension. It is also the *longest* I want to go in regards to overall stretch/reach across the fingerboard (and in considering the bass side).

I hope these last two/three (above, including the edit) sentences sum this up properly. They make sense to me, anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Wow...what a beauty! We'll done, both of you.
We first met Joel at the Memphis show, and were thoroughly impressed with his sense of style. His ability to blend your needs with his aesthetic is enviable.
Very much look forward to seeing this at SBAIC!

Steve

Amidst many top-shelf builders who I have as friends and acquaintances (and many whom I don't know), Joel is absolutely doing great work...and I am pleased to be a part of the journey/adventure...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 08-28-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Larry--thanks for your thoughts on multiscale. You bring up a great point about the finger stretch distances and how those will be longer for the bass strings. My aching mildly arthritic fingers literally feel that pain.

We are looking forward to you receiving this beautiful instrument and hearing the beautiful music you will make with it!

Best,
Charles
Minerva 0 12 fret
Edwinson Falcon 0 cutaway, sapele/spruce
Edwinson Zephyr 00 cutaway, koa/spruce
Taylor 612-C Maple Grand Concert (1997)
Taylor 612-CE Maple Grand Concert (1999)
Old 09-21-2016, 01:06 PM
Humanist

Here's the latest, as Joel prepares the OO-R for display (and play!) at the SBAIC...swing by and try 'er!

Bridge application:

Ready for set-up:

Rosette...a taste of the purple (for the memory of Prince, and for my wife's favorite color):

Old 09-21-2016, 03:58 PM

Haaa! Joel received his guitar!!! I am the next one! I am so impatient, what a finish!!!
Old 09-21-2016, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

Can't wait to see it and catch up with Joel. LOVE the rosette!
Old 09-21-2016, 11:55 PM

Wow! The rosette!! I like how you conveniently left out photos of the finished back it's a pity you won't be at SBAIC though!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 09-22-2016, 05:38 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Having seen and played his guitars in Memphis and getting to hang out with him a little at Graceland, Joel is really a rising star (or perhaps risen.)

Congrats!
Old 09-22-2016, 05:49 AM

Looks great. Can you talk more about the logic and/or function of the scooped-out fretboard? Seen a similar thing on flailing banjos. Is it to allow you to fingerpick cleanly up in that part of the fretboard?

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 09-22-2016, 06:58 AM

That is really nice looking!
Old 09-22-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasapple View Post
Larry--thanks for your thoughts on multiscale. You bring up a great point about the finger stretch distances and how those will be longer for the bass strings. My aching mildly arthritic fingers literally feel that pain.

Best,
Charles
The most important thing for Larry (and ourselves as listeners) is that he can play effectively and comfortably!

My main guitar has a fan fret although quite a modest one.I use a number of C tunings and the extra bit of tension on the bass strings helps tighten things up a bit. I can play these things without a capo where on my other guitars this sounds a little flabby.

DADGAD is a little different though as this tunings often means a greater movement between the upper and lower parts of the fretboards, hence the stretch. The modest stretches are fine for me although I do notice myself playing DADGAD with a capo on fret 2 more than before!

There is a whole debate and science about fan frets that I was ignorant about when I commissioned my guitar from Adrian Lucas. The 1st string on this guitar never goes above D and so we settled on a tropical OM length here. The bass length was designed to just give that extra tension to C. From memory the range is 630 to 660 millimetres.

I ask very happy with this gentle arrangement as it tweaks things a little in the areas I wanted. However, others do things differently.

Some like the fact that you can have a shorter scale length on the treble (more sweetness) and the scale like mine on the bass — this sharpens the angel of the fret.

Others go further still which takes the bass into almost baritone space. I've played a few of these and generally didn't really go for them.

I think with fan frets you need to know what you want them for and work things out from there. The internal barring arrangements have to change a little and — given the different length options — you're not really going to see fan frets on many production lines any time soon.

But back to Larry. I'm just grateful is is playing again — and hopefully recording soon too.
Martin J40
Old 09-22-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
...the angel of the fret.
Where can we find one?
Old 09-23-2016, 06:01 PM

It looks beautiful! Never played one, but I bet it sounds amazing!

Olson SJ 2014 - Sinker Redwood/BRW
Olson SJ 2016 - Torrefied Adi/BRW
Santa Cruz 00-Skye - Adi/Coco
Bourgeois Aged Toned Dread - Torrefied Adi/BRW
Collings D2HA Dark Sunburst Traditional Satin Finish
Martin OM-18 Authentic 1933 VTS - Adi/Mah
Taylor 414CE - Sitka/Ovangkol
Old 09-27-2016, 11:09 AM
Humanist

Joel is getting ready to leave for Santa Barbara...I *do* hope some AGF members not only stop by his table, but grab my guitar and take it for a spin...I'd love the feedback!

Here are the finished-photos:

Old 09-27-2016, 12:07 PM

Larry, looks great!

Think I'm going to have Joel build me his new OO shape. Really like the way he reshaped it. Hope this guitar works for you for many years to come!

Last edited by EverettWilliams; 09-27-2016 at 02:04 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop