The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-24-2016, 10:13 AM

Default How does Italian Spruce patina over time?

Subject says it all, Just curious.

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 10-24-2016, 03:49 PM

My sole Italian Spruce topped instrument is staying pretty light colored and consistent. Not the heavy "amber'ing" that I associate with Sitka

My Music On Bandcamp
Acoustic Guitar Forum CD - Vol. 1

For Sale: Saville Baritone
Old 10-24-2016, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Most of the ones I have seen have stayed light colored over time.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:49 PM

Mine is still quite light coloured.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:05 AM
Charter Member

Longest I have had an Italian top is ten years, from new. Slight honey coloring and emphasis of the grain over that time, but nowhere near the change or deep honey colour that you can get with sitka. IMHO the aging adds character to the guitar.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:28 AM

This is dependent on the finish used on the wood. Wood as well as the varnish film itself are subject to uv light. The actual base color of the varnish can also dramatically effect the initial color comparatively along with it aging based on exposure.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:34 AM

I prefer the light colored tops aesthetically speaking. What kind of varnish or lacquer will be able to block the change in color from happening?
Old 10-25-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
I prefer the light colored tops aesthetically speaking. What kind of varnish or lacquer will be able to block the change in color from happening?
Many factors are involved, more than could be gone over vaguely with a short paragraph or two, but I would say that the "base" color of the finish/ particularly the sealer, {first coat to touch the raw wood} has the most initial impact on the color. For example, many people use shellac as a first coat/sealer, there are several refinement processes that will yield different colored shellacs, from the lightest {blonde} to a quite dark {amber} and several in between. So obviously if the dark product was used, this would add a much darker color cast than the blonde, and so right off the bat the instrument would look darker than one coated with blonde shellac.

How UV resistant a varnish/finish may be has lots to do with the base/vehicle/solvent and any additives that may be added by any given manufacturer. And so unless you know what a particular guitar manufacturer/maker uses it kinda a guessing game on how it will darken over time.

Related to this one of the most variable factors is stewardship, and or how you care for the instrument. An instrument that is cased and kept stored away form constant light will be less effected by one who keeps it in a bright sunny room on a stand.

Shellac, while being quite amber, even the blonde stuff, the film is very resistant to color change when compared to say an oil based urethane for example.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop