The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-22-2024, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Default What are your thoughts on UA Helios Type 69?

I do not believe we have had discussions on this before?

Preamps can make some difference in tracking. Obviously preamps effect color & character through its type of transformers, capacitors & circuitry used? However would I be wrong in assuming it is also about letting the mic get to peak performance through the Amount & Type of power, the preamp is presenting? Of course the two are intertwined.

If the latter is true, then the question that begs to be asked is about preamp plugins and their effect on a signal after tracked. I would assume that only the color & character from the transformers, capacitors and circuitry would come into play with a preamp plug in?

Never the less I would love to get some of character I have heard from demos of the newer clone Helios 69 preamps. I believe a type of Helios was even used on the recording of Pete Townsend's guitar in Pinball Wizard.

Anybody with any experience on UA's Hellios Type 69 plugin versus the real thing or the new breed of clones 69 hardware? I can not afford the hardware...and UA Helios is on sale right now for $39.

Also, I can not figure out if they have truly upgraded this version since coming out? Or is it just that you can now use them with native without purchasing their gear?
Old 04-22-2024, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
Also, I can not figure out if they have truly upgraded this version since coming out? Or is it just that you can now use them with native without purchasing their gear?
It's unlikely that any sound-related upgrade has been made. UA doesn't do that very often and when they do, they almost always figure out a way to make it a new plugin that you'll have to buy into again. The move to native only affects where the processing takes place, either on an internal (blue-haired) dsp chip on a UA interface or on your computers cpu.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-22-2024, 09:20 PM

The update just adds the native processing (Spark) to the plugin, no sonic changes were made.

You can demo it, if you don't already have it. i would also demo the Lindell 69 by Plugin Alliance as another company's take on the same hardware.

I've listened to them both, and they definitely have mojo.

FWIW - I thought that pinball wizard was recorded on a Trident A. Maybe I'm misremembering that?

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 04-22-2024, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
I've listened to them both, and they definitely have mojo.

FWIW - I thought that pinball wizard was recorded on a Trident A. Maybe I'm misremembering that?
He doesn't specifically say he used Helios for Pinball wizard...and Pinball was recorded 69. and "The first Helios mixing console was commissioned by Keith Grant for Olympic Studios' new Studio Two in 1969, where the console was used to record projects by Jimi Hendrix, Procol Harum, Led Zeppelin, Traffic, The Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, and others." hmmm? So I think you are right, maybe not for Pinball Wizard.

Quote with a 2021 interview from Pete Townsend: 12th paragraph down after
Let’s Hear from Pete Townshend Himself

"Glyn’s best trick was with acoustic guitars. Especially with my J–200 with Tune-o-matic metal bridges — Keith Richards had the same guitar. (“Wild Horses“ is where you hear that Stones’ sound at its best). Glyn set the microphone up unusually far away from the sound hole, sometimes as much as 9 inches. Even more sometimes. He used Neumann U 67s rather than smaller capsules like KM 84s that other engineers preferred. He used Helios 69 mic-pre modules (78s on “Won’t Get Fooled“), a tiny amount of 2.4 and 10k, and a touch of the small Helios in-console compressor that was made by Audio & Design, a UK company. By the way, the 500 Series ADR compressor is a really good copy of that Helios compressor and sounds terrific on acoustic."

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/ic...t1-guitar-bass

Last edited by AcousticDreams; 04-23-2024 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-23-2024, 10:16 AM

Yeah, it may have been installed after those sessions. I know someone who was occasionally working there at that time. I will ask if they remember the details. That said...the sound is probably 20% the console/signal chain, & 80% the instrument & player. So, keep that in mind.

BTW. the A&DR Compex is a superb compressor. So few make a plugin version, but I've been loving the Kiive Audio Complexx. BOZ Digital makes one too. I have both, the Kiive wins most of the time because they added a SC HPF that wasn't on the original. That's probably not a big deal for guitars, but I use it on my drum bus, and I really like bringing the HPF SC up to keep the kick from pumping the compressor. Coincidentally, I believe the Compex was introduced in '69 as well. It's called a Compex because it also has an expander, so it was a COMPressor EXpander...Compex.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD