The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-27-2014, 02:56 PM

Default Strings recommendation - Jazz

I have a new Kenny Hill New World Player - a crossover style guitar and I have been using D'Addario Pro Arte Nylon Core EJ45's. They sound and feel OK but there is more string noise than I want (especially with slurs of notes and chords). Would the Rectified Pro Arte EJ29's help with string noise? I prefer a mellow sound and don't want a harder tension string.

Any other suggestions? This is an acoustic only guitar.

Thanks.
MB
Old 12-27-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
I have a new Kenny Hill New World Player - a crossover style guitar and I have been using D'Addario Pro Arte Nylon Core EJ45's. They sound and feel OK but there is more string noise than I want (especially with slurs of notes and chords). Would the Rectified Pro Arte EJ29's help with string noise? I prefer a mellow sound and don't want a harder tension string.

Any other suggestions? This is an acoustic only guitar.

Thanks.
MB
Well, sooner or later, you'll need to change strings. Try them. Then you'll have your answer.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
I have been using D'Addario Pro Arte Nylon Core EJ45's. They sound and feel OK but there is more string noise than I want (especially with slurs of notes and chords). Would the Rectified Pro Arte EJ29's help with string noise?
I am assuming it is the wound bass strings that are giving you some noise? If so, try the polished set from D'Addario:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/daddar...l-set-151.html

'Rectified' refers to the unwound treble strings, rectified strings have a slightly rough surface compared the the normal smooth polished surface which makes for a different feel and slightly less bright sound.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:33 AM

I've used the La Bella Classical Guitar Studio 413P strings which are a flat wound nylon string. Acoustically they sound a little muted compared to round wound strings, but if you most play amplified, it is not an issue. No string squeak what-so-ever.

In the last several years I have preferred round wound strings for the volume and tone but if I were playing amplified and bothered by string squeak, I'd probably go back to the La Bella Guitar Studio strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical