The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-11-2024, 08:53 PM

Must have a been a Martin 0018, cedar top (how nice that smelled!). But after I visited the Martin factory and played one they had there for folks to pick up, I was no longer satisfied and had to find one as good. Looked hard for months and finally ettled on a Martin M38, realizing that by then the sound and feel of that particular factory guitar was gone from my memory. I kept the M38 20 years, then decided I needed something louder and - somehow- better. That's when I stepped into it knee deep.(Or maybe waist deep, but I don't like to think I waisted my time.)

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:55 PM

I’ve owned a variety of entry level all laminate guitars over the years. My first good guitar was my Simon & Patrick Folk in high gloss sunburst. It has a solid cedar top and wild cherry back and sides. It’s my workhorse.
Fender FA100
Yamaha LS16M
Old 04-11-2024, 08:55 PM

It must be related to the average age of AGF members, but I too purchased a Ovation Balladeer as a first "good" acoustic guitar.

Over the next few years I started to hone in on Bluegrass and seeing local bands playing mostly Martins I talked to players and did some serious thinking about my Ovation. I examined it carefully and came to the conclusion that each of it's "features" were really designed to maximize profit for the manufacturer.

Given all that, I decided to move to a good wooden guitar. A trip to my local Martin shop clued me into some of their peculiarities, like the lack of truss rods, etc. The shop owner showed me his personal D-45 that was beautiful up until the first time he took it out to a gig and had the top spider web from opening it before warming up to room temperature.

Then there was the price.

I left the shop, pondered a bit, and thought that they were made in a factory by mere mortals such a as myself. I bought the only 2 books available at the time on guitar construction and carefully built my own.

Hopefully that wasn't TMI!
Old 04-11-2024, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

My first acoustic was a Takamine G-330 (I think), purchased in 1998. It had a ramp where the neck met the body... it was kind of a mess.

My second acoustic guitar was my Bourgeois DR-A, purchased in 1999 that I still have and still think is a very good guitar. I got lucky.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 04-11-2024, 09:11 PM
Runaway Tomato

My first good guitar was my first guitar — a Gibson B-25 that was given to me by a fellow hippie in 1971. But I didn’t know it was a good guitar until long after I gave it away to someone else lol
Former AGF Moderator
Old 04-11-2024, 09:22 PM

First good guitar was/is my F212, got it in August of '65, still have it. Gets played regularly.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:24 PM

Used Takamine 12 string bought in 1981 in highschool. I was in a bunch of bands in school and with friends, playing electric guitar and trumpet. That Takamine was a real step up from the electric and the 6 string acoustic I was playing at the time. Stuck a dean markley or the like sound hole pickup in it and away we went. Had it through about 2000.

Last edited by Ceabeceabe; 04-11-2024 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

My first "good" guitar was a Guild D-40... I had saved my pennies for a couple years, and went down to Fullerton Music in Summer of 1967 and plunked down $269.32 for a brand new Guild D-40...

Man! I loved that guitar!!! Took it with me everywhere in the chipboard case it came in - even took it to Hawaii with me when I went off to college there...

That guitar was stolen from me when I lived in Ocean Beach, playing in a duo in 1974. Broke my heart... for a while, I actually wondered if I could still play guitar on something else...

I was wrong, of course, but it really hurt when that guitar was taken...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 04-12-2024, 05:13 AM
Charter Member

My first good guitar was a D28 purchased from Spicewood Music in Port Arthur, TX in 1967. Needed money in the late 70's and had to sell it. It's my biggest regret. Now, I'm shopping for a mid 60's D28. Big ouch for the price.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:28 AM

My first good acoustic guitar was a Martin D-28. I was in college and working part time at a music store. I seem to remember a price around $395, which was a lot more money some 55 years ago.

My wife's cousin has it now. I sold it to him so I could afford a piccolo trumpet many years ago.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 04-12-2024, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyo View Post
We all talked about her crummy first guitars
I want to hear about your first good guitar
Mine was a guild 25 factory black
I still miss that guitar
How about you?
Funnily enough so was mine. A Cherry red D25. Interesting to see so many Guilds as the first decent guitar.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

And here's another Guild story.

My first good guitar was a '99 Taylor 710, cedar over rosewood. Beautiful guitar, pretty woods. It was a big step up from my cheap old Alvarez.

But then I stumbled across a Guild D-46. Strummed it once and had to have it. Brought it home, sold the Taylor. I had that Guild for 23 years.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

My first "professional" guitar I bought was an electric guitar Built by a brand-new company in 1980.

It was a G&L F-100 series II Hardtail. I wish I still had that guitar. Same year I got my very first acoustic guitar(that wasn't borrowed from my Dad)

It was a used 1979 Guild D25M. Had it until just a couple years ago.
d25m.jpg
Old 04-12-2024, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Mid 60’s Gibson LGO. It actually belonged to my uncle, but he allowed me to keep it as long as I wanted. It’s the guitar I learned on as a kid. I wish I still had it.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

I started playing in late 1977 (age 18) on a horrible $60 pawnshop guitar - epically awful. I was a broke college student at the time. After I’d been playing about a year, I was sure I was gonna stick with it AND I was working and making decent money for a single kid in 1978. So I went around playing every good guitar I could find in Tucson for $500 or less. Head and shoulders above everything else I played (to MY ears and hands) was a 1968 D28, with a nice dark patina (I think guitars in Arizona got sunburnt too) and a couple of cleated repairs in the top. The guy at the shop (the OLD Rainbow Guitars, a tiny strip mall shop up on Grant right near Campbell, before they had their current big shop on Campbell between Grant and Ft. Lowell) kept going on about 68 being the last full year they used Brazilian rosewood, which meant nothing to me at the time, but he seemed pretty impressed by that. I paid somewhere around $400 or $425 for it, took it home, and it was my only acoustic guitar for 25 years. I sold it right around 20 years ago - I’d stopped playing and I was pretty sure I was done for good. I got about ten time what I paid for. If I’d known I was gonna get way back into playing, I might have kept it, but turns out dreads are too big for me to play comfortably anymore, so I’d have probably sold it eventually anyway. That was a wonderful guitar though, BIG amazing sound.

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion