The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-24-2016, 01:22 PM

Default Trip Report- 2016 Woodstock Luthiers Showcase

This was a pilgrimage of sorts for me. The last time I was here was for *the woodstock*. Fitting that it rained a good deal over the weekend A lot has changed in our world since then, but good people, good music, and incredible artistry were still to be found in abundance! I've quickly captured a few memories while they are fresh and couple of snapshots. I apologize in advance: these are not the greatest photos. Intended only as "yellow sticky note" reminders for me. Most of the instruments have far better photos on the builder sites than could be captured here at the show.

I had no idea what to expect, being my first time to a show of this nature. I imagined pretty much being limited to peaking over peoples shoulders in a look but don't touch manner ... and being done in an hour or two. Far from it, and most surprisingly for me - it was much more about people than the guitars. I'll explain. But let me state the obvious: there was indeed a dizzying array of the best instruments being made on the planet today. Anyone fortunate enough to be carrying around $50K or so of pocket money, could have easily picked up a half dozen or so 'lifetime guitars' in a variety of shapes, sizes, and sonic palettes ... possibly ending a GAS induced stream of serial acquisitions looking for the holy grail instrument There were dozens right at your fingertips here.

It was not a buying trip for me, so I brought home nothing but good memories ... oh, and a great Kinloch Nelson CD. But the force was strong, and it still took plenty of self restraint. I'd be incredibly hard pressed to just pick one for any future commissions. Here's goes my report:

First off, the trip through the Catskill's was gorgeous on Friday morning. There were plenty fall colors on display and unseasonably warm weather. The miles rolled by effortlessly in a kaleidoscope of natures beauty.

Anyone see the 'hidden gorilla' in this next one?

Once at the show, my journey started with Rick Davis - Running Dog Guitars. I can't imagine more gracious people than Rick and his partner Cat Fox. In an amazing display of generosity, Rick offered table space to show my Running Dog Concert Jumbo currently for sale. I was very anxious to see his new work and talk further about some luthiery questions. His beautiful L-0 (sorry it sold) was a small body sonic wonder, and it felt so comfortable to these aging shoulders. For those looking to branch out, his new neo-classical design is a stunning show stopper. Think Latin and Jazz nylon string-heaven sound. The best part: we chatted at length about various luthiery topics, including approaches to maximizing sound in small body instruments - sound ports, Manzer wedges, bevels, fan frets, and the like. He appears to enjoy teaching other builders as much as building himself.

Then along came Dana Bourgeois. He was in high demand so at that point it was only a quick hello, but I was amazed that he remembered well an instrument from the 2007 NAMM show I owned. More about Dana later ...

Fred Tellier really broke the ice for me ... he literally insisted that I play some of his instruments ... which shook me out of the "look but don't touch" timidity with which I was approaching the show. What a nice guy - funny - full of stories - and is clearly extremely passionate about his work - which was gorgeous. I had a blast playing his Bubinga Irish Bouzouki and then for the first time ever, experienced playing a fan fret guitar. Wow was that ever a treat, and just like "they say" everything fell naturally into place and it was extremely comfortable to play with virtually no adjustment in playing style. After getting lost in the instrument for a few minutes, I glance up, and standing a foot away listening is John Arnold. It turns out he had never played a fan fret either. I quickly turned it over to him. What a cool shared experience !!! We later chatted about Red Spruce, and he introduced me to the Hampton Brothers whom he has trained to be part of the next generation of sawyers and taking over the business. I connected with Matt Hampton and now have some beautiful old growth red spruce tops sourced.

John Arnold putting the beautiful Tellier fan fret through the paces.

I ran into Happy Traum and thanked him for 'all the lessons' I've enjoyed over the years. I tried to convince him that he should offer a 'cash for cassettes' program (ala cash for clunkers) to gain credits toward new lessons He was having none of it ...

John

... to be continued ...

My Music On Bandcamp
Acoustic Guitar Forum CD - Vol. 1

For Sale: Saville Baritone

Last edited by coopman; 10-27-2016 at 07:59 AM. Reason: fix up image links
Old 10-24-2016, 01:23 PM

Default Trip report continued ...

Then there was the fun little impromptu jam between Itamar Erez and Pierre Bensusan. Very interesting to see two world class musicians telepathically connect.

I finally made my way over to John Osthoff's table, one of our well known AGF frequent contributors. He was equally generous with providing playing opportunity. He brought multiple guitars over to the little alcove I was playing in, to allow back to back comparisons. For my tastes, and increasing preference toward smaller body guitars, his little maple GP was my favorite of the show and it's haunting my dreams ...

Then over to the Klien and Kauffman table, moving from one of the smallest instruments (John O's) to some of the largest ... the Klien 18" monsters. I'm sure everyone in attendance was struck by the erie green glowing rosette up on stage. Difficult to photograph, but very beautiful. Upon my comment, Steve quipped ... "yes, it's working ... attracting people like moths to a flame" LOL These guys are extremely down to earth. I never imagined ever seeing one of these, much less playing one. Steve Kauffman was very generous in discussing and demonstrating these museum quality works of art. Playing them was an other-worldly experience. Even for their size they had a very delicate sound that just seemed to materialize out of thin air. Must be experienced in person if you ever have the chance.

Going back and forth between the buildings, I had to stop and oogle the tonewood tables each time. Very dangerous for me, as tonewoods are nearly as addicting as guitars to me. I was finally able to meet Robert Cefalu in person, after many years of wood purchases from rctonewoods. Robert shared his trick for sneaking wood past his wife ... but I've been sworn to secrecy

I also had a very nice chat with Zach Lefebvre - Treehouse Guitars. He is doing some very nice work and bears watching, He apprenticed with Sergei de Jonge and it appears that he has not only developed a great eye for beautiful design, but has also already mastered french polishing.

As things started to wind down on Sunday I was able to spend some quality time with two fellow New Englanders who have been on my radar for many years.

A legend who stands tall among builders is Bill Tippin. He also happens to be pretty tall - I couldn't even fit him in the picture LOL. He was extremely generous with his time and showed me two of his African Blackwood beauties- he listened attentively while I was trying them out. I think I'm still shaking from the sensation of playing his Bravado Jumbo. The thing was vibrating just from the sound of people talking nearby. It had sustain that went on forever and it was truely like playing a baby grand piano. Now, as I'm really needing to be playing only smaller instruments, I asked to try his Cresendo - quickly - before I did something irrational. That was equally 'dangerous' as well. That's pictured with Bill here. His workmanship is stellar. I think he has the most comfortable necks I've ever played (for me anyway) - they were perfection. We discussed all sorts of options and ergonomic treatments as well. I don't think there is anything he couldn't do.

Finally, as things slowed down a bit, I was able to catch Dana Bourgeois and chat for a few minutes. Had an interesting discussion about Torrified Adi Spruce. They are now using it on ~50% of their instruments. Based on being able to play his personal little Single O sized Mahogany / Torrified Spruce guitar ... that's a really good thing. That little guitar was amazing and sounded like it could have been 80 years old (it's less that 1). Perfect cap to a jam packed weekend ... and these highlights only scratch the surface. Thanks to everyone!

John

My Music On Bandcamp
Acoustic Guitar Forum CD - Vol. 1

For Sale: Saville Baritone

Last edited by coopman; 10-24-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the kind words John, I had a blast at the show and met so many wonderful people. The best thing is putting faces to the names of people we know from the forums and facebook. I got a real nice Red Spruce top from the Hampton brothers and sent some money home with Carl Barney and Pete and Bob from RC Tonewood. I always say I will not buy any more wood but as usually happens my resolve fails me.

Fred

http://www.fetellierguitars.com
Old 10-24-2016, 06:59 PM

Very nice pictures! It's curious that most people at the Woodstock show this year weren't covered with mud and they had their clothes on. Times have changed. I wish I was there.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
Very nice pictures! It's curious that most people at the Woodstock show this year weren't covered with mud and they had their clothes on. Times have changed. I wish I was there.
Actually, Saturday was very wet and muddy! But the Woodstock Music Festival of 1969 was held about an hour away in Bethel, NY. Besides, these aging hippies had charge cards and bank accounts! (and probably should not be seen without clothes on )
Old 10-24-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Actually, Saturday was very wet and muddy! But the Woodstock Music Festival of 1969 was held about an hour away in Bethel, NY. Besides, these aging hippies had charge cards and bank accounts! (and probably should not be seen without clothes on )
Too funny, sad but true haha. As I drove through town I felt like I had been transported back to the 60's!!!
Old 10-24-2016, 07:38 PM

Way Ray Kraut there this year? Love his builds and all around great guy.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Smile Thanks for the lovely thread!

Very nice of you to share your fun with us all!

So many guitars, so little time (and money!)

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 10-24-2016, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

This was a great post. I love the trip reports that really try to give you a feel for the experience, so I appreciated the pictures of foliage and descriptions of meeting folks at the event.

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 10-24-2016, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the great pictures and descriptions!
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 10-24-2016, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilo123 View Post
Ray did SBAIC and Holly Grail shows this year, but was not at Woodstock.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Great photos. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-24-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Great photos. Thanks for sharing!
Aye! Great pics wish I met up with some AGFers out there...
Old 10-24-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilo123 View Post

I wish he was! Yes he's a great guy, and my buddy and I in 2014 just happened to save this and the other 00 from destruction when we caught them as they were both falling off their stands! He promised me a drink at Memphis but I was not able to attend, alas...
Old 10-25-2016, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Aye! Great pics wish I met up with some AGFers out there...
Maybe next year - we'll all get together for lunch on one of the days.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop