The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-14-2017, 04:15 PM

Default Martin Titanium Core Strings

Just saw these on Martin's website. Wondering if anyone tried them? Martin Titanium Core Strings

Edit: round core!!! https://www.martinguitar.com/strings/titanium-core/
Old 01-14-2017, 04:22 PM

Sounds interesting.

Martin Titanium Core strings deliver the ultimate player’s experience with patented technology and a proprietary winding process only available from Martin! The patented technology and proprietary winding process delivers the most consistently wrapped string on the market and the consistency of the wrap affects every aspect of a string's playability, endurance, and tone. With Titanium Core strings, you will find the most superior intonation and tuning stability of any string you’ve ever played. And Titanium is naturally more flexible than steel, but just as strong, so the strings are easier to press down reducing finger fatigue. Even more amazing, the combination of Titanium and Nickel used in our Titanium Core strings provides natural corrosion resistance, meaning they will last a really, really long time under normal circumstances - See more at: https://www.martinguitar.com/strings....ZrMvyWUw.dpuf

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-14-2017, 04:26 PM

Hi Brucebubs,

Apparently it appeared on Martin's website just a couple of days ago. I was there last week and didn't see them, but today. I wrote to Strings and Beyond to ask when they'll have them in stock. They're having a free international shipping promotion currently. Yay!!!! Round core nickel wound. https://www.martinguitar.com/media/7...-sellsheet.pdf

Edite:
Core Wire: Round Titanium
Wrap Wire: Nickel
Plain Strings: Cryogenically Treated Stainless Steel

Wow!

Nickel wrap would be plated I'm guessing. Otherwise they'll say pure nickel. But that's a good thing for brightening up the guitar.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:43 PM

I'll try them for sure. Wonder what the cost will be. Titanium ain't cheap.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I'll try them for sure. Wonder what the cost will be. Titanium ain't cheap.
$39.99!!

I'm going to pre-order anyway http://shopstrings.martinguitar.com/p/titanium-core
Old 01-14-2017, 05:00 PM

"the ultimate player’s experience"

"the most consistently wrapped string on the market"

"the most superior intonation and tuning stability of any string you’ve ever played"

"more flexible than steel, but just as strong"

"provides natural corrosion resistance"

"they will last a really, really long time under normal circumstances"

"will make a Taylor GS Mini indistinguishable from a Pre-war Martin D-45"

...okay, I added the last line...

Sounds like every other string manufacturer can fold up shop as they won't be needed anymore!

Kidding aside, these are some grand claims but I'll try a set despite the marketing sensationalism.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspencer View Post
$39.99!!

I'm going to pre-order anyway http://shopstrings.martinguitar.com/p/titanium-core
On the other hand, I don't think I'll be trying them until I hear A LOT of amazingly positive feedback...
Old 01-14-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by email4eric View Post
"the ultimate player’s experience"

"the most consistently wrapped string on the market"

"the most superior intonation and tuning stability of any string you’ve ever played"

"more flexible than steel, but just as strong"

"provides natural corrosion resistance"

"they will last a really, really long time under normal circumstances"

"will make a Taylor GS Mini indistinguishable from a Pre-war Martin D-45"

...okay, I added the last line...

Sounds like every other string manufacturer can fold up shop as they won't be needed anymore!

Kidding aside, these are some grand claims but I'll try a set despite the marketing sensationalism.
I believe every word including the last line
Old 01-14-2017, 05:07 PM

I wonder if they bought out rohrbacher titanium strings. I used his strings a couple of years ago and they last over a year and a half. they were amazing but apparently he had some health issues and stopped making them. Can't even find his website any longer.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I wonder if they bought out rohrbacher titanium strings. I used his strings a couple of years ago and they last over a year and a half. they were amazing but apparently he had some health issues and stopped making them. Can't even find his website any longer.
Were theirs nickel wrapped?

I wonder what material the unwrap strings would be in the Martins. Ti I suppose yeah?
Old 01-14-2017, 05:21 PM

I am curious about one thing...

If titanium is just as strong as steel—and if they're already using titanium windings for four strings—why not go all the way and use titanium for the plain strings, too?

I'm guessing there's a pretty obvious answer. I hope someone here who knows more about strings than I do will have it.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:31 PM

Default Martin Titanium Core Strings

Martin just found a way to charge you $40 for a set of strings. Genius. And they are marketed towards old guys with money and reduced hand strength. Think they don't know their market? ;-)

Last edited by martingitdave; 01-14-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
I am curious about one thing...

If titanium is just as strong as steel—and if they're already using titanium windings for four strings—why not go all the way and use titanium for the plain strings, too?

I'm guessing there's a pretty obvious answer. I hope someone here who knows more about strings than I do will have it.
They should use titanium at this price.

I hope they'll clarify those things and whether it is nickel plated or pure nickel or if the 3rd string is wrapped.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:32 PM

Well if they are using a different material for the plain strings, the duration time of the set will be shortened to the time of the plain strings....meaning you'll be throwing out 4 good strings before their time or replacing 2 plain strings to keep the set alive... $39.99 ?? I don't think so, I'll stick with my Polywebs.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 01-14-2017, 05:32 PM

This sounds interesting, but I feel like it may be more marketing than substance. Titanium is considered to be a brittle metal, it's "strength" is more in it's rigidity than it's malleability, so having these things as string material seems rather odd. While I'm no material scientist, these are likely a titanium alloy, whereby the properties can be anyone's guess depending on the mix. I am intrigue by the strange gauge widths...if they are as "playable" as they claim...I might be charmed.

The only thing that makes me believe that it MIGHT live up to it's value is the price tag. Charging people 39.99 for a set of strings and having them be a flop will pissed off alot of players.

As far as Martin strings go, I prefer the tone over say elixirs which are nearly 3 times the price. But Martin strings have a fractional life compare to elixirs (between 1/6 to 1/10 of that of elixirs), and I just can't burn the time to restring every few weeks. I don't even have that many guitars, for some of the forum members here I would imagine string life would mean even more.
2019 Taylor Academy 12e-N

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion