The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-13-2016, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Default Entry level tube amp?

I'm looking at the Blues Jr. NOS, the Pro Jr., and the Bugera v22. Any others I should consider for home use and recording? How do you guys feel about the above amps?

Todd
Old 02-13-2016, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

So much depends on what you're prepared to spend. What do you have in mind for a budget?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-13-2016, 08:40 PM

Vox AC15.

Last edited by moon; 02-24-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:34 PM

I love my first-gen Bugera V22 - heard the new ones with the upgraded speaker and Infinium self-monitoring/biasing circuit are even better - and you're not likely to find that kind of tone for anything near the price...
Old 02-13-2016, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
So much depends on what you're prepared to spend. What do you have in mind for a budget?
Not too much. Around $500 maybe?

Todd
Old 02-14-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I'm looking at the Blues Jr. NOS, the Pro Jr., and the Bugera v22. Any others I should consider for home use and recording? How do you guys feel about the above amps?

Todd
It depends on how much power you need or want and the amount of needed headroom, Todd. Other things to consider are: Channel switching, reverb, size, weight.

I just bought a Laney Cub 10. It is easily as good as the Pro Jr. and was $249 brand new. About the same size too. Enough volume to play a small club with a tasteful drummer. It is voiced a bit darker than most Fenders. Here are some sound clips from Friday night in our living room - the guitar work is on the Laney. The Aldermans Electric

I bought a Vox ac10 before the Laney but sent it back because of excessive hum when turned down. It was a demo model. Others I played were dead quiet at idle. It was superior in tone to the Laney and the reverb was excellent. More chimey than Fender. Tons of power for a 10 watter. About twice the size of the Laney and a bit bigger than a Blues Jr. The size was a factor in going with the Laney for me as we gig regularly and I drive a Corolla.

The Vox Nighttrain is nice and has lots of options. I prefer simple myself. Tone, volume and pedal for dirt.

If you aren't playing it out you should look at 3-5 watters too. The AC4tv has plenty of volume and excellent tone for home recording. The Bugera V5 actually sounds remarkably good and has pretty good reverb too.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-14-2016, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

I picked up a Fender Pro Jr last week. 15 watts and 10" speaker. Wow! It is loud!

It breaks up early, so if you want crunch it has it. Cleans only at low volume. But the guitar forums are full of mods suggestions for how to change that.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:22 PM

musician's friend has hourly deals tomorrow. there MAY be something for you to pick up.

i have recently purchased the vox ac15 and love the amp. it will be a little over your $500 but it has a real spring reverb. the ac10 will be under your budget but has a digital reverb. the ac4 will be under your budget and can be had with a 12" speaker.

there are many amps used that you can look into also, including older gibson and fenders. i have a 65 sears silvertone 1482 that is a great amp with an excellent tremolo.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-14-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
musician's friend has hourly deals tomorrow. there MAY be something for you to pick up.

i have recently purchased the vox ac15 and love the amp. it will be a little over your $500 but it has a real spring reverb. the ac10 will be under your budget but has a digital reverb. the ac4 will be under your budget and can be had with a 12" speaker.

there are many amps used that you can look into also, including older gibson and fenders. i have a 65 sears silvertone 1482 that is a great amp with an excellent tremolo.

play music!
I had a 1482 for several years. Great amp w/wonderful tone and a beautiful tremolo circuit.

FWIW, yeah, the AC10 has digital verb but you can't tell - it was that good.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-14-2016, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This would be in your price range, then - it's my Egnater Tweaker 15. I think the heads go for $399 now - I took advantage of a GC coupon when I bought mine. It's paired with a 'used' Blackstar 1x12 cab I got from Sweetwater for about $100. There is a combo version too, but they run closer to $600.

It's a super amp - all those little switches actually do something useful, and it covers the gamut from clean Fender-ish to filthy Marshall-ish, with some pretty convincing Vox voicing along the way. Works well for home use - not sure how that versatility would translate to live, as there are no foot-switchable functions. It has an effects loop too, where my reverb/delay/looper pedals reside.

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-14-2016, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Check out the VHT "Ultra 6"... 6 watts (which can get REALLY LOUD) with a variable dial for wattage... lots of ways to "dial-in" the tone you want... set up for modifications should you choose... really solid amps, around $400 new...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-14-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Check out the VHT "Ultra 6"... 6 watts (which can get REALLY LOUD) with a variable dial for wattage... lots of ways to "dial-in" the tone you want... set up for modifications should you choose... really solid amps, around $400 new...
+1 on the special 6 ultra. I've got the combo version and it's an awesome little amp. Albeit made in China, they are hand wired and can take an array of tube combos. There are also a couple of site out there with DIY mods. If you check them out, make sure it's the ultra version which has a 12" speaker and the gain channel. I picked mine up new for 325 I believe.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:57 PM

I recommend the Blues Jr. If you were open to alternative amp, a Fender Mustang III is a good place to land.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 02-14-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
The only one in your list I have actual experience with is the Blues Jr, which is well within that budget (used), at least in my area

Pros: Plenty loud for home or small club use as long as you're not trying to use it in a balls-to-the-walls Rock band. Reasonably portable and lightweight for a true tube amplifier. Takes pedals well. The BillM mods are firmly established as an excellent dollar value, but not absolutely essential unless you're going to gig with drums a lot. Buy one used and it'll hold its dollar value very well on the used market

Cons: Getting a little harder to find these days, since they've apparently been out of production for a while now. Not a lot of tonal variety - it does what it does very well (Fenderish distorted tones) but don't expect the sort of tonal versatility you could get from the Egnater mentioned above. Stock, it is a bit thin on the bottom end, which is fine by me since I'm a bass player and guitar players stepping on my frequency range can be a bit annoying at times

I enjoyed mine very much and would still own it if circumstances hadn't forced me to sell it off for quick cash
Old 02-16-2016, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
I recommend the Blues Jr. If you were open to alternative amp, a Fender Mustang III is a good place to land.
Yes ... this!

The Blues Junior is my favorite tube amp on your list. (Fantastic amp).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars